What's the point of aftermarket gad plugs?

And why do we change the setting on them? Why not just run it inn the setting that sends the most gas to the piston so it cycles properly every time? Why change it for high power shells so more gas is leaked out?

Anddd, what is the point of these gas plugs being sold? There is the tac 47 model that auto adjusts apparently... Why not just everyone get that?

I'm be to this gas plug stuff, I know many piston operated weapons have it...

I heard people have sol many problems related to this plug that I'm thinking of getting that auto plug before I even shoot it for the first time?

Thanks!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Answer;   To make money for people manufacturing & selling them.   That's the point of them.

my 1st question was why we change the settings on our shotguns for different ammo (I read and found out why)   my 2nd question was that there is a gas plug that automatically controls gas pressure f

short answer? to keap you from beating the shit out of youre rear trunion with magnum rounds. get a v plug it works great.

I have been reading. And actually learned a lot about the plugs along with the arguments between mike and cliff and your auto plug review. That doesn't mean I can't post the question and do my tech at the same time.

If you posted a "question" I might have considered a helpful answer. But you posted 5 or 6 questions (not quite sure) that were all over the place. Even your understanding of what a plug was seemed unclear. I simply thought that it would be better for you to do some more research and then ask a more specific question.

What is "the question" you'd like answered?

my 1st question was why we change the settings on our shotguns for different ammo (I read and found out why)

my 2nd question was that there is a gas plug that automatically controls gas pressure for you, and why shouldn't everyone just get that and be done with adjusting the plug. I found out that it doesn't work 100% as intended, and most people still have to adjust the tension screw between high and low brass ammo. That was from your review of the auto plug.

3rd was a statement and I was just saying that I'm new to the piston pressure world where you had to adjust settings. We have this on our machine guns in the army, but never really knew how they worked.

4th was also a statement saying how I've been checking the forums and I read alot of problems where people were having malfunctions due to improper gas settings. from my further reading it's not usually the gas plug, and it's actually the gas holes on the barrel, and not the plugs...

I'm sorry Bridis, I use forums often and the way I usually work on them is I'll ask my question, and start doing my review while I have asked my question.... Perhaps this was hard to understand, but I did type it out from my phone so it wasn't easy

• Like 1

I'm glad you found what you were looking for. Though your assement of my review of the Auto Plug is a bit askew. The Auto Plug does need to be adjusted to work with different guns. I was also able to get the Auto Plug to work with low brass ammo in later testing. However, I still need to test whether or not my S-12 cycles high brass ammo without significant damage to the trunion on the low brass setting.

Edited by Bridis

That's what my concern is about the auto plug. I'm aware it needs to be adjusted, but here is the problem. Adjusted once for the shotgun it's going on, or adjusted every time I shoot low and high brass ammo on the same shotgun? for me to get something auto like that, I'd like to set it for the minimum amount that it can cycle the low brass, and then go shoot high brass without changing any settings... That would make it auto. I would assume that the tension screw is to adjust it once to the weapon it's on, but that's it. not to constantly change it between high/low loads...

So I'm kind of waiting for you finish that review actually. I was thinking going out and doing my own lol

Edited by taseal

I wish more people would do testing. It would better serve the community. I know I'm not the only one with an auto plug.

I'll get to the rest of my testing at some point. With the Holidays comming up and my dad balttling cancer I'm not so sure when I'll get around to it.

my 1st question was why we change the settings on our shotguns for different ammo (I read and found out why)

my 2nd question was that there is a gas plug that automatically controls gas pressure for you, and why shouldn't everyone just get that and be done with adjusting the plug. I found out that it doesn't work 100% as intended, and most people still have to adjust the tension screw between high and low brass ammo. That was from your review of the auto plug.

3rd was a statement and I was just saying that I'm new to the piston pressure world where you had to adjust settings. We have this on our machine guns in the army, but never really knew how they worked.

4th was also a statement saying how I've been checking the forums and I read alot of problems where people were having malfunctions due to improper gas settings. from my further reading it's not usually the gas plug, and it's actually the gas holes on the barrel, and not the plugs...

I'm sorry Bridis, I use forums often and the way I usually work on them is I'll ask my question, and start doing my review while I have asked my question.... Perhaps this was hard to understand, but I did type it out from my phone so it wasn't easy

It does work 100% as intended, and you do not need to adjust it every time you switch ammo, that is the whole point.. its automatic.. set it to cycle your low brass then leave it alone..

