AK74 24mm brake for a 7.62...where to get???

post-24335-033190700 1283528607_thumb.jpg

And being that I spent all day yesterday looking for these "milspec" brakes and have yet to find one, I say fuckit and im just going to get an Arsenal brake thats actually made for 7.62. Quality looks way better than all ive seen on here anyway. And if I happen to run into one lateron down the road, then good for me, until then I think ill have some kool-aid.

if you are looking for a US made, the arsenal is probably matching mil-spec minus being chrome lined. the ak-103 .com brakes are mil-spec with the chrome line. if you dont need US made, check out the trader here or maybe akfiles or akforum and you can find many choices.

Righton! Thanks for the info.+1

Edited by AZG
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, from where I sit, that "Kool-Aid" has been pretty tasty and satisfying. I've yet to buy anything from Arsenal/K-Var that wasn't extremely high-quality. I've been very pleased with my purchase

Here is how you take pictures of this sort of thing.   This is an East German 5.45x39 zig-zag brake with a 7.62x39 cartridge stuck through from the business end.   As you can see the cartridge cas

agreed, but i just wanted to relate that if there is even slight contact with the smaller diameter exit, that will cause problems.

Posted Images

Forgive me the stupid question, but why these military AK74 brakes can't be drilled out to 3/8", like Arsenal-made one? It is not a forged steel, so this could be done even in your garage. I'm actually going to try that, will post my experience later.

That's been done. It tends to fuck up the chrome lining, which is one of the only reasons to use a foreign brake, (you can get a US-made chromed .30 cal 74-type brake from AK-103.com, but it's more expensive).

I look forward to hearing how well this alteration goes.

Forgive me the stupid question, but why these military AK74 brakes can't be drilled out to 3/8", like Arsenal-made one? It is not a forged steel, so this could be done even in your garage. I'm actually going to try that, will post my experience later.

That's been done. It tends to fuck up the chrome lining, which is one of the only reasons to use a foreign brake, (you can get a US-made chromed .30 cal 74-type brake from AK-103.com, but it's more expensive).

So I bought a used bulgy 74 brake and just drilled it out. Not bad before you install your FSB, you can vice it down and drill in. just de-burr and clean it up afterward and it's not too bad. I didn't see any chrome flakes, but i suppose time well tell. It was a used brake anyways, so i'm not too butt hurt about things.

I shot the rifle earlier and it yielded 2MOA at 100m. Seems to be holding well with accuracy so far... BUT since my rifle is overgassed with the new gas block put on, I'm not sure how the recoil reduction is so far. My increased strength recoil spring will come in this week hopefully and i'll give a more comprehensive review then.

Who cares about chrome lining on a brake bore that will never be subjected to any corrosive ammo? If it's bored out to make it safer, what's the problem with that? Will it make it less 'pretty'?

Who cares about spending wasting money on an Arsenal product when you can have the same effect by using mil spec with an easy, very slight modification?

Or is it just a snooty status symbol type thing with some?

Who cares about chrome lining on a brake bore that will never be subjected to any corrosive ammo? If it's bored out to make it safer, what's the problem with that? Will it make it less 'pretty'?

Who cares about spending wasting money on an Arsenal product when you can have the same effect by using mil spec with an easy, very slight modification?

Or is it just a snooty status symbol type thing with some?

Safe is safe.

How can boring out a hole that already is much bigger than the 7.62x39 round make it safer?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I have a true 74 brake on my 7.62x39 Saiga, and the bullet does not hit it. Dunno if maybe somehow those who are having problems have an out of line FSB, seems impossible, as my FSB was very tight when I installed it, but maybe not all are.

The exit hole in a 5.45 brake is NOT safe for the passage of a .30 cal bullet in EVERY 7.62 rifle. There is not enough room for error if one happens to have a gun with either an off center bore, threads that are not 100% in line with the bore axis, or an adapter that may be defective. Any and all of these things are possible with these guns, and considering how many new AK owners there are here, and the multitude of after market parts and DIYers out there these days, it is NOT safe to recommend people use a brake that has so little room for error, and was designed to be used on a smaller caliber bore.

