Just bought a new Saiga 12 , Help @@@@@

The guy asked a question and has decided to ignore everyone who actually builds these guns advice, and do what he wants.

A: I have no idea why he bothered to ask.

B: When he gets a bill for shipping and maybe even time wasted, from a warranty test that says "Weapon functions to spec" he may wish he had listened to you guys.

Oh well.

I have had a couple people tell me that the port holes need to be fixed to their proper specs . One person sent me a private email stating it .

If the gun has a warranty , I would think reparing the gas ports to " proper specs' would be covered under the warranty.

When there is a recall on automobiles for defective parts / manufacturing problems , the manufacturer doesnt just recall the vehicles that are experiencing physical problems from that defective manufacturing , ALL the vehicles are recalled that have the manufacturing defects , even if those vehicles seem to be functioning fine at that specific time.

Maybe my respect for firearms persuades me to think that its best to only depend on a firearm that I know is properly manufactured to specs ? Once again, this is gonna be a home defense weapon . Does it not make a little sense to have the confidence in knowing that it was properly manufactured ?

I guess I am having difficulty seeing why my above opinions seem to be in the " minority" considering that I am trying to use logic and safety when dealing with a firearm that I know is improperly manufactured. Does it make sense to rely upon something so important as a firearm , in which the owner knows ahead of time it has been manufactured with improper specs ?

Edited by sunnyday

I think what everyone here is trying to explain to you is that you have no idea if your s-12 works or not. You are just assuming that it won't. I'm not sure how the warranty work goes but picture this you send your s-12 in without firing it and say the gas ports are to small. Then warranty company takes your gun after you ship it to them they load it up and it works fine. Same company sends s-12 back to you on your dollar and says your gas ports might be small but your weapon fired all ammo we tried. It is very simple to avoid this situation. Just grab your s-12 and some rounds go outside and just SHOOT IT. I have know idea how many gas ports mine has or how big they are. However I can tell you it has shot everything I have put in it except for Wolf target loads. Shooting it not hurt the gun or make you loose your chance for warrnty work it will just let you know how your s-12 runs. Just shoot it if you are using high brass I know you will leave the range with a shit eating grin the exact same one I did the first time.

I think what everyone here is trying to explain to you is that you have no idea if your s-12 works or not. You are just assuming that it won't. I'm not sure how the warranty work goes but picture this you send your s-12 in without firing it and say the gas ports are to small. Then warranty company takes your gun after you ship it to them they load it up and it works fine. Same company sends s-12 back to you on your dollar and says your gas ports might be small but your weapon fired all ammo we tried. It is very simple to avoid this situation. Just grab your s-12 and some rounds go outside and just SHOOT IT. I have know idea how many gas ports mine has or how big they are. However I can tell you it has shot everything I have put in it except for Wolf target loads. Shooting it not hurt the gun or make you loose your chance for warrnty work it will just let you know how your s-12 runs. Just shoot it if you are using high brass I know you will leave the range with a shit eating grin the exact same one I did the first time.

I will shoot it later today . I guess if it ejects like it should , then most people on here would not send it out to have the ports fixed . I guess if the holes are 25 % smaller then they should be , that doesnt mean the holes would have more tendency to clog up easier ?

Well can anyone tell me if their Saiga had undersized and off centered gas ports , but the gun still shot perfect and they did not need to get it fixed to proper specs? Im just curious how many people have kept theirs with the improper sized port holes and had reliable performance.

after break in and a gunfixers gas plug my s12 will eat anything.

That's all we're saying and if you want get you some federal bulk from wally world and just for shits and giggles give those a try. Just remember high brass on setting 1 and low brass on 2. If you you do try the federal and it don't work just shoot some high brass and try the federal later. If you do still have a problem you can still send it in and get the work done. Be sure to let everyone know how she ran. There's a lot of knowledge here (present company excluded) that can help you through your problems if you have any.

I think the main issue you have is that you think an AK has to be right on spec to be dependable. It is an AK and they are rough, crude, and built like shit, but they still work. If you want a firearm that is perfectly on spec an AK is not the first thing I would suggest.

Now to answer some of the questions you have. It could clog the gas port if the port is to small... its a small chance and it could clog a gas port that is to spec. Now it will not clog in 10 rounds that you might depend on to defend yourself. I would just suggest that you open the plug and make sure it is not clogged when you put it away...

the above is what I would do...

This is what I think you should do since we really don't think about it the same way :P

Please just email Cadiz about the warranty work. They will be able to answer your questions better then I, and perhaps set your mind at ease about keeping it, or they could say to send it in...

I have had a couple people tell me that the port holes need to be fixed to their proper specs . One person sent me a private email stating it .

If the gun has a warranty , I would think reparing the gas ports to " proper specs' would be covered under the warranty.

When there is a recall on automobiles for defective parts / manufacturing problems , the manufacturer doesnt just recall the vehicles that are experiencing physical problems from that defective manufacturing , ALL the vehicles are recalled that have the manufacturing defects , even if those vehicles seem to be functioning fine at that specific time.

Did you see something about a recall because of this particular issue? Recalls are very different than warrenty issues.

Edited by Yeoldetool
  • Like 1

Did you see something about a recall because of this particular issue? Recalls are very different than warrenty issues.

