Picked up a 1964 enfield chambered in .308 and it's a very beautiful rifle. However, there seems to be some play in the trigger, it moves excessively back and forth regardless of bolt being cocked or not. Is this normal? Not too familiar with enfields so I figured I'd get some insight from those here who may have them.

Edited by VaiFanatic90

Yep, Enfield trigger wiggle is normal, at least on ever single No.4 I've handled including the two I owned.

I was just curious, because it's really wiggly. Oh, and I found my carry handle, but I haven't inspected it yet. In the middle of a project, so I'll let you know again tonight.

enfieldtrigger.png

GREEN is the striker and cocking knob

RED is the sear

BLUE is the trigger (duh)

BROWN is the spring for the sear and magazine catch

That should give you an idea of how the thing works. The problem is that the trigger has no return spring, nor any take-up adjustment; it just hangs there doing whatever whatever it pleases. Dunno about on the Ishapore rifles or the SMLE No.1 Mk.3, but on the No.4 Mk.1 the trigger is pinned to the trigger guard (as shown in the pic/diagram) while on the No.4 Mk.2 it's pinned to the receiver.

By the way its chambered in 7.62x51 not .308, the .308 will fit and fire but some hunting ammo is much higher pressure then 7.62x51 specifications.

I'm sure you know, just wanted to let readers know.

The Brits did not like hair triggers, same as the Russians. The slop in the trigger is something you can get used to after a couple dozen rounds. If you attempt to take any of it out be sure that sear engagement is not negatively affected. You don't want a rifle that fires when bumped.

• Like 3

enfieldtrigger.png

GREEN is the striker and cocking knob

RED is the sear

BLUE is the trigger (duh)

BROWN is the spring for the sear and magazine catch

That should give you an idea of how the thing works. The problem is that the trigger has no return spring, nor any take-up adjustment; it just hangs there doing whatever whatever it pleases. Dunno about on the Ishapore rifles or the SMLE No.1 Mk.3, but on the No.4 Mk.1 the trigger is pinned to the trigger guard (as shown in the pic/diagram) while on the No.4 Mk.2 it's pinned to the receiver.

Thanks CSM, I haven't had a chance to open it yet either, super lazy this week, but that explains a lot.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/

Do some searches on the above and the associated forum, lots of good info on the Ishapore and Enfields in general. I love mine and with a bit of tweeking I've got it to a good (but slightly heavy) two stage that brakes like glass. I decided to go the nice custom sporter route on mine, I'm not going to post the pic again but it's on my gallery page here.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/

Do some searches on the above and the associated forum, lots of good info on the Ishapore and Enfields in general. I love mine and with a bit of tweeking I've got it to a good (but slightly heavy) two stage that brakes like glass. I decided to go the nice custom sporter route on mine, I'm not going to post the pic again but it's on my gallery page here.

Thanks! I'll be sure to check it out!

I've had an ishapore for a couple of years. Bought it really cheap from AIM Surplus. Took several hours of cleaning the cosmoline out of the wood to metal gaps under the stock and handguards. Shoots very well for the price and a tough old bastard.

I've had an ishapore for a couple of years. Bought it really cheap from AIM Surplus. Took several hours of cleaning the cosmoline out of the wood to metal gaps under the stock and handguards. Shoots very well for the price and a tough old bastard.

I outta post some pics, but I'm lazy today, hahaha.

By the way its chambered in 7.62x51 not .308, the .308 will fit and fire but some hunting ammo is much higher pressure then 7.62x51 specifications.

I'm sure you know, just wanted to let readers know.

The Brits did not like hair triggers, same as the Russians. The slop in the trigger is something you can get used to after a couple dozen rounds. If you attempt to take any of it out be sure that sear engagement is not negatively affected. You don't want a rifle that fires when bumped.

+1

this is Not a fact to be overlooked

people have shot them with 308 for years and never had a problem, but it's still there.

use caution

• 2 weeks later...

2s5.jpg

Enfields are known to have bad-ass durability in their actions.

An appraiser told me that mine was a .30-06 converted, sporterized M1914.

Some dude at a gun show tried to tell me it was a converted M1917, but the parts he showed me, insisting that they were the M1917 parts weren't the same as what I have.

So I really don't know what I have. It seems to be a bastardized mix. There's no serial # anywhere on it.

The guy I bought it from said it was a WWI sniper rifle & It had quite a few Germans on it.

But who knows.

It does shoot out to 800 yards well though, & I'm not really too proficient a shot compared to some.

The biggest bitch is to find places where I can hike out 800 yards & not have to cross a river to mount the targets.

My trigger doesn't wiggle at all forward, but there's quite a bit of play before it breaks. It's under spring pressure at all times.

I like it.

The contour of the trigger is GREAT & I love the groves.

I'll take it over the Savage .308 that the girl recently bought for $400.00 any day of the week & twice on Sundays.

The Savage is built cheap in comparison.

Is yours "cock on close", as opposed to "cock on open"?

The M1914 & M1917 were made to be cock-on-close to increase rate of fire.

Some don't like it, but I do.

The 1914 and 1917 Enfields are much closer in design to the Mauser/Springfield than to the Lee-action rifles from what I understand; completely different design, so it shouldn't have the trigger-wiggle. Also all of the Lee-action rifles are cock-on-close, with the exception of aftermarket or custom modified bolt assemblies for cock-on-unlock.

Edited by Caspian Sea Monster
  • 1 month later...