Hi everyone. I am trying to decide between buying a Yugo SKS and a Saiga x39. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice based on their experience of the Accuracy, Reliability and Practicality of these two rifles. I had originally been planning on buying a saiga .308 but a Swiss K31 caught my eye instead. So I am still looking to get a fighting carbine. I am not interested in putting optics on it and I will probably be keeping it pretty plain jane whichever one I get.

Thanks!

I would go for the Russian Saiga x39, and do a conversion with some nice wooden furniture :wub:

Don't get me wrong, the Yugo SKS's are great, but I'd much rather have a dedicated AK-47 type weapon that I can always rely on. With a bullet guide and some other minor mods, you'll be able to use Saiga mags and military surplus mags! Should a SHTF scenario ever occur, you'll have a better chance finding AK mags than say those for an SKS.

Just my .02, YMMV.

Hi everyone. I am trying to decide between buying a Yugo SKS and a Saiga x39. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice based on their experience of the Accuracy, Reliability and Practicality of these two rifles. I had originally been planning on buying a saiga .308 but a Swiss K31 caught my eye instead. So I am still looking to get a fighting carbine. I am not interested in putting optics on it and I will probably be keeping it pretty plain jane whichever one I get.

Thanks!

A Saiga 308 would still be good. If not that, a converted Saiga 7.62x39, or better yet, an SGL21. If you don't want to convert, and your only two choices are Saiga 7.62x39 and SKS, I would go SKS. The unconverted Saiga is lacking.

Thanks!

A Saiga 308 would still be good. If not that, a converted Saiga 7.62x39, or better yet, an SGL21. If you don't want to convert, and your only two choices are Saiga 7.62x39 and SKS, I would go SKS. The unconverted Saiga is lacking.

Jim makes and excellent point. If you're not going to convert your saiga back into it's AK form, then the SKS is a better way to go.

Sx39 is new firearm, SKS's used(or are they making newones?)firearm. I prefer the newer firearm esp since they go for about the same as a used SKS, at least in my area. Get the 20" barrel if you want similar range.

Sx39 is new firearm, SKS's used(or are they making newones?)firearm. I prefer the newer firearm esp since they go for about the same as a used SKS, at least in my area. Get the 20" barrel if you want similar range.

If you want a fighting-carbine as you call it, you'll want to go with the 16" barrel for better maneuverability. A fighting carbine is usually used for close-range combat, so you don't really need to worry about accuracy at long ranges, or range in general. A converted saiga will be just right for you, it's reliable, rugged and shoots a respectable round.

An sks is a fine weapon and very fun to shoot. I have one, love it, will never let it go. I hunt with it on occasion. I also have a saiga. Its is also a GREAT weapon and I hunt with it. Either can take down any medium game you want. THey are both fun and I will never get rid of either.

What would I choose if I HAD to choose between them? THe Saiga. Its a blast, fun to shoot, fun to restore and work on.

Id say decide what you want first, then put the other on second on the list. Get em both. :super:

Edit: although if you do go sks.....go Norinco. :devil:

Edited by Chevyman097

Jim makes and excellent point. If you're not going to convert your saiga back into it's AK form, then the SKS is a better way to go.

I'll say this, though. If I were to get an SKS, I would not get a Yugo. Too much useless extra crap on it (grenade launching attachment, grenade launcher sights, etc), and it is longer than the other variants and thus less wieldy. Also, the barrel is not chrome lined.

I see that Aim is offering a sale of Romanian SKS rifles right now for a decent price...

• 3 months later...

I'll say this, though. If I were to get an SKS, I would not get a Yugo. Too much useless extra crap on it (grenade launching attachment, grenade launcher sights, etc), and it is longer than the other variants and thus less wieldy. Also, the barrel is not chrome lined.

I see that Aim is offering a sale of Romanian SKS rifles right now for a decent price...

Is the Saiga chrome lined?

And what are the conversions? You mean to accept AK magazines? Or is there more?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a yugo SKS and IMHO it is very well build like a tank. A chrome lined barrel contributes to ease of maintain when using corrosive ammo. A chrome line barrel does not and may even detracts from accuracy. Top end target rifles are never chrome lined. Just clean your rifle. HUH. I can agree with the grenade launcher but kids thinks it looks tacti cool so it might always be a minus. They like the bayonet too :)

My SKS is slightly more accurate than my saiga AK. Short stroke piston and longer barrel contributes to that. I got the SKS first and then went all out to turn it into an AK. So I bought an AK.

Edited by rocinante
  • 3 weeks later...

SKS's were great when they were $75 each!

But at the price they are now there is no why I would consider one over an AK, even an unconverted Saiga.

I agree completely with Azrial had a Yugo SKS all tapco'd out and like the Saiga X39 so much better for many reasons even unconverted. Lighter by far, more reliable as well, less feeding issues, better made, better quality metal, my Saiga is more accurate than my SKS was as well, and for overall looks Saiga 8-9, SKS 6 out of 10. To each his own, but for me Saiga has my vote by far!!!:super:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks!

In a perfect world you could have both. This isn't a perfect world, so.....

You mentioned you wanted a "fighting carbine". Either of the two would serve pretty well in that capacity except for one thing. Feeding the beast. The rock and lock on a Saiga may not be as fast as a magwell but is quicker and less clumsy than swapping hi cap mags on an SKS.

I've only run one SKS and that was very limited but it was accurate. I'd probably give it a slight edge there. Reliability and practicality go to the Saiga hands down IMHO. Two out of three ain't bad.

• 1 month later...

The SKS is best if you are going to be on your belly in the mud. The top feed mag doesn't require lifting to reload. The Saiga and all AK's ae better for everything else. Accuracy slightly better in the SKS. Make your world perfect and get BOTH!

Thanks!

I'd probably get an SKS in a state that only allows 10 round magazines or that requires bullet buttons. Otherwise, get the Saiga and convert.