I normally agree with most things you say on here about AKs nalioth, and the zig-zag brake I bought from you was not safe for use on my particular rifle like we thought it was. I had no problem what so ever with the cheapie replica brake that I was using before. The gouge in my zig-zag brake is evidence of the fact that this particular brake IS UNSAFE to use on some Saigas, which is what this forum is about. The fact that it may work fine on another .30 cal.AK with a factory 24mm threaded FSB, is totally beside the point. Most people who read this thread have Saigas they are wanting to put a 74 brake on. Most people who have a Saiga .30 cal rifle, and want to add a brake, are not going to do like I did on my 5.45 Saiga and put a proper Bulgarian 24mm threaded FSB on it. They are going to remove the existing FSB sleeve and thread it 14x1 LH, or already have before they learned about the advantages of swapping the front sight. I am posting this for THOSE people. Those people are stuck with using a thread adapter if they want to use a real mil spec 74 brake...unless they switch FSBs and eat the wasted time and money they spent threading their barrel. Some barrels now come with factory 14x1 threads also.

BTW...if I'm not mistaken that threaded adapter I was using, before I took the POS off and threw it in the damned pond, I purchased from the almighty K Var...

There is nothing wrong with the threading job I did on my 7.62 barrel either. I had used several other 14x1 threaded brakes before purchasing the East German or Bulgarian brakes I have now. None had any problems other than not being as effective as possible.

I have resolved the issue by throwing away the adapter and I'm now using a very effective J-Tac 14x1 brake, which I believe is every bit as effective as the 74, if not better. I can use my 24mm brakes on on my proper 24mm FSBs. I do not see anything wrong however, in increasing the brake's bore size slightly, on any 5.45 brake I decide to use on a 7.62. It will not detract anything from the effectiveness of this great design, only make it safer to use with that caliber. I do have a real 74 brake on my Saiga 308 and it has been enlarged. The rifle is very accurate and I have had no bullet strikes. I was forced to use an adapter with that particular one due the very large bbl diameter.

...The gouge in my zig-zag brake is evidence of the fact that this particular brake IS UNSAFE to use on some Saigas...

Interesting that you bring that up. My zigzag brake that i bought was NOT large enough for the 7.62mm bullet to safely pass through. I had to bore it out to make it a safe diameter. Perhaps the zig-zags were just not 7.62 friendly. That may be something that those who have a collection of brakes should look into doing a little research for us.

I actually have a 7.62 Saiga, not AK. I removed the stock front sight and put one from Bulgarian AK-74, got it along with muzzle brake and few inches of cut barrel from gunbroker. Appeared unfired, btw, no traces of carbon deposit.

The brake sits ok, but does have a very little play on thread. And I went ahead and tried it unmodified yesterday, and bullets do hit the the brake and fly feet away from target, I can see brass traces inside the brake.

So this is indeed the matter of luck, works for one and not for others.

I will be drilling out the bore on it today, and visiting range on Friday, to see how it goes.

WoW ,glad i read this post,i just bought a bulgarian AK74 FSB and muzzle brake only because it was the easy way to go(im not crazy about the look of the AK74 brake),my romanian sight block/barrel has the pins on the top and the saiga X39 has them on the bottom of the barrel as does the bulgarian FSB, i was going to get another lower pins FSB and thread the barrel 14x1 LH then buy one of those PSL type flash hidders,this would have looked a lot better in my opinion because of the 20" barrel,i can't wait to get these parts so i can see how this all looks,I too will post pictures and let you guys know what i come up with.

300 rounds later, my saiga is still 2-3MOA with monarch at 100m with a drilled out bulgarian AK74 brake.

Thats what im talking about baylorhenrey! glad to hear that,i just bought that AK74 stuff for my X39...........thanks

hey man, I did check over and over again that the brake wasn't being hit or slapped anyhow though, so remember to give it some play on drilling it out! good luck man, it worked for me, hope it will for you

300 rounds later, my saiga is still 2-3MOA with monarch at 100m with a drilled out bulgarian AK74 brake.

