Has anyone bought a new .308 as in a 2010 model? If so, what is the quality like compared to the older ones, are they better or worse. I've got a long barreled Saiga 308, but want a 16" and need to know whether to look for a new one or one from '08 or so.

Thanks!

I maybe wrong, but these and all rifles can not be imported anymore, since 1996 the Clinton ban... I could be wrong...

HUH? I think you may be thinking something totally different. The Saiga .308s started being imported in like 2000, I know for a fact that mine is an 05. I'm guessing you have an extra tab up talking about MAKs or some other Chinese rifle?

I think you may actually be better off with a 2010 import then the 08s. The demand was much higher in 08 so they probably paid less attention. I felt a few 08s over at a local shop and they felt gritty compared with my 05, however my 05 has been used like a rented mule so its probably just worn smooth.

The old EAAs look a little more refined but you will be hard pressed to find a unfired one. So I'd probably just buy what is available.

I maybe wrong, but these and all rifles can not be imported anymore, since 1996 the Clinton ban... I could be wrong...

HUH? I think you may be thinking something totally different. The Saiga .308s started being imported in like 2000, I know for a fact that mine is an 05. I'm guessing you have an extra tab up talking about MAKs or some other Chinese rifle?

I think you may actually be better off with a 2010 import then the 08s. The demand was much higher in 08 so they probably paid less attention. I felt a few 08s over at a local shop and they felt gritty compared with my 05, however my 05 has been used like a rented mule so its probably just worn smooth.

The old EAAs look a little more refined but you will be hard pressed to find a unfired one. So I'd probably just buy what is available.

Like I said I was not sure, the way things are going it was a valid mistake. Thanks for the clarification.....

How can I tell when mine was manufactured?? Thanks again

Its the first two numbers of the serial number. And it is also stamped on the receiver in front of the scope side rail, directly under a mark that looks like a circle with an arrow going upward through it. That is the model year of the gun (and mine is a 06 not a 05).

Its the first two numbers of the serial number. And it is also stamped on the receiver in front of the scope side rail, directly under a mark that looks like a circle with an arrow going upward through it. That is the model year of the gun (and mine is a 06 not a 05).

Nice I have an 07 and have had it for 2+ years so mine was just imported when I got her lol.... Thanks for this info and the correction.... Amazing that the Gov is still allowing these to be imported.....

Nice I have an 07 and have had it for 2+ years so mine was just imported when I got her lol.... Thanks for this info and the correction.... Amazing that the Gov is still allowing these to be imported.....

Why would you say that?

I would say that its amazing that the people are still letting the government put restrictions on our 2nd amendment right.

Oh yeah? and what exactly would you do about it? You can not get organized, and even if you could this Gov will over power you in an instance.... They have tanks, choppers, jets and they are all fully loaded, what do you have, your Saiga 308? LOL....

BTW, according to the Constitution (2nd amendment) you must be a "ORGANIZED MILITIA" so since you can not get organized you are considered terrorists and will be treated as such....

"Why would you say that" - Because it is the truth.......

BTW, according to the Constitution (2nd amendment) you must be a "ORGANIZED MILITIA" so since you can not get organized you are considered terrorists and will be treated as such....

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Nothing in the exact syntax mentions an organized militia. The term regulated did not mean directed from above but rather self-organized, capable, and self sufficient (term usage at the time). Finally, every swinging dick was by default a member of the state militia...and that is still the case today whether people realize it or not.

You are right in that the gov does have tanks, choppers, jets, ships, etc. But someone needs to operate those things. If it came down to that scenario, those operators are probably going to be Americans who are woefully ignorant of our past and the framers' intent.

• Like 1

LOL, That's the way that most topics get anyway! My 22" (I know, they aren't really a 22", but for arguments sake) is an 08, as well as my .223 and my x39. Guess I got lucky on them, for they are some fine firearms, shoot well, don't care what ya run through them, etc. but I was curious. I'm getting a price from my local part time gun shop, but I need to get him to see what year it is before I order. I say "part time" because the owner (now 80) started the shop when he retired because his wife said that his cronies couldn't be hangin round the house talkin guns all day, so he opened up a little shop and sells a few guns to go with all the BS...er witty conversation that goes on there. He only charges a few percent profit to keep the doors open and to keep his FFL current.

