Broken gas piston rod

post-26856-046742700 1284365162_thumb.jpgpost-26856-099405700 1284365177_thumb.jpg

Went to range sunday morning with my saiga 12 19" with 3 promag 10rders, and 2 MD drums ready to rock N roll wal-marts federal 100 packs.

After going through 3 promags with couple of jams, I was ready to put MD on the line.

After 2 rounds, it was not ejecting the shell completely. So I cleared it and chamber next shell.

Missfired. I have never experienced missfire with my shotgun.

I cleared it and put another shell in the chamber.

Missfired again. I dropped drum pull the bolt back, cleared the chamber.

This time when I tried to chamber a shell into it, the bolt would not close all the way.

So i dropped the drum, pulled back the bolt, and cleared it again.

I'm like what's going on here.... WTF.

I thought it would help by cleaning it, so I tooked the cover off, spring out, and bolt carrier out and there I noticed piston rod was snapped.

I am so depressed right now. As soon as I got home, I started looking for parts. Tapco had their's recalled and I don't know

where to get the replacement rods. Is this something that can be cure with the warrenty?

someone out there know where I can get the parts?

My saiga 12 is 19" barrel, 3 port holes, 1/57 serial #H08404116 Thank you.

Edited by nick0975

WOW!!! :eek: I second beefcake, hit up Cadiz, they should be able to help you out. Don't let this get you down though, I know from past experience that stuff like this can, but don't let one fluke turn you off the S12, the S12 is an addiction that you must have!!!

Oh welcome to the forum, wish it were under better circumstances. :(

V/R

self_inflicted

The 08 models with this issue are still covered under warranty.

:eek:

Widespread panic for all of the '08 owners!!!! :lolol: I have 3 :unsure: , but none have broken yet. Tom, is this a fairly rare occurence? and are there any early signs such as cracks, etc. or is it usually sudden?

Edited by evlblkwpnz

Shotgun owners, PLEASE do not seek out the Crapco "gas piston" for the 12-gauge.

It's not a compliance part, and it doesn't surpass the factory part in any manner, so changing a shotty "piston" to a Crapco model shouldn't even be on anyone's list.

By the way, the object being discussed here is not a "gas piston". Dunno what it's called, but it never sees direct gassing. The shotguns have a "gas puck" (which is the compliance part) that gets whacked by the gas, and strikes these bolt-carrier-mounted rods.

• Like 1

Shotgun owners, PLEASE do not seek out the Crapco "gas piston" for the 12-gauge.

It's not a compliance part, and it doesn't surpass the factory part in any manner, so changing a shotty "piston" to a Crapco model shouldn't even be on anyone's list.

By the way, the object being discussed here is not a "gas piston". Dunno what it's called, but it never sees direct gassing. The shotguns have a "gas puck" (which is the compliance part) that gets whacked by the gas, and strikes these bolt-carrier-mounted rods.

I know it's generally accepted that the gas puck is the "Piston" in these shotguns, but I have NEVER seen a letter from the ATF or otherwise that clearly states this to be the case. Even the 922r calculators out on the interweb caution that the "piston" designation isn't clear.

If you have a link, or BATF Letter, or some other evidence that the "Piston" as it relates to 922r is the PUCK, please share. I don't believe you can count on the PUCK being a "compliance part" as interpreted by the BATF, and I would never recommend anyone "count" on that part meeting 922r compliance.

Edited by rjrivero
  • Like 3

Well.... it looks almost identical to the 'gas piston' in all of the AKMs I have, but it is sometimes referred to as the 'operating rod'.... it sure looks like a piston. We need to get to the bottom of this one. I'm tired of wondering if I'm not right :angel:

The primary purpose of the ATF is to keep us confused. There's a lot of shit that noone knows the answer too.... and that is proof enough for me.

There in NO controversy. A piston is what it is by definition. The Crapco part is an "operating rod/carrier extension." The same part on a rifle is a piston, it differs from the shotguns in that it acts as a piston. The shotgun part has a flat face to act as a mechanical tappet (transfers energy from the piston to the bolt carrier). The rifle part has a concave face to better turn the gas pressure into straight line motion.

• Like 1