Thats what im talking about baylorhenrey! glad to hear that,i just bought that AK74 stuff for my X39...........thanks

hey man, I did check over and over again that the brake wasn't being hit or slapped anyhow though, so remember to give it some play on drilling it out! good luck man, it worked for me, hope it will for you

OK here is what i found last night! one of my 7.62X 51 nato rounds bullit measured .308,a wolf 7.62x39 measured .308,a 7.62x54R russian surplus measured .310 so thats the one i used, it was way loose in the bulgarian brake,even the 54R neck was way loose in the brake it measured .330(the neck) ,so i measured the inner diameter of the brake and it was .340, i have not shot the gun since the upgrade so i can not say that it did not hit,BUT to think .32 thousandths of an inch is not going to be enough room is silly,it's surly not going to blow up in your face, but as baylorhenry has pointed out all brake may not be the same inner diameter, as for mine i believe it will be good to go and i will let you guy's know when my local range opens back up on OCT.1

post-26836-048935900 1285279318_thumb.jpg

post-26836-018639000 1285279334_thumb.jpg

post-26836-096039000 1285279344_thumb.jpg

^ The measurement results are interesting, but don't trump common sense. Remember, these muzzle brakes have a little bit of "wiggle" when installed on a rifle.

Let's also not forget that a muzzle device is a compliance part, so I see no reason not to use a US-made '74 brake that happens to be meant for 7.62 rather than 5.45, especially since they cost only ~$10-$20 more than a foreign brake.

ymmv.

Ok, finally drilled out my bulgy Ak-74 brake. First used 3/8" bit, was not enough - have seen some brass traces and bad groups. Next applied 7/16", this time no problem. 160 rounds down the range, average 4" groups on 100 yards with primary arms 3 moa microdot shooting off bench yugo surplus ammo - but I'm not the sniper in any way, so it could be me rather than rifle. Even drilled that much, the brake still does the job and reduces recoil significantly.

Again, this is specific to my rifle, since I replaced the front sight (got one from AK-74, already threaded). And btw, if I had to thread the barrel from scratch and buy the brake for it, I would probably buy some US-made for 7.62.

Let's also not forget that a muzzle device is a compliance part, so I see no reason not to use a US-made '74 brake that happens to be meant for 7.62 rather than 5.45, especially since they cost only ~$10-$20 more than a foreign brake.

ymmv.

Uh, my mileage varies quite a bit on this one.....

K-var's brake is listed at $67.99 on their website, plus UPS Ground shipping which brings it to nearly $80. Their US Made AK-74 brakes for 5.45/5.56 are $91 and $98. After shipping, that puts you well over $100-110 just for a muzzle brake....that's enough cash to buy all the parts needed for an entire conversion. And not to mention that their front sight block is another $83....So for the price of an Arsenal brake and block goes over $200, you may as well throw in another $150 and get another rifle instead while you're at it.

There's a guy in the WTS section selling military surplus brakes at $30 with $5 USPS Priority for a total of $35.

Even ignoring shipping costs, the surplus ones are $40-60 less than the Arsenal ones....

I say this completely unbiased, by the way, as I own an Arsenal .30 cal brake, and three foreign surplus East Bloc brakes. I know you're Arsenal's #1 fan and all, but this is really a stretch to say that there is no reason to go for a foreign one.

Edited by Classy Kalashnikov
  • Like 2

What kind of drill bit did you use? Do you have a drill press? I tried drilling out an AK-74 brake to 3/8" with a DeWalt Titanium coated bit, the shape of the hole destroyed the bit. Ironically, the little green grinding wheel on the dremel opened it up with ease in a few minutes. It must have been the shape of the hole, or the way I was drilling, or something.

As for the chrome lining, also no chipping or anything here yet as well. The stone also left the hole and edges very smooth after a quick touch up.

• Like 1

ymmv.

Uh, my mileage varies quite a bit on this one.....

K-var's brake is listed at $67.99 on their website, plus UPS Ground shipping which brings it to nearly $80. Their US Made AK-74 brakes for 5.45/5.56 are $91 and $98. After shipping, that puts you well over $100-110 just for a muzzle brake....that's enough cash to buy all the parts needed for an entire conversion. And not to mention that their front sight block is another $83....So for the price of an Arsenal brake and block goes over $200, you may as well throw in another $150 and get another rifle instead while you're at it.

There's a guy in the WTS section selling military surplus brakes at $30 with $5 USPS Priority for a total of $35.

Even ignoring shipping costs, the surplus ones are $40-60 less than the Arsenal ones....

Ok, so their .30 cal brake is up to $67.99 now.. I bet it'll be cheaper on 10/10. Regardless, that's maybe ~$45 more expensive, (after shipping), than buying a foreign '74 brake.. not $60, and that price difference is nowhere near the cost of an entire set of conversion parts, let alone another rifle. :rolleyes: Don't be so melodramatic, CK.

