Greetings all,

I am considering doing a SBS Saiga 12 this summer, and have already read every available piece of info on this I could find. I have access to and can operate a lathe, a mill, welders, and a press along with many other tools. I read the article about turning the Vodka Special into something that works, and the link on this site thats basicly a FAQ of SBS S-12's. Both were very helpful and answered most of my questions.

My only remaining concern is the removal of the barrel. Is there a special tool required for this, or can I make some kind of jig that will allow me to press it out?

If I can talk my wife into letting me spend the money, I'll probably start this project in a couple weeks.

Thank you for any help that can be offered.

David

You have to make the tooling to remove the barrel from a Saiga-12. No one sells it.

You need to machine a pusher plug that is inserted into the chamber and extends rearward about 1". Then you slide a 3/4" square bar through the magwell that impinges on the end of the pusher plug. Then slide a pipe over the barrel which presses against the front of the receiver. It should extend about 1" past the muzzle. Put the whole thing in a hydraulic press with the barrel up and support the 3/4" bar at the bottom of the press' frame. Then press down on the pipe to drive the receiver down and off the barrel shank.

That's the easy part. The hard part is clocking the barrel correctly when you press it back in and set the headspace. You should have headspace gauges for that, or you can just wing it and hope for the best.

Tony

• Like 1

I've never pulled a barrel on the 12, but have done several AK's. Here is an easy way to put the barrel back in, and it's pretty easy to index it....

It's a scrap piece of metal, a length of all-tread, some nuts and washers.

AMD8.jpg

AMD10.jpg

AMD9.jpg

Maybe this will give you some ideas.....

Edited by TheKid
  • Like 2

I've never pulled a barrel on the 12, but have done several AK's. Here is an easy way to put the barrel back in, and it's pretty easy to index it....

It's a scrap piece of metal, a length of all-tread, some nuts and washers.

AMD8.jpg

AMD10.jpg

AMD9.jpg

Maybe this will give you some ideas.....

That's the most compact press I've ever seen.... :smoke: Excellent idea.

Thanks....I have a 20 Ton press to remove the barrel, but using this method to put it back in is so easy, plus you can go nice and slow, making it easy to get it back into the exact spot for the cross pin....

Ive pressed in countless AK barrels with a press before I found the threaded rod way and that threaded rod thing really is the easiest and most controllable way to do it. Make sure you deburr and lube the barrel up well with anti seize before you start. When pressing it in just make sure the pin slot lines up and your headspace will not have changed.

Edited by wired

Since nobody else asked: Why are you wanting to remove the barrel? If you are filing for SBS just wait until your stamp/trust is granted then cut the barrel with it still attached to the receiver.

I'm assuming he is going to move the gas system. It'd be pretty hard to turn down the barrel for the gas block with the receiver attached I'm sure.

Thanks for the quick replies!

I like the idea of an 11" barrel, but the 8" look pretty killer. I am planning on moving the FGB, and I want to do everything right if I pull the trigger on this project. The plan is to cut the barrel down to 18.5" and get started with all the mods, then when the tax stamp comes in I can chop it the rest of the way.

You have to make the tooling to remove the barrel from a Saiga-12. No one sells it.

You need to machine a pusher plug that is inserted into the chamber and extends rearward about 1". Then you slide a 3/4" square bar through the magwell that impinges on the end of the pusher plug. Then slide a pipe over the barrel which presses against the front of the receiver. It should extend about 1" past the muzzle. Put the whole thing in a hydraulic press with the barrel up and support the 3/4" bar at the bottom of the press' frame. Then press down on the pipe to drive the receiver down and off the barrel shank.

That's the easy part. The hard part is clocking the barrel correctly when you press it back in and set the headspace. You should have headspace gauges for that, or you can just wing it and hope for the best.

Tony

Is there any way you can post pics of the tooling you have made? I think I get it, but its kinda hard to picture with words.

Kid, is it just the camera angle or is your washer on the end beginning to warp? If so, try using a harmonic balancer washer off a small block Chevy, they aren't very expensive and are thick enough to handle the stress.

Good idea on that barrel press btw! :super:

Ok so would an acceptable method be to chuck the barrel up by the muzzle, then extend the cut back toward the reciever away from the muzzle? The jaws on our lathe are pretty big, but I don't have the exact dimensions.

A steady rest

The barrel at the end is fairly straight

post-8026-045881800 1276563376_thumb.jpg