Ok... heres a question for ANYONE out there...

I bought a Ruger 10/22 rifle, stainless 22" barrel, nice checkered walnut stock...

it looks great and shoots good... BUT... when i take it outside, and the sunlight hits the silver receiver... it TURNS a FAINT SHADE OF PURPLE!!!!

Anyone ever seen anything like this before?? and have *ANY CLUE* WHY IT DOES THIS?!?!?!?!

I call it my lil purple gun... even though its silver/stainless...

IT boggles me... is it the alloy of the receiver? the paint on it? ???

:smoke:

Yeah, just something to do with the alloy when cast ( or forged which ever ruger does) or something, some of them are more purple than others, I have seen some in the gunshop that was down right lavender. I dont know if I want to be that in touch with my feminine side. :D

no shit....I wonder if theres any titanium in the alloy to turn it purple? I suppose I should just start TELLING PEOPLE THAT to cover the purpleness! LOL I guess an email to ruger is in order...

Well, the SUCKHOLE part of it is the fact that under normal flourescent lighting, you cant see the purple...

it only comes out under incandescant light or sunlight!

so while in the store, it looks like a cool stainless rifle... take it outside, and you got yourself a GIRLYGUN! LOL

ah well... it still looks good and shoots nice, so heck with it... jut gotta deal with it being purple...

i think it might be the berrillium in the stainless alloy. titanium is yellowish in color usually, not purple as far as i know.

i have a blued 10/22 that when i first got it was purpleish. that was the chemicals in the blueing component though, not the metal. maybe it is in what ruger uses to coat the metal with?

Yeah, just something to do with the alloy when cast ( or forged which ever ruger does) or something, some of them are more purple than others, I have seen some in the gunshop that was down right lavender.  I dont know if I want to be that in touch with my feminine side. :D

I had a friend who's wife took his 10/22 and had a gun smith put a Butler Creek pink synthetic stock on it as a joke. A pink stock with the purple reciever would really be getting in touch with your feminine side.

• 2 weeks later...
I made the mistake of Flitzing one of my Mossberg 500A's

FLITZING???

What is Flitzing? and is the purple you describe, similar to my description? looks silver in flourescent light, but turns a pastel purple in incandescent and sunlight??

Ok... heres a question for ANYONE out there...

I bought a Ruger 10/22 rifle, stainless 22" barrel, nice checkered walnut stock...

it looks great and shoots good... BUT... when i take it outside, and the sunlight hits the silver receiver... it TURNS a FAINT SHADE OF PURPLE!!!!

Mace Windu's rifle

:lolol:

i had a beadblasted crkt knife that used to look purple/blue/pink and every other color in the spectrum when hit with direct sunlight.

actually it looked like the colors would move around.

figured it had something to do with the suns rays.

• 1 year later...

Found this and thought it was interesting you ask, a couple of years ago, but you asked.

Stainless steel, along with some other metals, are purple. It isn't "cold blue steel" it is "cold purple steel. If you can look past the metalic shine, it is purple underneath.

I noticed this a few yrs ago. Every once in a while when I was at work, I would notice my hands would get stained purple. I wondered for a long time what did it since I am a tree guy. Finally I figured out it was from my chipper hitch. Where it would get rubbed and make a light powder I guess. I was still a little confussed. Then I noticed that when I would cut a tree down with nails inside of it that the surronding wood was purple. ( If you ever cut a peice of wood and see a dark purple spot in it, know you where real close to dulling your blade on metal). After I noticed this I thought about how my hands would get stained. Then I started to look at metal a little deeper than the metalic and noticed it was purple underneath the shine. Purple is the color of steel.

If you look at the pics of the WM guys giving their "thumbs up", you will notice their thumbs are flat and purple. Purple and flat from constantly rubbing the metal.

Some people want the purple receivers over the regular ones, there is a bit of demand for these over the regular ones. Check out rimfire central, they may have something about the purple receivers there.

Good Luck

MD

Some people want the purple receivers over the regular ones, there is a bit of demand for these over the regular ones. Check out rimfire central, they may have something about the purple receivers there.

Good Luck

MD

Maybe I confussed something. I thought Indy said it was a regular stainless receiver. Reguardless, steel is purple under the shine.

I did some further reading and the stainless guns look like they have a silver colored powdercoated receiver that has a clear coat on it... maybe the clear coating/powerder coat is doing this? Additional posts are saying that the receiver may not be stainless, but Aluminium instead...

Sorry confused the issue, I see his is stainless.

The purple or plum guns I've seen online tend to be blued incorrectly or have higher silicon content in the steel.

• 3 weeks later...
10/22s (except magnums) have an aluminum receiver. I think the "stainless" receivers get clear anodized. My "blued" 10/22 is really purple in bright sun especially the scope mount.

Time for someone to do a density test on their receiver, hahaha

10/22

From the instruction manual: Do NOT use abrasives on the clear coating of the aluminum alloy receiver and trigger housing.

emphasis added