My local dealer has a new(unissued) yugo SKS and I really want it! The price is $325 and the thing looks dipped in cosmoline

and has a bayonet on the front, it weighs something like 9.2 lbs. I know its the only sks that doesnt have a chrome lined barrel but

Im not really concerned about that. Anybody have any experience with this weapon or have anything good or bad to say about it?

• Like 1

Just get all the cosmoline out and it should run great. I have a couple Yugos and have never had a problem. Passed on a Russian SKS the other day for $350--already have one.

I've got three, they're great rifles, cream of the crop for SKS!

Here's some articles to get you started...

The Last Great SKS: Yugo 59/66 v.2 - http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/lastgreatsks/index.asp

Yugo 59/66 Grenade Launcher Removal - http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/grlaunchremove/index.asp

Gas Valve Replacement - http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews2006/yugosksvalve/index.asp

I had a Yugo for a while and ended up selling it....not because I didn't like it but I was raising money for an M4. I had a problem with mine not cycling right. The round would fire and then the bolt would get stuck. Had to take a piece of wood and knock the bolt handle to release it. I cleaned the gun good and that took care of most of the problem but not all. I think replacing the gas valve would have had her running like a top. The trigger on mine was a little rough but other than that I loved the gun. She was very accurate, had little recoil, and was built like a tank. The gas valve seems to be troublesome for the Yugos so I would look into ordering a new one if you have any problems at all (when I looked into ordering one I think it was about $20 for the valve and screw). I really didn't have a problem with the barrel not being chrome lined. It made for a little longer cleaning sessions on mine but no biggie. I think you will like that SKS. You can't go wrong with one no matter what kind it is.

I've got three, they're great rifles, cream of the crop for SKS!

Here's some articles to get you started...

The Last Great SKS: Yugo 59/66 v.2 - http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/lastgreatsks/index.asp

Yugo 59/66 Grenade Launcher Removal - http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/grlaunchremove/index.asp

Gas Valve Replacement - http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews2006/yugosksvalve/index.asp

Thanks man that was great info.

• Like 1

Great rifles but.....No such thing as an Un-issued or Un-used Yugo SKS. Some were used less than others but all are used. At least that what my Serb buddies keep telling me.

Sounds awesome man, have fun with the rifle. In case there's any cosmoline left on there, a hair drier (or any heat source really) and mineral spirits also work great to remove that stuff.

Thanks for the tip. You mean mineral oil? Ive read for the wood that baking it in the oven on low for 20 min sucks the cos out

and then you can just wipe it away. The thing was so caked in glue like cosmoline the bolt would hardly cycle.

• Like 1

Sounds awesome man, have fun with the rifle. In case there's any cosmoline left on there, a hair drier (or any heat source really) and mineral spirits also work great to remove that stuff.

Thanks for the tip. You mean mineral oil? Ive read for the wood that baking it in the oven on low for 20 min sucks the cos out

and then you can just wipe it away. The thing was so caked in glue like cosmoline the bolt would hardly cycle.

No problem. Mineral Spirits, they sell it at the hardware store, usually in the section with the acetone and MEK, its great for getting the cosmo out of the metal parts and a big jug of it is only like $6-7. And yeah, baking it in the oven is a great way to get the cosmo out, even better than a drier/heat gun. The heat breaks the goop down into more of liquid, much easier, and yeah like you read it will pretty much wipe right off. Oven cleaner on the wood after a nice baking works great as well, but that takes the oil out of the stock too, so if you're not gonna refinish the wood I wouldn't take any oven cleaner to it.

I own a Yugo and a Chinese factory 26, there's alot of good info here http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php

Realize that your most likely buying a 100yd shooter. I don't think I'll get rid of my SKSs, but looking back, the money that I spent on them could have been spent on higher quality rifles. I payed about $275 ea for mine during the election panic. They were a great deal when you could get them for about $100 (I missed out on that)and I think that's why many people speak so highly of them.

OTOH, if you want a project(cosmoline)and truck gun that shoots the same ammo as your AK have fun.

This sight has some good info as well. Hope this helps.

http://surplusrifle.com/sks/index.asp

No problem. Mineral Spirits, they sell it at the hardware store, usually in the section with the acetone and MEK, its great for getting the cosmo out of the metal parts and a big jug of it is only like $6-7. And yeah, baking it in the oven is a great way to get the cosmo out, even better than a drier/heat gun. The heat breaks the goop down into more of liquid, much easier, and yeah like you read it will pretty much wipe right off. Oven cleaner on the wood after a nice baking works great as well, but that takes the oil out of the stock too, so if you're not gonna refinish the wood I wouldn't take any oven cleaner to it.

Awsome looks like itll be a project. Im going to soak all metal parts in the mineral spirits for an hour then wipe em down

and spray it them rem oil. Id like to refinish the wood but the color and quality is still nice, I can always do it

in the future.

