Parts suggestions for an S-12 conversion

My S-12 is currently on it's way to Cadiz for warranty repair. I think my gas ports were of insufficient diameter and partially blocked by the gas block. Failures to eject were common with low brass despite trying an MD arms vplug.

Upon it's return, a gunsmith friend of mine is going to help me with a conversion.

Would some of you be so kind to offer suggestions regarding what parts I need to order prior to the conversion? I have read the conversion threads, but am still not sure what I will need to buy before starting.

Will I need a trigger guard, fire control group, and I assume a pistol grip and stock? Please offer suggestions on what I need to order to convert it to a pistol grip.

Thank you in advance.

None of them use plastic triggers to the best of my knowledge.

You can fab or salvage a trigger-guard from 1/2" wide sheet, or your old one.

You need,

1 A pistol grip

2 A way to attach it via a trigger guard that has a provision, or a pistol grip nut/bolt and a hole you cut.

3 A trigger or trigger group

4 A new buttstock to fit the AK pattern (many options)

5 A plate or "shepards crook" to retain the pins.

A $20 Dremel type tool and grinding bits

A combination of these parts that includes enough USA produced parts to satisfy 922R requirements and your local laws and an afternoon to get it done. You will do your second conversion in an hour, and your third in 20min.

Read the stickies, it's all there.

Welcome to the club.

• Like 1

I spent a lot of time on Carolina Shooters Supply website, looking at parts and reading descriptions. This seems to be the easiest way for a new DIYer to convert. Plus, the prices were good, the customer service is good and the parts came quick.

When I got my parts, I watched the youtube videos by CSS which really show how easy it is to do.

My S-12 is currently on it's way to Cadiz for warranty repair. I think my gas ports were of insufficient diameter and partially blocked by the gas block. Failures to eject were common with low brass despite trying an MD arms vplug.

Upon it's return, a gunsmith friend of mine is going to help me with a conversion.

Would some of you be so kind to offer suggestions regarding what parts I need to order prior to the conversion? I have read the conversion threads, but am still not sure what I will need to buy before starting.

Will I need a trigger guard, fire control group, and I assume a pistol grip and stock? Please offer suggestions on what I need to order to convert it to a pistol grip.

Thank you in advance.

Personally, if I were you, since your gun is over at Cadiz anyhow; I'd just pay them to convert it and work it over.

I really want to get my barrel chopped, a LRBHO, and some other odds and ends.. their prices are reasonable, but I just can't bear to send her off just yet.. but if it was out for warranty work anyhow, I'd get the works done.

What he said...^^^^ There is a lot of info available on the forums and people willing to help. Let me know if I can help via PM. Converting the gun yourself will give you a much better working knowledge of it, and you will appreciate it more.

If I bought this kit from Carolina Shooters Supply, would I need anything else, parts wise?

Thanks guys for the help.

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-440/SAIGA-12-CONVERSION-KIT/Detail

Went with that one because I'll probably add a quad rail up front.

That will do the job, but you may want a better stock. Buy once, cry once. Some people like the Tapco, so it is a personal choice.

Sweet. Thanks. Been reading alot more. this site is so full of information, it is almost overwhelming at first....that's why I asked so many question, and still do....getting there guys. Appreciate the support. Hope to be here for awhile, and answer a few questions myself someday.....

If I bought this kit from Carolina Shooters Supply, would I need anything else, parts wise?

Thanks guys for the help.

http://store.carolin...SION-KIT/Detail

Went with that one because I'll probably add a quad rail up front.

I agree about that stock. When I ordered my parts I pieced together my own kit, choosing a different pistol grip and stock. There were so many choices it was hard to make up my mind. After I did, I waited another day before I ordered it just to be sure. I ended up with the magpul stock and aluminum tube.

I bought my kit from Carolina also. It worked well.

I also bought the 3/16 cobalt bit and I'm glad I did. My back 2 rivets were very hard. I actually had to grind the top off one to get to metal soft enough to drill.

You might consider the modifed bolt hold open. It would have made the in-and-outs required to get everything right easier.

I would do the conversion yourself. It is not that difficult and there is plenty of help here.

I bought the cheap Tapco AK stock. It works okay, but it is short. I bought the slip-on pad and it is functional, but ugly.

I also got the Molot pistol grip and I like it.

There are endless options for stock and grip, so take some time thinking and asking about what you want, but don't get wrapped around the axle over it.

Newbie here, too. I just picked up my Saiga-12 this past weekend, and did the parts orders today.

Chaos Quad-rail with sights, warthog brake, CQC and piston, and then from Carolina Shooters Supply a basic SAW grip conversion kit with Tromix trigger guard, MD gas plug, Ace club stock with receiver block and folding attachment. A friend is going to give a hand with the conversion when the parts arrive. Now for the long long wait!

I'd highly recommend CSS for the parts.

What you need is a pistol grip, trigger guard (get either the Tromix or CSS one), Tromix modified Tapco G2 fire control group, a buttstock, and the 3/16" cobalt drill bit (and drill of course).

Re-use the stock bolt-hold open lever, and the factory shepherd's crook. I don't know if my Saiga was an anomaly or what, but I had no issues whatsoever re-using the factory BHO level and installing the safety. I didn't have to notch anything, but maybe I got lucky.

Only other tip I have is drill the front 2 rivers out from inside the receiver, and drill the back rivet out from the underside of the receiver.

Edited by TwentyNizzo

What's the weld on plate for? Is it needed for all conversions, or just if you intend to use a Troix stock?

http://store.carolin...il?sfs=e93e77fd

I think I understand after further reading, it is required for some stocks, but not all......some conversion stocks can be used with factory tang left as is, others require the removal of the tang and the addition of a plate....I think that's right....

I found this link informative, for me, still leaning toward a kit from Carolina shooters.....

http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/page.html?chapter=10&id=10

Edited by washburnizer

What's the weld on plate for? Is it needed for all conversions, or just if you intend to use a Troix stock?

http://store.carolin...il?sfs=e93e77fd

I think I understand after further reading, it is required for some stocks, but not all......some conversion stocks can be used with factory tang left as is, others require the removal of the tang and the addition of a plate....I think that's right....

I found this link informative, for me, still leaning toward a kit from Carolina shooters.....

http://www.mississip...hapter=10&id=10

There is a conversion "block" that can be used instead of the weld on plate. The weld on plate is what you would see on a pro conversion. You can use this STOCK ADAPTERif you don't want to weld, but you still have to cut the tang off the receiver. With this stock Magpul, for example, you do not need the adapter or plate, and don't have to cut the receiver. It just bolts right up. Make sense?

Edited by johnnyeastside
  • 1 month later...

I just ordered two of the MD arms 20 round drums........

Have one promag, and it works great. Hope MD's is as good!

Sorry to disappoint... but the MD-20 isn't "as" good.

The MD-20 is the absolute top of the line drum available to the market today, backed by a company that will go above & beyond all others in the pursuit of customer satisfaction.

(and MD-Arms offers covers & springs to have on hand if you ever want to change the color or have an extra spring on hand)

Edited by Paulyski