Need help buying my first AK!

Hey guys, ive been trying to get my hands on an AK for about a year now. Ive had a Bushmaster AR-15 for quite a while now and i love it, and im a fan of the my Yugo SKS. But AK's have always caught my eye and its time to get one. Ive been researching and shopping looking for the perfect fit. I am NOT looking for a home defense gun, or a SHTF scenario weapon. Im looking for a rifle for the range, i want something that is accurate at 100 yards minimum. Im picky, i absolutely will not accept a side folding or underfolding stock, and i would prefer to have a wooden stock though i might change it one day.

I looked at WASR's, stopped looking, looked again, gave up again. Theres just too much flipping of the coin when it comes to WASR's. my ideal AK would be an SGL 21 but i just dont have the funds for that. im looking in the 500 dollar range. I fell in love with the Yugo M70 but i couldnt find one without a folding stock. so i moved on and was settled on a Yugo M72 RPK for $525. Now of course to complicate things i ran across a Yugo M70 AK with solid wood stock for $469.

the RPK has refinished Yugo parts, new US receivers, a new US made green mountain barrel, and comes with 3 bulgarian polymer mags. The AK has heavy duty RPK style receivers. Nice parkerized finish, shiny bores, new receivers, slant cut muzzlebrake, and one used magazine. I am trying to get the best value here. Opinions?

Well you're on the saiga forums so I can only guess the answers you will get. wink.gif

But ill go ahead and give you a pointer. For the price range you describe you wont go wrong getting a Saiga and retoring it. You will find plenty of help here, Im sure of it!

As for a wood build, you will also find plenty of help here. Im sure some one can point you in that direction. I dont know about your price range with a wood build. But you can get a saiga from most the forum vendors here for well under 400 and spend a 100-150 or so doing a simple restoration depending on the deals.

You will have a quality the best ak. naaaa.gif

Here is a few of the forum vendors that sell guns and parts. If you have any more questions ask away, or you can check out the other sections of the forum, im sure you will find every thing you need.027.gif

http://shop.peachstateguns.com/product.sc?productId=570&categoryId=130

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct708.aspx

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-506/SAIGA-7.62X39-IZ-dsh-132-/Detail

Well I have thrown around the idea of doing the saiga conversion actually. But I'm not gunsmith and it looked complicated as far as the drill press into my gun and all. I AM a carpenter, so I guess it wudnt b all that far over my head but the gas system is what lost me. I guess its still an idea but I'm hesitant about it.

Well you're on the saiga forums so I can only guess the answers you will get. wink.gif

But ill go ahead and give you a pointer. For the price range you describe you wont go wrong getting a Saiga and retoring it. You will find plenty of help here, Im sure of it!

As for a wood build, you will also find plenty of help here. Im sure some one can point you in that direction. I dont know about your price range with a wood build. But you can get a saiga from most the forum vendors here for well under 400 and spend a 100-150 or so doing a simple restoration depending on the deals.

You will have a quality the best ak. naaaa.gif

Here is a few of the forum vendors that sell guns and parts. If you have any more questions ask away, or you can check out the other sections of the forum, im sure you will find every thing you need.027.gif

http://shop.peachstateguns.com/product.sc?productId=570&categoryId=130

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct708.aspx

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-506/SAIGA-7.62X39-IZ-dsh-132-/Detail

Well I have thrown around the idea of doing the saiga conversion actually. But I'm not gunsmith and it looked complicated as far as the drill press into my gun and all. I AM a carpenter, so I guess it wudnt b all that far over my head but the gas system is what lost me. I guess its still an idea but I'm hesitant about it.

Gas system?

You won't be messing with the gas system.

There is only one hole you'll need to drill (for the bullet guide, if you plan on using one).

Believe me, if you're a carpenter, you're over-qualified to do this.

Gas system?

There is only one hole you'll need to drill (for the bullet guide, if you plan on using one).

Im also curious what made you think you would be messing with the gas system. Maybe you have been looking at a more in depth conversion.

This is the video I used to do my conversion.

http://vimeo.com/2787027

Edited by Chevyman097

Correct, something I am extremely picky about is if I make a conversion I want it looking like an SGL. A very important thing to me is having the upper and lower handguards and not just the single saiga one. That's where things get complicated from what I understand.

Gas system?

Im also curious what made you think you would be messing with the gas system. Maybe you have been looking at a more in depth conversion.

I happen to have a NICE converted 20" barreled, wood furniture, 7.62 X 39 Saiga for sale... LOL

Check the for sale section... its in there along with a saiga 20 gauge... :up:

:smoke:

Correct, something I am extremely picky about is if I make a conversion I want it looking like an SGL. A very important thing to me is having the upper and lower handguards and not just the single saiga one. That's where things get complicated from what I understand.

That operation doesn't affect the gas system.

Gas system?

If by complicated you mean having to change out the gas tube...then yes. But that is actually less complicated than the conversion itself.

In other words you want this correct?

http://www.dinzagarm...2x39/akgt1.html

Edited by Chevyman097

Yugos are nice AKs, but heavier due to their RPK lineage. You're also probably looking at Century builds which are a gamble. It usually pays off, but it sometimes doesn't. Ask me how I know... :rolleyes:

If you are looking for better-than-average accuracy and a nice build without breaking the bank it's really hard not to pick a Saiga. And I'm not saying that because it's a Saiga board, they really do make nice AKs once converted. If you really like the look of wood, spring for some Ironwood furniture.

Now if you're looking for a historically accurate AK with a brake, cleaning rod, etc. it can still be done but at that point you may as well save up for a complete Arsenal conversion.