The price of their 5.45/5.56 brakes doesn't enter into this, as I never recommended using a US-made one for those calibers, just for higher ones. I'm not sure why you bring up the cost of a FSB from them, I never claimed that K-Var was the best/only source for those. Besides, not everyone who's considering which '74 type brake to use will have to buy a new FSB, (i.e. a lot of Legion rifles were sold without muzzle brakes, just thread protectors).

If it's a 7.62x39 rifle you plan to use it on; spending up to an additional $60 for a US-made, (compliance part), '74 brake designed for .30 caliber is well worth it imo.

I think that buying a foreign brake made for a smaller caliber and using it "as is" on a 7.62 rifle, (risking malfunction), is foolish. If you want to buy one of those and "drill it out" in that area, to save a few bucks.. hey, to each his own.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

Ok, so their .30 cal brake is up to $67.99 now.. I bet it'll be cheaper on 10/10. Regardless, that's maybe ~$45 more expensive, (after shipping), than buying a foreign '74 brake.. not $60, and that price difference is nowhere near the cost of an entire set of conversion parts, let alone another rifle. :rolleyes: Don't be so melodramatic, CK.

But, it does...Their Muzzle Brake and front sight towerplus shipping, would be a total of $165. That's enough to buy an entire conversion kit, a magazine, and a bag of beef jerky on the way home from the range. The prices are all there on the website, I'm not making this shit up. And yeah, sure, it may be cheaper one day/week of the year during a special, but how about the other 364 days? I know they have nice things, but you can't possibly tell me this stuff is a bargain.

As to drilling it out, I don't understand what is so "uncivilized" about that? For $40+ savings yes, I would much rather take a copy and spend 10 minutes drill/grind a larger hole in it. What is an Arsenal 7.62 brake, if not a '74 copy with a wider hole? You ever consider that maybe these brakes are manufactured by having those holes drilled/milled into them in the first place making this entire debate completely retarded? :lolol: Now that right there would be some irony!

• Like 1

But, it does...Their Muzzle Brake and front sight towerplus shipping, would be a total of $165. That's enough to buy an entire conversion kit, a magazine, and a bag of beef jerky on the way home from the range. The prices are all there on the website, I'm not making this shit up...

Why are you still talking about the cost of the FSB? You don't have to get one of those from K-Var and could likely find one for less elsewhere. Besides, whether you plan to use one of the US-made .30 caliber '74 brakes, or a foreign one meant for 5.45, (e.g. a Bulgarian mil-surp brake), you still need to change out the FSB for one with 24x1.5mm RH threads.

So the cost difference between the two brakes is still ~$45.

But, it does...Their Muzzle Brake and front sight towerplus shipping, would be a total of $165. That's enough to buy an entire conversion kit, a magazine, and a bag of beef jerky on the way home from the range. The prices are all there on the website, I'm not making this shit up...

Why are you still talking about the cost of the FSB? You don't have to get one of those from K-Var and could likely find one for less elsewhere. Besides, whether you plan to use one of the US-made .30 caliber '74 brakes, or a foreign one meant for 5.45, (e.g. a Bulgarian mil-surp brake), you still need to change out the FSB for one with 24x1.5mm RH threads.

So the cost difference between the two brakes is still ~$45.

You're right, let's talk about just the brake. We'll forget, for now, that AKPartsKits sells stripped FSBs for $58 less than K-Var does, or that completed foreign ones are $30 cheaper as well.

For the price of an Arsenal brake you can still buy two foreign ones and the bag of beef jerky. The Arsenal one is simply a 74 copy with a wider hole, likely drilled as such at the manufacturer. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if their two brakes are the same thing with different hole sizes just drilled out when they make them from the same blank. The reality is, whether you want to admit or not, that K-Var's brake is nothing special, and there's no difference in performance or quality from a foreign one used as is, or drilled out slightly wider. The only difference is price. I'm sorry, maybe it's not a lot to you, but $45 is a serious chunk of change, considering all we're talking about it a little hunk of metal.

I have used and own both foreign surplus and K-Var .30 cal, have you? i assure you, this isn't some anti-Arsenal rant or a pissing contest with you. I'm speaking simply from experience having owned both products.

