• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm PKM

Try droppinq CSSPECS a line. He's a member here and makes some really damn good Steel mags. He might be interested, in the challenge. Might be hard to make them reliable with more than 15 -20 rounds though. The rim on the 54R makes things tricky.

I use his Saiga 308 mags in my VEPR. If I'd only waited - He now makes 308 VEPR mags which would have save me some work, but the end result seems the same -- flawless feeding mags. :killer:

Web addy:

http://csspecs.com/

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

If there were 20-round magazines and heavy barrels available, I would be interested in purchasing one of these rifles. A twenty-round magazine in a weapon that already has issues with overheating isn't a great idea.

• Like 1

Good luck..... Maybe time to look into a belt fed x54?

Damn straight, I want a belt fed Mosin!!

Personally I think the market for the PSL is too small for most manufacturers to bother with high cap mags for it.

You might try modifying one of these mags to work with a PSL, that's the only suggestion I've got.

http://www.ima-usa.com/product_info.php/products_id/2928

• Like 1

If there were 20-round magazines and heavy barrels available, I would be interested in purchasing one of these rifles. A twenty-round magazine in a weapon that already has issues with overheating isn't a great idea.

Yeah, I only looked it all up for the 'bad ass' factor. 10 round mags do the rifle just fine.

• 3 weeks later...

I gotta jack this real quick, I'm looking for mags as well, but what can I do about new wood furniture? I haven't looked on gunbroker, but I have a feeling it's gonna be expensive to try to buy some from there. What do you guys recommend?

I'm thinking I'll go with the tiger maple buttstock only from Rhineland Arms & stain everything like my S-12 is.

psltiger1.jpg

I figure I'll fill the cheekrest holes on Rhineland's, thin the center section (it looks thicker than a Dragunov's to me), whittle on it a bit with sanders to get truer lines & reduce weight, then pay about $60.00 to Oleg for a brown Dragunov cheek pad for an authentic look.

donfromaktigbutt-1.jpgsvd_cheekpad.gif

I made one a while back before I converted, but it came out a touch crooked, so I figure I'd rather use their finished product, kinda like a blank.

I seem to be one of few that like the stock furniture and see no need for a higher capacity magazine. A buttpad and cheek rest fix the stock. A bigger mag makes rested and low prone shooting a hassle, and detracts from the intent of the rifle. For those building them into short AK-style rifles the larger mag would probably complete the conversion. The simplest solution is just combining two 10 rounders. I'm surprised nobody is doing this on a commercial basis.

It won't work too well unless you take the bottom of your saiga reciever and chamfer it or cut a radius like a PSL.

Look at my picture above, and draw an imaginary line to complete that corner. That line will end up in a middle of that cut out.