Recommendation on an Open/Mini Red Dot

So I've had a Bushnell Pistol and Shotgun red dot on my Saiga for quite a while, and have loved the hell out of it, but want to replace it with an inexpensive open/mini reflex. Something with better a better field of view.

Anyone know of a cheap passable mini model that'll hold up to the beating from a Saiga? I'm not carrying it in the field--just plinkin' at the range, doing a little varmit hunting, and maybe some light competition stuff--so I don't want to drop a few hundred bucks on a Trijicon or EOTech.

Well you'd never get a way with a mere few hundred on a Aimpoint, EoTech nor Trijicon, anyways. :rolleyes:

I don't buy cheap shit, and there isn't any cheap shit that will hold up to any high recoil firearm.

But I do buy quality, inexpensive products, especially when they have fantastic Unlimited Lifetime warranties with awesome Customer Service.

And the red dot that fills that niche is the Vortex Strikefire, it has held zero on .22lr, 5.56 and 54R rifles.

I had one issue with mine, Vortex CS had a printable shipping label in my email in minutes and it was back to me about a week later, never another problem with the scope.

That said, never had one on a shottie, and the S12 is a beast when it comes to recoil.

Perhaps either a C-more or Burris FastFire, would be better suited.

Small, rugged, reliable and relatively inexpensive.

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 1

I know it's not exactly an "open/mini red dot", but I just bought a PK-A w and BP-02 side mount, (<$200 total), for my rifle that I plan to try out on my S-12 as well, (shooting skeet). I think it might work out nicely. 12 ga recoil shouldn't be a problem.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

Burris FastFire for me.

+1. I have the FastFire II mounted on mine. Put a few thousand rounds through it so far and it still going strong. I tried putting an Aimpoint on mine and (with my experience) the Aimpoint sight picture sat to high for my liking. I would have to either get a cheek riser for my stock, or a different red dot. So I went with the FastFire II.

You'll definitely want to buy a quality red dot (FastFire, Dr. Optic, JPoint, Aimpoint, Eotech) because if you mount a cheap one on there it will not last long. Also you'll notice when shooting (especially when shooting fast) when you pull the trigger you'll see the red dot actually disappear each time the S12 fires. That's a good sign that the sight is about to fail. That won't happen with a higher quality red dot as mentioned above!

I know it's not exactly an "open/mini red dot", but I just bought a PK-A w and BP-02 side mount, (<$200 total), for my rifle that I plan to try out on my S-12 as well, (shooting skeet). I think it might work out nicely. 12 ga recoil shouldn't be a problem.

Ive done the PK-A thing. Its hard to keep it on the gun on a shotgun. Even tightening the piss out of the mount will find the scope on the ground after 100 or so rounds. The field of view is too narrow for skeet shooting as well. Its a nice red dot for a rifle. Not so great for a shotgun.

Ive done the PK-A thing. Its hard to keep it on the gun on a shotgun. Even tightening the piss out of the mount will find the scope on the ground after 100 or so rounds. The field of view is too narrow for skeet shooting as well. Its a nice red dot for a rifle. Not so great for a shotgun.

I guess you have "done the PK-A thing", now that I look at your avatar. :D

Thanks for the tips. Does the scope really get shaken loose after 100 rounds of birdshot? Regardless, yes the fov is fairly narrow, but I think I might be able to compensate for that.

We'll see. I didn't buy the scope for the shotgun, I just thought it might be fun to try it out on my S-12 since it mounts with the standard side rail.

I guess you have "done the PK-A thing", now that I look at your avatar. :D

Thanks for the tips. Does the scope really get shaken loose after 100 rounds of birdshot? Regardless, yes the fov is fairly narrow, but I think I might be able to compensate for that.

We'll see. I didn't buy the scope for the shotgun, I just thought it might be fun to try it out on my S-12 since it mounts with the standard side rail.

It does move more with buckshot. Ive had to pick it up off the ground a few times. Not the best feeling in the world when that happens. Its a sturdy scope to be sure but it's heavy and you really have to tighten that pinch clamp down hard to keep it from moving against the recoil.