I understand your point, and the differing terminologys involved , but I think it is a fact that many Saiga owners have had their shotguns not work properly due to wrong port sizes, incorrect number of port sizes, or ports improperly aligned under the gas chamber. Evidently these arent rare occurences either. I would imagine if these guns are manufactured in russia or out of the country , that specific country isnt gonna issue a recall when those guns are sold to another country .

So you are correct , they have not recalled these improperly made weapons , but the point still stands that many of them are not manufactured at proper specs .

Evidently the majority of people that have so far responded have the mindset that if the gun fires and ejects , there is no need to worry about known manufacturing defects and to just shoot the gun as is. It just seems like a odd way to think about something as important and powerful as a firearm. Either way I will shoot it and report back . For me personally, I like knowing that not only does my firearm function with reliability , but that it was also manufactured correctly . Maybe it would be different if this shotgun only cost $200 ...but we are talking about a average price of over $500 . I understand the AK format is known to be a bit ugly or sloppy sometimes and for me thats easier to accept if it is just visual sloppiness { inconsistent bluing of the barrel , imperfections in the wood on the stock, etc } but when it comes to internals , im a bit more picky .

Why are you discussing this with US?

If your gun is a 3 port & you can't get a wire .090, or even .080 down them, you're likely going to be undergassed.

Firing a undergassed gun isn't dangerous & Tom (the guy you will be sending your gun to) has posted here (this forum) many times to break it in first.

However keep in mind, that most don't check their ports like you did.

So, cell-phones have free long distance... Why don't you call the man himself & ask what he wants you to do? :unsure:

MAILING ADDRESS:

PO Box 126

Cadiz, OH 43907

PHONE:

740-942-3175

OFFICE HOURS: (USA - Eastern Time)

Monday-Friday 10 a.m. - 7 p.m.

If your gun is a 3 port & you can't get a wire .090, or even .080 down them, you're likely going to be undergassed.

Firing a undergassed gun isn't dangerous & Tom (the guy you will be sending your gun to) has posted here (this forum) many times to break it in first.

So, cell-phones have free long distance... Why don't you call the man himself & ask what he wants you to do? :unsure:

MAILING ADDRESS:

PO Box 126

Cadiz, OH 43907

PHONE:

740-942-3175

Ive sent him 3 emails and called twice...no repsonse yet. ...evidently he is really busy.

Did I do something wrong by inquiring others opinions on this thread ? All Ive done is stated my opinions in a civil matter.

Edited by sunnyday

The only thing you did wrong was ask the advice of people who have been dealing with these guns for a long time and not taking there advice. Apparently you had already made up your mind about what you wanted to do. So if you don't want other people advice don't ask. People on this forum will answer all the questions you have but you have to respect there opinion. They are trying to help you by giving you advice. It does not take a rocket scientist to understand to shoot the damn gun, see if it works. There are a lot of guns out there that work fine out of the box, with undersized ports. I'm not saying it will but it's worth a shot. It would be funny if you send it for warranty work and when they test fire it works great. You will waste there time and your own and your already wasting ours.

The best thing for you to do now is thank everyone for thier suggestions....go shoot a couple hundred rounds and let us know how it worked out......

Then make a good decision based on the outcome at the range....

MAILING ADDRESS:

PO Box 126

Cadiz, OH 43907

PHONE:

740-942-3175

Ive sent him 3 emails and called twice...no repsonse yet. ...evidently he is really busy.

Did I do something wrong by inquiring others opinions on this thread ? All Ive done is stated my opinions in a civil matter.

Not a all.

Just saying, Tom is the guy to ask, being as it's his decision on weather or not to fix it for free under warranty when it hasn't been test fired.

Any opinions WE have are irrelevant with regards to Tom's wishes.

I'd keep calling take it out, test it, then fix it my damn self if I were you.

But if you want to send it in & wait, keep calling....

Eventually Vicky will answer or ask Tom to return your call.

The reason you're having a hard time getting through is that they're swamped with Last Round Bolt Hold Open orders, so they're having trouble taking all the calls that come in.

If you're just testing the waters to seek validation for the idea of sending an untested firearm in for warranty work, it's not likely to happen en-mass in this thread.

My personal prediction, is if it has 3 ports that are less than .080, it's gonna choke on the low brass Federal, even after you shoot the high brass through it, & it will likely choke on the high brass if you have the plug set for high brass.

But I also predict that Tom is going to expect you to break in & test the gun before sending it in... I suppose I could be wrong though.

So I guess the point of my reply was that if you are seeking a third party to perform services for free, further debate on what you should do with US is rather futile.

I didn't intend to put you on the defense.

Just stating what I thought was the obvious.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

So its possible that it may eject properly , even though the gas ports are undersized ? I wont be using any light load ammo because this is strictly for home self defense and I will keep it on setting 2 at the gas port chamber.

So what happened with this Sunny?

Been to the range yet?

If so, I bet it worked fine with your high brass ammo right? :D

I bet if this gun was sent to Tom unfired the first thing he would do it put some federal bulk pack bird shot through it to see how it functions... :angel:

And the second thing he may do if it did function, would be to send the guy a bill for 2 way shipping, handling & another bill for his time & the test ammo.