Hope all had a wonderful fourth!

P.S. I would REALLY love to get my hands on an EAA, but I know the chances of that in my budget range are slim to none!

Edited by unclejake

LOL, That's the way that most topics get anyway! My 22" (I know, they aren't really a 22", but for arguments sake) is an 08, as well as my .223 and my x39. Guess I got lucky on them, for they are some fine firearms, shoot well, don't care what ya run through them, etc. but I was curious. I'm getting a price from my local part time gun shop, but I need to get him to see what year it is before I order. I say "part time" because the owner (now 80) started the shop when he retired because his wife said that his cronies couldn't be hangin round the house talkin guns all day, so he opened up a little shop and sells a few guns to go with all the BS...er witty conversation that goes on there. He only charges a few percent profit to keep the doors open and to keep his FFL current.

Hope all had a wonderful fourth!

P.S. I would REALLY love to get my hands on an EAA, but I know the chances of that in my budget range are slim to none!

I have to agree with you, mine will swallow anything I put down her throat, I love the rifle, as far as any difference I do not see them changing anything major on such a great weapon......

I know it! I love having a semi-auto 308 that is so robust and accurate! I mean, if I want sub moa, I'll break out one of my bolt guns, but my 308 is WAY plenty accurate enough for any job I ask it to do, and with plenty of rounds behind the first one! Having just started back to work after almost a year off from a lay-off, I'm having to save up my pennies to get a FCG from Dinzag to make it even better! That's the only beef I have with the 308 is the trigger. I have done conv...err restorations to my 223 and the x39, but the 308 had to be put off from lack of a job. I am just thankfull that I didn't have to part with any of my firearms at all, although it got close more than a few times! I'll tell y'all, it is a blessing having a good job!

I know it! I love having a semi-auto 308 that is so robust and accurate! I mean, if I want sub moa, I'll break out one of my bolt guns, but my 308 is WAY plenty accurate enough for any job I ask it to do, and with plenty of rounds behind the first one! Having just started back to work after almost a year off from a lay-off, I'm having to save up my pennies to get a FCG from Dinzag to make it even better! That's the only beef I have with the 308 is the trigger. I have done conv...err restorations to my 223 and the x39, but the 308 had to be put off from lack of a job. I am just thankfull that I didn't have to part with any of my firearms at all, although it got close more than a few times! I'll tell y'all, it is a blessing having a good job!

1st off congrats on the job. Big difference when you change out the trigger, I put a Red Star adjustable 2 stage trigger on her and I love it... As far as accuracy, I did not buy this for sub-moa shots but the ability to put lead down range and on target... You are right, if I want accuracy I would use my Remington 700 PSS 300 WM, I can get a .456" 5 shot group, @ 300 yards using 180gr Nosler & Varget powder.....

Gongrats on the job again......

I don't want to argue with you or anyone else, so here it is in a nut shell:

Not arguing at all, just seeking to dispel ignorance as I run into it. Kind of like your belief that Saiga .308's were banned from import.

I know of the contemporary usage of the term "regulate". You fail to note that I distinguished there was a different usage of the term at the time the amendment was written.

As found in this article (emphasis mine):

"From my reading of material from the colonial era, I have come to

understand that "well regulated militia" had a meaning at that time

(ca. 1789) in the nature of "a properly functioning militia" - which

would mean something along the lines of a properly trained and equipped

militia (since it was common at that time for militiamen to bring their

own firearms, with which they were already proficient.)...

This interpretation is also borne out by some old or obsolete

definitions in the Oxford English Dictionary. 'Regulated' has an

Obsolete definition [b.] 'Of troops: Properly disciplined' "

• Like 2

I would say that its amazing that the people are still letting the government put restrictions on our 2nd amendment right.

Oh yeah? and what exactly would you do about it? You can not get organized, and even if you could this Gov will over power you in an instance.... They have tanks, choppers, jets and they are all fully loaded, what do you have, your Saiga 308? LOL....

and attitudes like yours just make it possible for us to lose our rights under the Constitution. Go drink your cool aid.

• Like 2

I don't want to argue with you or anyone else, so here it is in a nut shell:

Not arguing at all, just seeking to dispel ignorance as I run into it. Kind of like your belief that Saiga .308's were banned from import.

I know of the contemporary usage of the term "regulate". You fail to note that I distinguished there was a different usage of the term at the time the amendment was written.

As found in this article (emphasis mine):

"From my reading of material from the colonial era, I have come to

understand that "well regulated militia" had a meaning at that time

(ca. 1789) in the nature of "a properly functioning militia" - which

would mean something along the lines of a properly trained and equipped

militia (since it was common at that time for militiamen to bring their

own firearms, with which they were already proficient.)...

This interpretation is also borne out by some old or obsolete

definitions in the Oxford English Dictionary. 'Regulated' has an

Obsolete definition [b.] 'Of troops: Properly disciplined' "

Case and point....... You have no properly TRAINED OR (especially) EQUIPPED militia, so you have nothing...

So what you are saying is that the Constitution is old and needs to be revamped. (this is not a question)

Every time that a person is proven wrong they revert to "old dictionary", where in the hell do you think that they got the words when they drafted the Constitution, it was from these old dictionaries.....

Ignorance is bless.... Sorry Jake

I think it's cute that people believe the gov't is all powerful and all knowing. All those tanks, planes, and bombs sure helped the Soviet Union, East Germany, Hungary, etc when their respective commie govt's collapsed overnight.

Edited by choobie

Well it seems we stopped the BO regime from enacting any further legislative restrictions, and are working on the illegal regulations. We have been more successful these last two years than anyone thought possible. Just in 2008 sales Americans bought enough firearms to equip both the ChiCom army and India. Those are the first and third largest armies in the world.

As for militia each and every person of age is in fact a default member. Anyone who actually stopped talking long enough to read what was written concerning the 2cd amendment by the framers themselves would also know the amendment was clearly intended to prevent any attempt at disarming American citizens. Perhaps they do not know it was an act of gun control responsible for Lexington/Concord.

BTW you may want to ask the North Vietnamese about the invulnerability of all those tanks, choppers, and jets. Or perhaps the Russians about how a huge oppressive regime can never fall. Insurrection is and will always be most about what people believe than the military hardware involved. While Americans that are working to save this republic have their problems, including people that think little of their chances, we have truth on our side.

Edited by Rhodes1968

Well it seems we stopped the BO regime from enacting any further legislative restrictions, and are working on the illegal regulations. We have been more successful these last two years than anyone thought possible. Just in 2008 sales Americans bought enough firearms to equip both the ChiCom army and India. Those are the first and third largest armies in the world.

As for militia each and every person of age is in fact a default member. Anyone who actually stopped talking long enough to read what was written concerning the 2cd amendment by the framers themselves (What?) would also know the amendment was clearly intended to prevent any attempt at disarming American citizens. Perhaps they do not know it was an act of gun control responsible for Lexington/Concord.

BTW you may want to ask the North Vietnamese about the invulnerability of all those tanks, choppers, and jets. Or perhaps the Russians about how a huge oppressive regime can never fall. Insurrection is and will always be most about what people believe than the military hardware involved. While Americans that are working to save this republic have their problems, including people that think little of their chances, we have truth on our side.

LOL - You may want to read up on which country's have a Constitution. No other Country except the United States has a Constitution, or even a Bill of Rights, here your rights are violated and you might be able to do something about it "IF" you have money, otherwise you are screwed, in other countries you have rights but since you have no recourse to fall back on you are very screwed....

LOL too funny..... Here the current Government in the US is double and triple taxing the people, they are bailing out banks and other companies, at the cost of the American people which is called tax (Taxation without representation) and you so called militia still have done nothing! Where are the militia? Why have they not moved against the Government? Oh I see you are just hiding behind words on a piece of paper... Cowards :lolol: :lolol:

Hi Jake

My friend just bought a new 308 Saiga and brought it out to shoot over the 4th. I didn't see any real difference between it and the older model I used to have. Not sure how old mine was, but I'm guessing 05 or 06. We didn't shoot it for accuracy however. Just had water bottles set up at different distances.

As for the govt being able to quell any civilians, what the Constitution means, or who is or is not a coward..... How about someone please start a different thread for that if they want to discuss it, instead of posting it in this thread? That keeps the participants in each thread on topic and makes the moderator's jobs easier.

Corbin

• Like 1