Finally got to use my Saiga!

Congrats! You just helped increase the rodent population! :rolleyes:

That is was a completely harmless black snake....one of the best, most efficient rat and mouse killers on the planet. Couldn't have hurt you or anyone if it tried. In fact they have also been known to kill and eat poisonous snakes.

• Like 4

I have nothing against someone killing a poisonous snake on their own property, where it could be a danger to them, their kids, or their animals. Blasting a harmless non poisonous snake is not cool though. They are very beneficial animals. They much more good than they ever do harm. (unless you happen to raise rabbits or other rodents...).

http://www.firemanjax.com/blacksnake/index.html

You may want to order some rat shot for the rats and mice that you will start seeing in the near future. A snake that size eats several a week depending on the temp. If he was going under your house you already have something he wanted to eat living there.

• Like 1

I used Federal multipurpose ammo and as for the snake, I'd rather deal with the rats and mice! Some black snakes are mixed breed with moccansin here in eastern NC. You can't go by what they look like here just treat them all as poison carriers!

Edited by LOVE MY SAIGA!

Congrats! You just helped increase the rodent population! :rolleyes:

That is was a completely harmless black snake....one of the best, most efficient rat and mouse killers on the planet. Couldn't have hurt you or anyone if it tried. In fact they have also been known to kill and eat poisonous snakes.

Cobra I stand beside you on this.

I rescued this little guy from the road near my house, and it is poisonous but not harming anything or putting anyone in danger . I just hate when people will swerve damn near kill themselves just too hit the snake thats only about foot from the edge of the road.

post-6703-052723400 1284690414_thumb.jpg

Edited by superhawk138

I have nothing against someone killing a poisonous snake on their own property, where it could be a danger to them, their kids, or their animals. Blasting a harmless non poisonous snake is not cool though. They are very beneficial animals. They much more good than they ever do harm. (unless you happen to raise rabbits or other rodents...).

http://www.firemanjax.com/blacksnake/index.html

I like snakes, lizards, frogs, and spiders.... poisonous or not, just because of their diet. I wouldn't like a snake large enough to eat my 60 lb dog, but other than that, they are GTG at my house.

I used Federal multipurpose ammo and as for the snake, I'd rather deal with the rats and mice! Some black snakes are mixed breed with moccansin here in eastern NC. You can't go by what they look like here just treat them all as poison carriers!

I'm calling BS on this... I bet you think every snake anywhere near the water is a "moccansin" too. Obviously just an uninformed individual with a phobia.

• Like 1

Hey bro nothing personal. Don't want to piss off one of my NC neighbors by telling him what he should or shouldn't do with snakes on his property. For one thing though, I've been raising, breeding for sale, and handling snakes all my life...poisonous and non poisonous. I've had pet snakes from one second old Copperheads I saw born live, to 15 foot Burmese Pythons that weighed as much as me, and hatched their eggs / sold the babies....I've had, seen, or caught most every species of reptile in this state, and I have never in my life heard of any snakes cross breeding. That's a myth dude, and total BS. Humans and dogs do it, but birds and snakes do not. It's a good idea to educate yourself about snakes and all other creatures in our environment.

Superhawk and Evl...I hear ya. I never kill a snake, poisonous or not. I've only killed one on purpose that I can remember, and it was a three plus foot Copperhead that was about two feet from me when my German Shepherd heard it, rushed it, and got bit square on the nose with both fangs. I would have caught and relocated that one but had no time obviously...had to help my dog instead. Snakes don't usually bother humans unless provoked or accidentally stepped on.

Now about exotic and poisonous species turning up where they don't naturally belong....that definitely does happen...a lot. Storms destroy places where they are being kept and they escape into the wild, or they get released into the wild by some people that don't know any better. They can't usually survive winters unless in the deep south, but it happens. Shit look at the Everglades...Asian pythons and boas are pretty much a new natural species in Fla now, and doing quite well there. All the more reason people should get educated about snakes and learn to identify dangerous ones from not. Just killing every snake you come across is irresponsible and stupid.

• Like 1

This reminds me of that guy who posted here a while back talking about how him and his son obliterated a handful of snakes by shooting almost two dozen rounds at them....Not cool. I'm with Cobra on this one.

I understand that Love My Saiga did not know what kind of snake it was in that situation and did not take a chance on it. That's cool. But now knowing, and still not giving a shit, seems like a low thing to do IMO...

You want to know why everyone in AZ carries a gun? Because you are always looking over your shoulder for snakes and criminal element... In the past 2.5 years i have come across 6 snakes on and around my home. All poisonous rattle snakes. I caught and relocated 2 from my property in the last year. Then this happened last month. I let both dogs out in our back yard to pee, and did my usual walk around and check the corners before letting them out. But I missed a 2ft diamond back in the bushes. I think the brown one got the first strike, right under his eye & the white one got a smaller dose of poison on the top of her snout. FYI, antivenom is expensive!!!

Then last night I found a 3ft & :devil: pissed off :devil: Diamond back in my driveway...who got away :( Then today, 12 hrs later, I find an 8inch baby Diamond back in my garage. (notice he is missing his head.) Im done fucking around with these things...I hate to kill them but its whats best for my family. All i can say is T.I.A......this is az. BTW both dogs are doing fine now, almost 100% again. :D

-EnzNow

post-18211-000045200 1284713604_thumb.jpg

post-18211-019250500 1284713614_thumb.jpg

post-18211-093699400 1284713638_thumb.jpg

post-18211-093844800 1284713646_thumb.jpg

Edited by EnzNow
  • Like 1

I need some of those black snakes for my attic!

Down here we get diamond backs, timber rattlers, & water moccasins. I've been very fortunate to have never gotten too close to one though. I learned at a very early age to watch where you step.

Here's a 7' diamond back that was found just 20 minutes from me.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/local/news-article.aspx?storyid=145897&catid=3

post-9800-096645200 1284726232_thumb.jpg

I need some of those black snakes for my attic!

Down here we get diamond backs, timber rattlers, & water moccasins. I've been very fortunate to have never gotten too close to one though. I learned at a very early age to watch where you step.

Here's a 7' diamond back that was found just 20 minutes from me.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/local/news-article.aspx?storyid=145897&catid=3

HOLY HELL thats a big rattler, i thought it a python when i first looked at the picture...

kill the snakes, save bambi... :super: