.65" Round ball 12 gauge ammo.

I have a bunch of them, same brand. They shoot good. I don't see much advantage of them over slugs though, and would rather have normal slugs. I could not tell any difference in accuracy at 25 yards but am guessing at 50 and 100 aerodynamics would make a regular foster/brenneke slug superior.

They do make some cool .65 ball + with 5x 00 buck pellet loads. Now those are sweet, but I understand they wouldn't be allowed at your range.

I have a bunch of them, same brand. They shoot good. I don't see much advantage of them over slugs though, and would rather have normal slugs. I could not tell any difference in accuracy at 25 yards but am guessing at 50 and 100 aerodynamics would make a regular foster/brenneke slug superior.

They do make some cool .65 ball + with 5x 00 buck pellet loads. Now those are sweet, but I understand they wouldn't be allowed at your range.

Does the crimp opening look like this?

2u9kaxd.jpg

My main interest is $0.34/shot for at the range, I got a bunch of 00 and KO slugs. If they do o.k. at 25 yards, I think I'm going to order 300 of them when I get home.

Very cool. Yes they were very consistent at 25 yards. They shot about maybe an inch or two high out of an 18.5 Mossberg 500 with a very consistent group.

Edited by Classy Kalashnikov

The only thing I really like about it more than a regular 72 caliber foster slug is no lead streaks in the barrel because of the shot cup. I hate lead streaks and having to clean them out.

I am on the fence about using such for home defense. Brick walls will stop it exiting my home so I am not worried there. It will work about as good as any slug and will not lack penetration.

It's also pretty difficult to villify a plain lead musket ball if sued in court over a self defense shooting. I can't see any drawbacks to keeping this around for home defense.

Other than up close and personal or range fun, I don't have any other uses for it.

Edited by my762buzz
  • Like 1

Got some of that buck and ball too. Good stuff.

Well damm, you must have had some fun with this load then.

I might need to buy a few cases.

The Buck and Ball stuff is pretty ridiculous. It gives Winchester PDX1 a run for its money and is a lot cheaper too.

Speaking of HD loads the WInchester PDX1 is pretty nice. Buck and slugs mix and it's specifically marketed for Home Defense so it would be hard for someone to try and say it is "exotic"

The Buck and Ball stuff is pretty ridiculous. It gives Winchester PDX1 a run for its money and is a lot cheaper too.

Speaking of HD loads the WInchester PDX1 is pretty nice. Buck and slugs mix and it's specifically marketed for Home Defense so it would be hard for someone to try and say it is "exotic"

Wow. I guess no problem for home defense. Any attorney can compare it to Winchester's load and show it is mainstream. This is good to know thanks.

Yeah, you could claim that you shot the perp with a flintlock musket :lolol:

Yeah that is another comparison that can be drawn from. Your honor, he used colonial era style ammunition. A musket ball just like George Washington used to defend this great nation. LOL

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/cPath/120_259_206/products_id/5109

I'm thinking about grabbing 300 or so of these. Can anyone give me a reason not to? I've never heard of that load before, but that would work at the public range-slugs only.

I've shot a bunch of the Nobelsport "Law Enforcement" stuff .. round ball, and their slugs. All of it seems pretty good; never had a problem with it. I did notice those that every so often a Nobelsport round doesn't seem to have as much punch as the others. It still cycles my gun fine, but in the end, that inconsistency lead to me to choose Hornady TAP buckshot as my HD round.

But for chucking large pieces of lead at the range, Nobelsport and Rio are my favorites.. cheap, and hard hitting.

It costs a little more, but this ammo looks more interesting to me. 2 .65 balls per shell, rather than 1, made by the same company.

P-A ya bastard! I just bought a new handgun, 500 rounds of .22mag, and 300 rounds of the single ball stuff. Now I want these too, and I'm tapped out until after Xmas. Hopefully they're still cheap. lol.