Bridis,

You should take you Videos down until you get your story straight, you did testing and posted results with out the correct initial adjustment. 4000 views of your test with videos saying it doesn't work .. then it does.. you are confusing the fuck out of people.

I know the plug works we built it.. take the inaccurate videos off and maybe you wont have so many confused people out there thinking it does not cycle low brass. we do mag dumps full auto with fed and bulk winchester, with slugs and buck mixed in there.. the shit works. video to come of gun and installation. Seriously I get more dumb ass questions because of your premature conclusion, from an unadjusted plug. Just a request until you do your other test if you could take down the inaccurate testing.

Cliff Evans

You know, I might get your plug and do my own review. I have access to a high speed camera so I can video the bolts and compare with stock. This is on an un converted gun too. I'll adjust it per your instructions with low brass ammo then shoot self defense ammo

Edited by taseal

Answer;

To make money for people manufacturing & selling them.

That's the point of them.

Yup.

yup, yup

You know, I might get your plug and do my own review. I have access to a high speed camera so I can video the bolts and compare with stock. This is on an un converted gun too. I'll adjust it per your instructions with low brass ammo then shoot self defense ammo

You should.

I put in the V-Plug and it seems to be working just fine...but so did the factory plug before I switched. I may only use a box or two of 25 in a month...so I probably went the extra-bucks for the V-plug without real need. Oh Well. I've spent more for less return many times !!

Bridis,

You should take you Videos down until you get your story straight, you did testing and posted results with out the correct initial adjustment. 4000 views of your test with videos saying it doesn't work .. then it does.. you are confusing the fuck out of people.

I know the plug works we built it.. take the inaccurate videos off and maybe you wont have so many confused people out there thinking it does not cycle low brass. we do mag dumps full auto with fed and bulk winchester, with slugs and buck mixed in there.. the shit works. video to come of gun and installation. Seriously I get more dumb ass questions because of your premature conclusion, from an unadjusted plug. Just a request until you do your other test if you could take down the inaccurate testing.

Cliff Evans

Cliff,

It saddens me to see this continue on this way. I'm sorry you don't like the testing results. However, you have noone else to blame but yourself. The Auto Plug didn't come with any instructions on how to set it up, nor were there any available at the time of testing. That being said, I still don't know if the Auto Plug will successfully process all types of ammo without significantly damaging my gun. I still have to test the setting that cycles low brass with high brass loads. So I won't be taking down my current results until I can prove otherwise. Though I am a bit pissed off at your attitude towards my independant testing. Sumsky, his wife and myself spent several hours and I spent my own money doing this testing. Do you have any idea what that cost? Let me help you understand.

1 person x 2 hrs round trip travel

2 people x 3 hrs round trip travel

3 people x 5 hrs test time

1 person x 6+ hrs producing video (I leave out the time I spent learning the software)

$60.00 Video editing software

$550.00 HD Video Camera

$200.00 Ammo

approx $40.00 fule

Lets say everyone got paid $15.00 an hour (I wouldn't get out of bed for $15.00 an hour). Labor cost would be $435.00.

Bringing the testing to an estimated grand total of $1285.00.

Now if you'd like to send me a check for $1285.00, I'll sell you the rights to those testing videos and you can do whatever you want with them. Otherwise, you can STFU and be thankful that I don't take this as more of an insult and go crazy posting links all over the internet.

I tested the Auto Plug fairly. I never said that "it doesn't work". I said that it didn't reliably cycle low brass and that it did a better job than the Gunfixer cycling high brass. During my testing I adjusted the Auto Plug 2.5 turns clockwise and still didn't get reliable results. So to say the plug was not adjusted is inaccurate. I'm sorry that I'm confusing the dumb asses. They should learn to listen and read.

BTW, there are 2 different videos of the Auto Plug testing. According to my YouTube account they currently have a combined viewing of 800. The Low Brass Testing only has 301 views. So I'm not sure where the "4000 views" you post comes from.

Good day...

After watching your video's it really seems to me that the autoplug wasn't adjusted properly....what did you do you make sure it was correct?

I helped test the plug with Keith and had the same experience as you when the plug was first installed...but after we adjusted it to my S12 I had solid performance out of it. Haven't had any issues with it either and I shoot alot, particularly low brass naturally.