• Like 1

You're right, let's talk about just the brake. We'll forget, for now, that AKPartsKits sells stripped FSBs for $58 less than K-Var does, or that completed foreign ones are $30 cheaper as well...

No, let's not forget that. That's my point, (that you seem to keep missing :D ). By all means buy a FSB from one of those sources, instead of from K-Var, and save some $.

...For the price of an Arsenal brake you can still buy two foreign ones and the bag of beef jerky. The Arsenal one is simply a 74 copy with a wider hole, likely drilled as such at the manufacturer. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if their two brakes are the same thing with different hole sizes just drilled out when they make them from the same blank...

I would be suprised if that is the case, as their US-made '74 brakes for 5.45/5.56 are chrome-lined, while their .30 cal '74 brakes are not. Of course, I could be wrong, it's happened once before. :D

...The reality is, whether you want to admit or not, that K-Var's brake is nothing special...

I never said that they were "special", (AK-103.com's brakes are special :wub: , but cost more), just that they were a better choice than a 5.45 foreign '74 brake for a 7.62 or .308 AK, and I stand by that.

...there's no difference in performance or quality from a foreign one used as is...

I disagree with that.

...or drilled out slightly wider...

Imo that's a true necessity if you want to use one of the cheaper foreign brakes on a .30 cal rifle.

...The only difference is price...

And country of manufacture, (sadly it matters for compliance with unconstitutional laws). You and some others on this thread keep overlooking that, but imo it matters. Would you rather buy a US-made gas piston and go through the hassle of swapping em out or pay ~$45, (and skip drilling as well)?

I don't know about you, but I like having the option of using a foreign stock, (or pistol grip), and foreign magazines, as well as a muzzle device, without fucking with the factory gas piston.

...I'm sorry, maybe it's not a lot to you, but $45 is a serious chunk of change, considering all we're talking about it a little hunk of metal...

Since we're also talking 922r I don't consider $45 a "serious chunk of change" by any means. ymmv there.

...I have used both foreign surplus and K-Var .30 cal, have you?

Yep. I sold the foreign surplus brake I had when I confirmed that it was a standard '74 brake, (designed for 5.45/5.56), and found that US-made brakes meant for .30 cal were available.

Look, if you just love Arsenal that much, then there's really nothing I can do for you. I'm not sure what "performance differences" you have found, since I have never heard that anywhere else except from you. The K-Var brakes are not any better than foreign ones. Sorry. You have not "used both" or done any testing between the two, not any useful testing at least, as there is no upgrade in performance when switching to a K-Var one. It seems you had a foreign brake then switched to K-Var just to say you did and no other reason.

922r compliance is a real concern but is achieved elsewhere while still paying less than half the price for a muzzle brake. Assuming you are using a fully converted Saiga with US made furniture and FCG, like, let's say, your SGL, the origin of the brake does not matter as your weapon is compliant both with a foreign or domestic brake. No one is "overlooking" that. This is really just a waste of time and all it is showing is that you will go to great lengths to pretend that your Arsenal brake is somehow superior to Soviet ones. It's not, sorry. You apparently love to sit there and debate stupid little things like hole diameters to the thousandth of an inch or rolls on the dust cover regarding a weapon that can fire while engulfed in flames and full of sand.

No hard feelings.

• Like 3

+1 to both of you for ending it like men and not all butthurtish like most would have.

It's cool, Post is a good guy and I still like him despite his more expensive choice of muzzle brakes :D

:lol: well you both have valid points so it was a proper ending, :beer: to both'yall.

• Like 2

I have resolved the issue by throwing away the adapter and I'm now using a very effective J-Tac 14x1 brake, which I believe is every bit as effective as the 74, if not better. I can use my 24mm brakes on on my proper 24mm FSBs.

I carefully watched someone shoot my sgl21 with the 74 style brake up close and having compared the sub 1 inch movement to the pws fsc47 video which is nearly the same in function as the pws jtac I would wholely agree that 74 style and the jtac version are about nearly the same as far as muzzle rise movement control. For a 14mm threaded barrel the either pws brake is the easier effective option. The nice extra features offered by the fsc47 is suppose to be decent flash reduction and the more efficient gas pressure redivertion away from the shooters ears. I haven't seen a low light picture of the flash reduction to compare to.

jtac at 1:30 min

Edited by my762buzz