Convert a Saiga or get a Romanian AK?

If the parts in the WASRs are rejected parts, then the parts the original issued rifles were made out of are also rejected parts. It would be much safer and cheaper to send any rejected parts back to the foundry and make them into correct parts. This would be true under Soviet rule, and especially more true when sending the rifles to civilians, and even more so Americans who will sue over a cup of coffee being hot.

I think the reason he says they are rejected parts is because when it came time to refurbish them, they didn't make the grade to be refurbished for their needs. So you can demill the parts and put them on a single stack receiver and sell them into the US market.

WASRs have gotten better over the years. A recently imported one won't have the mag well hogged out quite as much, and they may be working harder on straight sights etc.

But a parts gun from 1968 versus a new gun from 2009 would make me think twice.

With all that said.

until Saigas are down to $240 it doesn't make me want to buy another one for converting.

I'd consider the WASR since their QC has gotten better over the last two years.

What he said. After cherry-picking through WASR's I found the one. Nothing was canted, no mag wobble, and tested it with some snap caps and it cycles perfectly. I recently stained the wood blue to make it a bit more my own, and I'm really happy with it. It's rock solid. The thing about buying a WASR, is not to rush it. Take your time and look at multiple ones. If you're intent on buying it, pop the dustcover off and take it apart on the spot. The person selling it shouldn't mind, and if they do, fuck 'em and go search elsewhere. When I bought mine, I was allowed to do anything I wanted to that gun to make sure it was the one.

• Like 1

They'd not be my first choice as a SHTF weapon though, (my SGL would), which is what anyone's first AK should be, imo.

So when's the wedding?

"SGL this" "SGL that" "SGL SGL SGL"

Sheesh, give it a break.

The SGL21 is my favorite 7.62x39 rifle and one I sold a couple other weapons to pick up. I'm sorry if you don't "approve". I think it's one of the best available, regardless of price, (and they're not very expensive), so I recommend it.

When have I ever made a false claim about the model? :huh:

If you substitute "bone-stock IZ-132" for "SGL" in my above quote, do you agree with my general sentiment then?

Edited by post-apocalyptic

They'd not be my first choice as a SHTF weapon though, (my SGL would), which is what anyone's first AK should be, imo.

So when's the wedding?

Sheesh, give it a break.

The SGL21 is my favorite 7.62x39 rifle and one I sold a couple other weapons to pick up. I'm sorry if you don't "approve".

I never said I disapproved.

My point is: There aren't many threads here involving firearms that you don't stick your "SGL IS THE RIFLE GOD USES" sort of comments.

We get it. You like your SGL.

We're just tired of hearing about it ALL THE TIME.

• Like 1

So when's the wedding?

Sheesh, give it a break.

The SGL21 is my favorite 7.62x39 rifle and one I sold a couple other weapons to pick up. I'm sorry if you don't "approve".

I never said I disapproved.

My point is: There aren't many threads here involving firearms that you don't stick your "SGL IS THE RIFLE GOD USES" sort of comments.

We get it. You like your SGL.

We're just tired of hearing about it ALL THE TIME.

"We"? Ya got a mouse in your pocket or something? Cause you're the only one who really bitches about it.

Besides, I don't think God uses a SGL. I think He uses a M2, from the hip. :D

So when's the wedding?

Sheesh, give it a break.

The SGL21 is my favorite 7.62x39 rifle and one I sold a couple other weapons to pick up. I'm sorry if you don't "approve". I think it's one of the best available, regardless of price, (and they're not very expensive), so I recommend it.

If you substitute "bone-stock IZ-132" for "SGL" in my above quote, do you agree with my general sentiment then?

Post-A, you need to keep that SGL 21 but one thing I am surprised is that you don't seem to have the collector's sickness yet.

Do you have any other AK's in the stable yet?

The SGL will remain the bee's knees but for folks that didn't get the $500 deal, it isn't as attractive.

Add on to that, the fact that some of Arsenal's marketing tactics are down right dickish. They leave a sour taste with some of their tactics. Including the fact that they continually discover something hidden in their warehouse and have a "huge" sale. You know like regularly every few months.

