Rifled slug ?

Those slugs are made for a rifled barrel. The gun will have no problems but your wallet might. You need rifled slugs not sabots. I don't know how much you paid for them but I am pretty sure it was more than $8.97 for 15. If you can take them back; do so and grab a few Winchester value packs rifled slugs. Again-- $8.97 for 15.

• Like 1

Those slugs are made for a rifled barrel. The gun will have no problems but your wallet might. You need rifled slugs not sabots. I don't know how much you paid for them but I am pretty sure it was more than $8.97 for 15. If you can take them back; do so and grab a few Winchester value packs rifled slugs. Again-- $8.97 for 15.

i paid 13 a box... cant bring them back tho.. cut one open /:

but the rang master told me it's a bad idea to shoot a rifled slug out a smooth bore... why im asking here

Its just a sabot slug. It won't hurt anything. Won't be as accurate as a badminton birdie style "rifled" pattern slug but it won't hurt the barrel. If you want to trade for regular slugs let me know. Theyd work fine in my benelli slug barrel.

Edited by wired
  • Like 1

Its just a sabot slug. It won't hurt anything. Won't be as accurate as a badminton birdie style "rifled" pattern slug but it won't hurt the barrel. If you want to trade for regular slugs let me know. Theyd work fine in my benelli slug barrel.

im fine whit them long as they wont hurt my babe... tyvm ... all you guys are a great help /salute

i paid 13 a box... cant bring them back tho.. cut one open /:

but the rang master told me it's a bad idea to shoot a rifled slug out a smooth bore... why im asking here

Sounds like misinformation and confusion...

Unless I am backwards, you WANT a rifled slug for a NON rifled barrel....and a sabot for a rifled barrel, aka slug barrel.

a smoothbore will not spin/stabilize a round on its own, so you want a rifled slug so that it will spin and be accurate...if you shoot a sabot out of a smoothbore it will not get a spin to it and be unstable in the air... if you have a slug barrel you would use the sabots because a slug barrel has rifling and spins the smooth round to stabalize... :chris:

ETA: pretty dog by the way

Edited by beefcakeb0
  • Like 2

Winchester super X Rifled slugs give a 6" group at 100 yards from the bench. They are not bad for your barrel....they are bad for whatever is in front of your barrel. I have shot close to 1000 of them bad boys through my Saiga 12 and it looks good as new when I clean it after shooting!

Winchester super X Rifled slugs give a 6" group at 100 yards from the bench. They are not bad for your barrel....they are bad for whatever is in front of your barrel. I have shot close to 1000 of them bad boys through my Saiga 12 and it looks good as new when I clean it after shooting!

You should check the OP's link. He's confused on terminology. The slugs he bought are sabot slugs, meant for a rifled barrel, they are not slugs that are themselves rifled, (Foster slugs; designed for smooth bores).

To the OP: that rangemaster doesn't know what he's talking about. Sabot slugs will fire fine from a smooth-bored shotgun, but they're not meant for it, and therefore your accuracy using them will leave a lot to be desired. They will not damage your gun, though.

• Like 3

You should check the OP's link. He's confused on terminology. The slugs he bought are sabot slugs, meant for a rifled barrel, they are not slugs that are themselves rifled, (Foster slugs; designed for smooth bores).

To the OP: that rangemaster doesn't know what he's talking about. Sabot slugs will fire fine from a smooth-bored shotgun, but they're not meant for it, and therefore your accuracy using them will leave a lot to be desired. They will not damage your gun, though.

+1

• Like 1

Beefcake: did you read the link in the original post? Didn't think so. Do so and edit you post.

hmmm mr smarty pants you seem to be clairvoyant, or maybe just a jerk, but I did read the link and although it sounds like a bunch of propaganda about how excellent their product is :rolleyes: , maybe you didnt follow through and read the entirety of it....

Designed for use in fully-rifled barrels only

So i suggest you lower your tone a bit and edit your post with an apology, and how rude it was. :sadam:

• Like 1

[

Designed for use in fully-rifled barrels only

This was the very same point I made in the third post. Read my original post again; we are arguing the same side of the same point. I was irritated about the disinformation comment. The rest of your post was on point.

Just to clear it up, the slugs you have are not rifled and neither is your barrel. Therefore you want to go get you some rifled slugs, not sabots.

There was indeed misinformation, from the range master that told him not to use rifled slugs, when that is what he should be using. Sorry your post was quoted by him, and you took it the wrong way...

OP just so we are clear: those that you pictured are sabots, and will require a rifled barrel to go true.

Your s12 will be best shot with rifled slugs which are not what you have pictured and the range officer was not only wrong about what round you have, because it is not rifled... but he was also wrong about the barrel and round combo.

Edited by beefcakeb0

Sabot and rifled slugs are 2 different things. Rifled slugs are meant for smooth bore. Either Cyl. Bore, or a slight choke to pinch down on the rifling that is on the slug.

The Sabot is designed for rifled barrels, which you do not have. Since you have a cylinder bore you should be able to fire them just fine, but the slug is likely going to tumble, keyhole, and basically not travel through the air well. This is probably why the Ranger told you not to shoot them.

At my Gun club they don't want anybody shooting any slugs out of a smooth bore. It just makes everything that much easier for them vs having to inspect ammo, and educate all of the rangers.

+1 These are what you need.... $5 a box @ Sportsman Guide

You will not hurt anything if you use the Sabot's but they are not as accurate for a smooth bore barrel.... As Wired stated...

post-12142-025526200 1284564065_thumb.jpg

Edited by 308saiga

If you want to actually get better accuracy and range out of those type of slugs (sabots), then invest in one of these...

http://forum.saiga-1...opic=43443&st=0 ...and buy a rifled slug choke to go with it. Then the sabots, which are basically lead slugs that are covered by a harder substance that will better take the rifling of a choke or rifled barrel, and make the slug spin rapidly, keeping it more stable in flight and making it much more accurate than any "rifled slugs". These are also more effective than other chokes like the polychoke, when used with normal, readily available internal chokes for common shotguns. People get tighter patterns with these than with adjustable chokes.

Here are some pics of the choke adapter installed with a rifled slug choke made for shooting sabot slugs.....shown along side a factory Russian "Paradox" rifled choke made for this same purpose.

post-1293-019530400 1284595790_thumb.jpg

post-1293-049765300 1284595835_thumb.jpg

post-1293-059316100 1284595919_thumb.jpg

Now about the true misinformation in this thread....

The term "rifled slug" is a misnomer.

A so called "rifled" slug does not really spin much from the spiral grooves it has molded into it's surface...not like a bullet does when stabilized by a rifled barrel. Those raised ribs are actually made for allowing the slug to swage down and fit the barrel tighter, creating a better seal for the gas to propel it more efficiently. Anyone who doesn't believe me look it up....or take a slug round and cut the projectile out of it. Try to fit that into your muzzle on an open cylinder bore. It won't fit. Why are the grooves in the shape of a spiral, instead of just straight, you might ask? Because if they were straight the gasses would squeeze between them and proper seal would not be formed. If they made the whole slug a larger diameter however, there would be a danger of it getting stuck in a fouled barrel, or one with dings, and blowing it up. This is also why a slug is hollow instead of solid like a round musket ball.

• Like 1