• Like 1

I own a Yugo and a Chinese factory 26, there's alot of good info here http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php

Realize that your most likely buying a 100yd shooter. I don't think I'll get rid of my SKSs, but looking back, the money that I spent on them could have been spent on higher quality rifles. I payed about $275 ea for mine during the election panic. They were a great deal when you could get them for about $100 (I missed out on that)and I think that's why many people speak so highly of them.

OTOH, if you want a project(cosmoline)and truck gun that shoots the same ammo as your AK have fun.

This sight has some good info as well. Hope this helps.

http://surplusrifle.com/sks/index.asp

Thats a good sight thanks. I plan on using it between 50-200 yards from what I hear it should have no problem with those ranges. I wont be using it for

shtf or anything just something fun and add to my collection.

I plan on using it between 50-200 yards from what I hear it should have no problem with those ranges.

When I bought mine I expected that too. 200 yds from your SKS is an impressive shot.

I plan on using it between 50-200 yards from what I hear it should have no problem with those ranges.

When I bought mine I expected that too. 200 yds from your SKS is an impressive shot.

Your starting to bum me out about getting my sks lol. I can hit targets at 200 with an AK

and everywhere Ive read about the SKS says they are inherently more accurate than an AK

so I guess we'll have to see what happens. I really hope I can put 10 rounds

inside a torso sized target at 200 because that is my goal. Ive seen vids where people are shooting

at a bucket at 130 and nailed it every time.

No man, not trying to bum you out. Just trying to share some experience, take it for what its worth. There's a lot of history in those SKSs. Milsurp rifles have been a hobby of mine for a while. I'm interested in what your results are, please post them.

WARNING do NOT shoot the SKS until you disassemble the bolt and clean the firing pin and the channel it rides in. Use a punch and drive the retaining pin out to get firing pin out. These guns were dipped in cosmoline, and it can cause the firing pin to stick and cause doubling or even a runaway. Once cleaned and oiled they are very nice guns!

I got mine for $90, nice gun. The are fun shooting guns not terribly accurate but awesome for plinking. If 7.62x39 comes under 200 a case it will see a lot more use.

I added a scope mount to mine as the bayonet was sawn off already.

PS you can rinse the firing pin channel out with carburetor cleaner. Shake the bolt, if the firing pin rattles freely your probably ok. If it sticks at all take it apart and clean it more.

EDIT2: You can shoot stuff at 200 yards. Just needs to be a largish target about 8 inches or better.

No man, not trying to bum you out. Just trying to share some experience, take it for what its worth. There's a lot of history in those SKSs. Milsurp rifles have been a hobby of mine for a while. I'm interested in what your results are, please post them.

I should be at the long out door range in a week or so, Ill def post results from 50, 100, and 200 yards. This is my first milsurp and

Im starting to get into it more, I like the history behind them.

After I give all the metal parts a bath in mineral spirits/kerosene I plan on rinsing them off with hot water

drying them then spray the metal parts down with rem oil and reassembling. Is this ok?

Edited by saigalupo

WARNING do NOT shoot the SKS until you disassemble the bolt and clean the firing pin and the channel it rides in. Use a punch and drive the retaining pin out to get firing pin out. These guns were dipped in cosmoline, and it can cause the firing pin to stick and cause doubling or even a runaway. Once cleaned and oiled they are very nice guns!

Will do thanks!Im just worried about if all the internal

parts are good to go and not rusty or something.

I got mine for $90, nice gun. The are fun shooting guns not terribly accurate but awesome for plinking. If 7.62x39 comes under 200 a case it will see a lot more use.

I added a scope mount to mine as the bayonet was sawn off already.

PS you can rinse the firing pin channel out with carburetor cleaner. Shake the bolt, if the firing pin rattles freely your probably ok. If it sticks at all take it apart and clean it more.

EDIT2: You can shoot stuff at 200 yards. Just needs to be a largish target about 8 inches or better.

Thats a damn good price I would have bought 3!

Well I picked up my banged up un issued Yugo SKS on Monday, the thing was in bad shape and CaKeD in cosmoline.

But the metal was good and all the numbers matched so I had that going for me.

After 2 bags of terry towels, a box of Q-tips and about 7 hours I got every bit of cos out of the rifle.

I then decided to re finish the stock because it was dirty and stunk. I started by using this stuff called krud kutter

and a brush to strip/clean the stock, then rinised it off with hot water and stuck it in the oven for 15 mins to dry all the way through.

Then sanded it with 220 grit sand paper then went to 400 grit. After that I put a coat of tru oil on, waited 2 hours

and then buffed with 0000 steel wool. I repeated that step 3 more times throughout the day.

This was my first surplus rifle and it was a big pain in the ass! But it came out good and now I want to do

another one, Im thinking Mosin Nagant. Im taking it out for a test shoot tomarrow and for as much work

as I put into it, it better shoot like a motherfucker!

post-24640-041341100 1276068942_thumb.jpg