I love my restored Saiga.....should I go on?

And we arent married...its common law...

I love my official russian zombie survival tools. I guess it's like marriage. Until death, we do not part. Divorce is not an option LOL

Molon labe

3486gkn.jpg

Edited by my762buzz

So when's the wedding?

Sheesh, give it a break.

Post-A, you need to keep that SGL 21 but one thing I am surprised is that you don't seem to have the collector's sickness yet.

Do you have any other AK's in the stable yet?

The SGL will remain the bee's knees but for folks that didn't get the $500 deal, it isn't as attractive.

Add on to that, the fact that some of Arsenal's marketing tactics are down right dickish. They leave a sour taste with some of their tactics. Including the fact that they continually discover something hidden in their warehouse and have a "huge" sale. You know like regularly every few months.

Oh, I've got the "collector's sickness" alright.. but due to my ongoing legal battle, (paid ~$8000 to bloodsucking lawyers so far), I haven't had the required funding to indulge. It's been painful. :sick:

I've had a few different AK's that've passed through my gunsafe. First was a WASR 10/63; good shooter, so-so fit and finish. Sold it for $850 FTF. :smoke: Then I had a Yugo M70-AB2; another good rifle, but I discovered that I don't really like underfolders, (uncomfortable and limited), and the rifle was too damn heavy. I also owned a Lancaster model 3060 "Russian Red", (Romy G build), rifle for a few days.. that one's build was such shit that I returned it unfired for a refund. Never waste your $ on a Lancaster!!!!! I'm just glad that I didn't buy it directly from the company, the return was a lot easier going through an independent gunshop.

I've gone through a couple SGL20's, (one of which is still being held as "evidence" :evil: ), and I sold my G-30 to pick up a SGL21-62 during their "AK Stimulus Sale" last fall. She's the current apple of my eye, and the closest thing I've found to an AK-103 that one can buy in the US. I also have a LSA custom S-12, (Mike did the work for the cost of shipping only.. he is a very generous and skilled gunsmith/jeweler). Those're the Kalashnikov pattern weapons that I currently own. Beyond that I only have a stainless Ruger 10/22 that I bought 14 yrs ago and my grandpa's Remington WWII 1911. My gunsafe is fairly bare atm, but every one of the firearms I own is extremely effective.

I can't wait for this bullshit to be over, (no more legal fees! :) ), so I can save up for some of the guns on my "to get" list, which has gotten quite long. :D

im not knocking anybody for trying to save money but it's funny how little 200 bucks between rifles meant to me after i started shooting a lot of ammo.to me aks are like a crap shoot.you have certain percentages for getting a solid rifle which increase or decrease according to the make.

Ain't that the truth? Blasting through 1 or 200 dollars in ammo in short periods of time really alters your perception of money. I guess that's what happens to addicts.

Look at it like this... the $500 or so you spend on your Saiga + conversion will be well invested. As opposed to the $350 or so you may spend on the WASR, that you may likely end up feeling was wasted. Especially once you put it beside a quality build with new production parts. You may get lucky, as others have pointed out. But I'd go Saiga just for the brand new Russian barrel. To the best of my knowledge Century just uses surplus barrels in their builds (somebody help me with that one)??

To the best of my knowledge Century just uses surplus barrels in their builds (somebody help me with that one)??

One more time:

Century does not build the WASR.

The WASR is entirely built in a Romanian arms factory.

Century only IMPORTS them.

Ergo, Century has nothing to do with barrels, receivers or any other major component of the WASR (just the piddly 922r stuff).

To the best of my knowledge Century just uses surplus barrels in their builds (somebody help me with that one)??

One more time:

Century does not build the WASR.

The WASR is entirely built in a Romanian arms factory.

Century only IMPORTS them.

Ergo, Century has nothing to do with barrels, receivers or any other major component of the WASR (just the piddly 922r stuff).

What I stated earlier about Century and parts related to regular parts from cut up rifles that they import for sale as parts kits but not

th WASR itself. Since they do build or have built by contractors AK varients (not WASRs), this was not to refer in any way about the WASRs that are entirely built

in Romania and hacked up only once they arrive at Century. I hope it was clear for anyone that wanted to infer from any info from this thread that Century (like you stated) does not create the WASR series but only modifies the WASRs.