The only thing I would critize is that if you didn't know how to get it set up correctly, it isn't totally fair to publish videos showing that it doesn't work with lowbrass. Nothing wrong with recording your experience with the autoplug right out of the box, but if it's not setup correctly it's probably reasonable to assume it's not going to give proper results.

Z

Edited by TX-Zen

I don't think you're quite understanding what I said... THERE WERE NO SPECIFIC SETUP INSTRUCTIONS AT THE TIME OF MY TESTING. I tried tightening the Auto Plug to a point that I thought was safe to cycle all types of ammo and it still didn't reliably cycle low brass with the factory front recoil spring. If a product is released without sufficient setup data, you should expect problems. In the interim, TAC 47 or someone else has had ample opportunity to post video of extensive testing that says something different.

Instead of second guessing my testing you should ask why there hasn't been testing by others.

I don't think you're quite understanding what I said... THERE WERE NO SPECIFIC SETUP INSTRUCTIONS AT THE TIME OF MY TESTING. I tried tightening the Auto Plug to a point that I thought was safe to cycle all types of ammo and it still didn't reliably cycle low brass with the factory front recoil spring. If a product is released without sufficient setup data, you should expect problems. In the interim, TAC 47 or someone else has had ample opportunity to post video of extensive testing that says something different.

Instead of second guessing my testing you should ask why there hasn't been testing by others.

thats a good point, id love to see some actual vids from tac 47. maybe that way he can show how everything is supposed to work. might clear up some "confusion".

• Like 1

How would you or anyone know if the Auto Plug was adjusted right in the video? Especially since it supposedly needs to be adjusted differently for every gun.

You should do some of your own in depth testing and prove the A.P. works with high and low brass ammo instead of wasting everyone's time speculating.

I don't want to discourage anyone from buying an aftermarket plug.

My previous comment was kinda off handed... Kinda like the old adage, "You go to a Barber, he's gonna tell you ya need a haircut."

That wasn't really the intent of my post. They would be particularly useful for those with overgassed guns, or those who intentionally overgassed their guns... The aftermarket plugs may well protect the carriers & push-rods, which are more likely to fail than the trunnion.

Also, I applaud Tac-47 for innovating the auto-plug. That's really cool if it works well when dialed in...

I'll be honest... I've personally forgotten to change my plug setting when shooting high brass multiple times.

I felt kinda dumb.

A failsafe would be advantageous.

I do hope dude above does indeed do a slow-motion test to show the difference. I've been waiting for & suggesting this for some time.

I still eventually want to overgas a gun to the point of being able to reliably cycle bean-bag rounds & see if a MD-Arms-V-plug or Gunfixrs will tune it down for the more powerful 3" magnum rounds.

In theory it seems like it may work well & would be particularly attractive for LE use, being as they could run less lethal, then still be able to use lethal, without running the risk of damaging the gun.

+1 for the factory plug. An aftermarket gas plug is a band-aid fix, at best.

My MD bandaid was well worth the money I payed if only for the ability to turn it without pushing the detent in by hand.

+1 on easy adjustment. also its a great tool if you happen to reload.

• Like 1

+1 for the factory plug. An aftermarket gas plug is a band-aid fix, at best.

My MD bandaid was well worth the money I payed if only for the ability to turn it without pushing the detent in by hand.

Yeah, that's cool, and MD and other aftermarket gas plugs do offer some nice features for a low price.

That said.. what I meant in my original post is that there is a lot more to the S-12 gas system than the gas plug. Modifications to the gas ports, fcg surface polishing, etc, make a helluva lot more difference in the general performance of the gun.

evlblkwpnz, Paulyski, and some others have made these more significant improvements to their guns on their own. I preferred to just send my gun down to a damn talented gunsmith, (Mike Rogers at Lone Star Arms), and have everything taken care of...

mk32b.jpg

mk33.jpg

*note the factory gas plug :D

Edited by post-apocalyptic

Talk about a plug, you'll take any chance you can to post a pic of that thing won't ya? You're gonna have to start warning people the carrier is blinding.:lolol:

lol :lol: Yeah, pretty much. I just got her back, can ya blame me? :angel:

She's so sexy in person that if I just prop her in a corner, I sometimes catch myself starin. :D

Edited by post-apocalyptic