Yugos are nice AKs, but heavier due to their RPK lineage. You're also probably looking at Century builds which are a gamble. It usually pays off, but it sometimes doesn't. Ask me how I know... :rolleyes:

If you are looking for better-than-average accuracy and a nice build without breaking the bank it's really hard not to pick a Saiga. And I'm not saying that because it's a Saiga board, they really do make nice AKs once converted. If you really like the look of wood, spring for some Ironwood furniture.

Now if you're looking for a historically accurate AK with a brake, cleaning rod, etc. it can still be done but at that point you may as well save up for a complete Arsenal conversion.

Well, honestly i have to go back on my word if i actually do the saiga conversion. i wanted an AK to look classic with the wood and such. BUT if i get a saiga, im kindve set on the Dark Earth Tapco pistol grip and hanguards. ill end up getting a more classic AK eventually, and it will probably be a Yugo when i do. This is assuming i actually like the Saiga AK.

But actually now that i think about it i have a buddy looking for a 12 gauge or 410 so maybe we'll both do a conversion. Saiga should pay you guys or something.

Where's the best price i can get for a Saiga on the internet? Budsgunshop has them for $324. and where do you guys get parts, k-var?

Edited by s2thalayer

Correct, something I am extremely picky about is if I make a conversion I want it looking like an SGL...

If what you want is essentially a semi-auto AK-103, my advice is just to buy a SGL21 to start with. You'll save money, a lot of time, and potential frustration. ;)

Where's the best price i can get for a Saiga on the internet? Budsgunshop has them for $324. and where do you guys get parts, k-var?

I listed a couple links in an above post. Several of the vendors on these forums sells the saigas in various caliber. Many of them also sell conversion kits/parts. If you are a forum contributor you get discounts with many of the vendors as well.

But to be specific, I think Peach state or Carolina shooters supply has the cheapest. I havnt looked in a bit, you might want to check them all out.

Edited by Chevyman097

<snip> and where do you guys get parts, k-var?

K-Var does not sell "conversion parts kits" for RAAC Saigas.

If you value your dollar, you'll stay away from K-Var.

You have been warned.

Correct, something I am extremely picky about is if I make a conversion I want it looking like an SGL...

If what you want is essentially a semi-auto AK-103, my advice is just to buy a SGL21 to start with. You'll save money, a lot of time, and potential frustration. ;)

Yeah. Just save up your money for a little longer and get yourself that SGL21.

CSS has them for $325 and I think he said it was like $15 shipping, plus he has all of the parts to convert it. You should be able to convert for under $500 and You will have a brand new AK. As well as a good amount of knowledge of the internals of the AK.

As far as messing with the gas system, you'll only be needing to do that if you're going to change the gas block. The only reason to change the gas block is if you want one that has the hole for a cleaning rod and/or bayonet lugs on it. It is not necessary at all to change the gas block if all you want to do is put wood furniture on the rifle though. HOWEVER, to "properly" install the lower handguard retainer, you would need to remove the gas block. If you use a bolt on retainer, which isn't "correct" to the rifle, but they work and look fine in my opinion, then you won't have to worry about a thing. My advice would be to look into something other than a Saiga for your first AK. Perhaps look around your local gun shows, or online for things such as the Egyptian Maadi, or a Romanian SAR, as they tend to be good "no frills" AK's and are good starting points. There is nothing wrong with a WASR either in my opinion. I have one and it is just as good a shooter as my Saiga. Just make sure you can get a good WASR before you commit to buy it. If you can find something with a thumbhole stock, it's also stupid easy to put on a pistol grip and regular stock, and they can both be had really cheap online.

Agreed. That was especially the case back when they were on sale!

Agreed. That was especially the case back when they were on sale!

not an option, though i wish it was. my funds end at 600. thats my budget, cant go over that. My next rifle may be an SGL though. So my choices are more than likely a Yugo M70 AK or a Yugo M72 RPK. so basically what im looking at is accuracy vs mobility. and im stumped.

You can't go wrong with either. Underfolders aren't very comfortable to me, partially because of the lack of cheek weld and RPK's are big and heavy. If you want accuracy go RPK, if you want mobility go UF, if you want both go converted Saiga. They are all about the same price and under your budget.

"If you value your dollar, you'll stay away from K-Var.

You have been warned."

Whats wrong with k-var?

Selling "Saiga conversion kits", but not specifying they're only for the SGL-10 rifle for one.

I've spoken about K-Var and their shady business practices many times before. . .

"If you value your dollar, you'll stay away from K-Var.

You have been warned."

Whats wrong with k-var?

Selling "Saiga conversion kits", but not specifying they're only for the SGL-10 rifle for one.

I've spoken about K-Var and their shady business practices many times before. . .

Well you saiga guys well be happy to hear i have decided to go Saiga. Im tired of debating over RPK and AK. Every rifle i find has so many disadvantages and advantages and i can never find a well rounded rifle with everything i want, or without worrying about Century and their crappy creations. The whole idea of relying on any of these rifles seems ridiculous. So screw it, ill get a Saiga, do the conversion, and create the rifle I WANT. From what i understand its basically like the easy way to build your own rifle anyway. And what a lot of people tend to forget is the Saiga still fires rounds without a conversion. Its a decent rifle anyway, and dirt cheap. so why not. +1 for Saiga.

Edited by s2thalayer

K-Var is a great outfit. Not sure what shady practices you are referring to?

Search my posts. I've commented on their schemes before.

K-Var is a great outfit. Not sure what shady practices you are referring to?

Search my posts. I've commented on their schemes before.

No.