Placed my order on Monday of last week and had her in hand by Thursday.

Came to me exactly as advertised with hex reciever, all matching stamped numbers, no electro pencil, no counterbore

and matching numbered bayonet along with the complete tool kit, oil bottle, cartridge case and dog collar style strap.

Going to do a field strip and some serious cosmoline removal over the coming week.

Picked up two boxes of Wolf and hope to shoot her soon.

Overall I am very happy with the condition of the rifle considering she is 80 years old!

Now my Saigas have a Grandma! 021.gif

post-15138-059133400 1283180557_thumb.jpg

post-15138-017261400 1283180566_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Very nice Dave, you will love the accuracy on these.....

...you're being sarcastic right? my 91/30 is horrible with the stock iron sights.

They vary all over the place. Oddly, I've had better luck with the carbines than the 91/30s. My 91/30s are still more accurate than I am.

Accuracy varies by condition, and that one there is pretty damn nice, so I wouldn't worry much. Conversely, my 91/30 (a 1943 Izzy that was dragged across a battlefield then rebuilt after the war by some Ukrainian armory with parts stripped off of other busted rifles) won't hit the broad side of a building until I have the muzzle counterbored. It's on the list of things to do, but not near the top. Aside from tightening up the nut behind the buttplate, the condition of the barrel (especially the muzzle) makes the biggest difference.

When the rifling near the muzzle is worn out (usually from cleaning rod wear) and accuracy is suffering, you can cut the inside of the muzzle out to a larger diameter than the bore, usually 1"-1.5" deep along the bore axis, and cut a new crown down inside. Essentially shortening the barrel and cutting a new crown, without actually shortening the barrel. A lot of the Mosins that came out of WWII had that done when they were refurb'ed by the Soviet armories. It was mostly done on the carbines I think.

Edited by Caspian Sea Monster

When the rifling near the muzzle is worn out (usually from cleaning rod wear) and accuracy is suffering, you can cut the inside of the muzzle out to a larger diameter than the bore, usually 1"-1.5" deep along the bore axis, and cut a new crown down inside. Essentially shortening the barrel and cutting a new crown, without actually shortening the barrel. A lot of the Mosins that came out of WWII had that done, mostly carbines I think.

Thank you sir.

No harm done, it happens a lot, just wanted to make sure you know who you're talkin' to. B) And thanks, Dave.

"My name ain't Roy! I ain't sharin' my bed with no woman 'til I'm certain she knows who's in it. G'night, lady." -- MQ

Very nice Dave, you will love the accuracy on these.....

...you're being sarcastic right? my 91/30 is horrible with the stock iron sights.

Not at all, I can hit a 6" target at 300 yards without any adjustments to either site using steel core ammo.....

• Like 1

Very nice 91/30 Dave, you'll have a blast shooting her! :D

It looks a lot nicer than most of the Mosins I've ever run across, even better that she's an all matching hex receiver. The one I used to own did pretty damn well on accuracy, rifling wasn't perfect but it was still an all matching rifle that saw some action on the eastern front. I need to buy another, but I can't seem to find any good ones here worth the money..

• 4 weeks later...