Surplus military spec or demiled barrels cannot legally be imported since about 2006 when the ATF finally stopped importers with the "Barrel Import Ban."

Century used to import the surplus used barrels but not anymore, and it never was for WASRs because they do not actually assembly the WASR in America.

The WASRs are assembled in Romania as single stack magazine sporter rifles with a thumbhole stock and no threaded muzzle.

This is what actually ships from Romania with a 10 round single stack magazine.

It does not have the ability to use standard 30 round double stack magazines or threaded muzzle devices until Century modifies this base gun.

They have to cut the magazine well wider and make all the other changes, but do not actually build the base gun in America.

Notice: no slant brake, no pistol grip, and the magazine is not standard. This is how they are legally imported.

mbjout.jpg

Thanks guys. I didn't realize the WASRs were all complete on import. I'd always assumed that random parts were being slapped together over here post import to build them.

So you've got a sporter with questionable parts imported then chopped for 922 compliance.

Still can't say I have a desire to own one.

Thanks guys. I didn't realize the WASRs were all complete on import. I'd always assumed that random parts were being slapped together over here post import to build them.

So you've got a sporter with questionable parts imported then chopped for 922 compliance.

Questionable my ass. I have high grade AK's and low end like the WASR and it shoots fine.

Questionable my ass. I have high grade AK's and low end like the WASR and it shoots fine.

Never seen one that didn't shoot. I'm a little biased though... mainly because most shops around here are still trying to sell WASRs for close to $500.

How do your groups look compared between the two?

Never seen one that didn't shoot. I'm a little biased though... mainly because most shops around here are still trying to sell WASRs for close to $500.

I haven't compared them side by side, but I shot my Polytech legend at a man sized target 100 yards away and specifically remember the groupings looking similar to the WASR.

I haven't compared them side by side, but I shot my Polytech legend at a man sized target 100 yards away and specifically remember the groupings looking similar to the WASR.

I think that better demonstrates the overhyped rep of the Polytechs than it does the adequacy of WASR performance. ;)

I think that better demonstrates the overhyped rep of the Polytechs than it does the adequacy of WASR performance. ;)

I doubt a Saiga will do any better. I'm getting my first Saiga in .308 (rare one with wooden furniture) so I can't compare it. Still waiting for KVAR to put the SGL's back on sale.

Edited by Ermac

I doubt a Saiga will do any better. I'm getting my first Saiga in .308 (rare one with wooden furniture) so I can't compare it. Still waiting for KVAR to put the SGL's back on sale.

Oh, I bet a Saiga 7.62x39 would be more accurate than either of those. Mine shoots < 2 MOA.

Anyway, I wouldn't hold my breath on another "AK Stimulus Sale", (they were overstocked last fall), but ya never know. I still think the SGL21 at $689 from Atlantic is a pretty good deal; certainly a lot less than you would have paid last year at this time.

Oh, I bet a Saiga 7.62x39 would be more accurate than either of those. Mine shoots < 2 MOA.

Anyway, I wouldn't hold my breath on another "AK Stimulus Sale", (they were overstocked last fall), but ya never know. I still think the SGL21 at $689 from Atlantic is a pretty good deal; certainly a lot less than you would have paid last year at this time.

It would be cool to see a gun publication or someone do an across the board comparison of several variants using the same ammo. I'd love to see the results of something like that, but it would be a huge undertaking. Basically a sight in with each.. and then shooting from a locked off position.

The only 2 I can personally compare are my AMD and saiga. I will say the AMD has impressed me a couple times shooting at 100yds from a rest for just 12in of barrel with cheap ammo. Most of my shooting with the saiga is offhand from 25 to 50 yds.. haven't gone out and seen how well it can seriously do at 100.

I agree on the $689 for the SGL21.. I've got at least that much in my conversion as it is (bought the rifle when they were $350 in '09).. and that's for me to do it. I wouldn't mind spending that for one of those quality pieces.