Well my buddy and

i both got 5 point bucks off the ranch 10 minutes into rifle season on Saturday. Here are the results! Each 1 shot kills. Mine dropped where he stood and my friends ran maybe 50 yards. Both shot with a .308 mine with my Saiga 16" and his with my FN bolt action rifle. Lots of fun! Celabratory Whiskey shots were had at 8:30 am. Hung and skinned by 11am. Tough Deer season for me!

post-16191-090373000 1287977548_thumb.jpg

post-16191-094579600 1287977555_thumb.jpg

post-16191-079388600 1287977567_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Tasty as well! cooked up one of the hearts last night. Scrumdiddlyumtious!!

how exactly did you cook it? do you age your venison at all? those are some really nice bucks, rarely see them that big around here. also we would call em a 10 point. also never seen one skinned from the neck down like that.

Edited by big-J

Cooked the heart in a frying pan. Lightly battered and cooked with butter, onions and garlic. I age the meat for about a week usually. Longer if it is cold enough.I eat the heart and liver fresh. I wait till the meat get more Burgundy in color than Red. Tender that way for sure! These were some pretty big fellas but of course there was a bigger guy who wouldn't present a shot.....not that you can eat antlers.

I hang 'em that way, a bit higher up, and gut 'em into a trash can. Stuff falls right out into the bag and I take the mess away......if I leave it in the field here the dogs will roll around in it.

That's my idea of a successful SEASON ! Congrats for the 'One Shot Drop' and for the freezer full that it looks like you brought back with you. Our whitetails here run a bit smaller, but to Hell with the horns...get the Meat Home !!!

Cooked the heart in a frying pan. Lightly battered and cooked with butter, onions and garlic. I age the meat for about a week usually. Longer if it is cold enough.I eat the heart and liver fresh. I wait till the meat get more Burgundy in color than Red. Tender that way for sure! These were some pretty big fellas but of course there was a bigger guy who wouldn't present a shot.....not that you can eat antlers.

I hang 'em that way, a bit higher up, and gut 'em into a trash can. Stuff falls right out into the bag and I take the mess away......if I leave it in the field here the dogs will roll around in it.

Nice Rob. Grats on the meat to feed on. Sounds yummy. I tend to aim for the youngins and Doe. :devil: I like the tender meat. But all is well. Good start to a season none the less. :killer:

I always fill my tag with the first critter that meets the legal description on my tag. Usually that ends up being a doe, and I am happy with that! just got lucky with a good sized early season buck! had some back straps tonight.... I wish I could type that sound Homer Simpson makes when he thinks of donuts!

Nice! When I still lived up there, we used to get quite a few damage hunt tags as well for Muley does. One year a buddy and myself filled 5 Muley tags and 2 Whitetails in one morning. My truck literally looked like a meat wagon! Then all the time was spent butchering instead of chasing Elk.