It costs a little more, but this ammo looks more interesting to me. 2 .65 balls per shell, rather than 1, made by the same company.

Holy crap! There's no way that stuff is supersonic... Will have to consult Red Jacket first to make sure that ammo is kosher, but that might be the perfect factory load for a suppressed shotgun! Now I just need $900+$200+shipping+transfer... so about $1200 I can afford to blow on a shotgun suppressor.

Once again thanks for pointing this load out. There is a thread at shotgunworld where someone used a wad wizard and his centurian defense ball and buck loads were perfectly centered with the ball in the middle. Now that two .65 ball loads exist to test, this could get real interesting. The larger the lead balls the less they spread apart and retain better velocity.

I got a wad wizard to test with so now I just need a few hundred of these loads.

i started loading something similar, but with a .68 round ball. i cast them myself. in the old days they called them "pumpkin balls". these are my "make as many as i can in a hurry slugs". they are much easier/faster to make than my foster slugs. accuracy is not as good as a foster, but penetration is better. im actually gonna start doing some buck and ball loads soon. i honestly dont see myself buying ammo anymore. especially since i get all my hulls for free from our local LEO range. powder, primers and wads, thats all ill be buying. i have molds to cast all my shot, and all the wheel weights i could ask for from my cousins tire shop.

im in a good place for shotshells :super:

• Like 2

I swear somewhere on this forum there was a thread about ball rounds being just as acurate as slugs but I dont know a whole lot.

If you think all of those rounds are cool google Dixie Tri-ball. God I wish saiga could shoot 3 1/2

$12 for a box of 5 dixie tri balls with .60 caliber balls. $2.20 a shot

I been wanting to pour, cast, and load my own balls or slugs with a cup. I keep seeing that tire wheel lead weights are being phased out to non-lead like for example zinc because of some

new environmental law. I guess the scrap metal yards might offer the next best deal on lead.

I swear somewhere on this forum there was a thread about ball rounds being just as acurate as slugs but I dont know a whole lot.

If you think all of those rounds are cool google Dixie Tri-ball. God I wish saiga could shoot 3 1/2

$12 for a box of 5 dixie tri balls with .60 caliber balls. $2.20 a shot

I been wanting to pour, cast, and load my own balls or slugs with a cup. I keep seeing that tire wheel lead weights are being phased out to non-lead like for example zinc because of some

new environmental law. I guess the scrap metal yards might offer the next best deal on lead.

go talk to youre local tire shops. they may be willing to give them to you for free (thats been my experience) and it would be tin not zinc. most of youre eco friendly fishing weights are now tin. also old car batteries are a good sorce of free lead (just add a little tin for hardness, 2-3% should be fine)

my friend was cleaning somones yard and he came across 2 large sheets of casting lead. you can also go to places people shoot and pick up old cast bulets ( i recover the slugs from our range) lead is actually one of the easiest things to get ahold of. tire weights are nice because of the lead tin ratio, but they are not youre only source.

• Like 1

I cast and reload too. I just purchased a saiga 12 a few weeks ago but havent shot it yet.. I picked up a LEE 12ga slug molds and they cast nice with pure lead. I made up 50 so far and wonder how theyll shoot out of the Saiga. These slugs are actually designed to be set inside a regular shot wad and then sealed with a standard star crimp. Looking at one of these reloads from the outside looks like a regular bird shot load. They work really good out of my full rifled M870 (poor mans sabot basically) but I never tried them out of a smooth bore. Wonder how this setup will work in the Saiga? Should be a fun cheap slug plinker under 50yds anyways.

I cast and reload too. I just purchased a saiga 12 a few weeks ago but havent shot it yet.. I picked up a LEE 12ga slug molds and they cast nice with pure lead. I made up 50 so far and wonder how theyll shoot out of the Saiga.

I have that same mold too. It took me a little practice at first to learn how to cast (I was getting the mold either too hot or too cold) but once I got it down it was pretty efficient and I was able to crank the slugs out at a decent rate.