Anybody running a Tula gas plug?

I was just poking around on Oleg's site and happened across these gas plugs. I've never seen em before and wondered if anyone had any experience with them. The design looks a bit different from our domestic plugs.

I hope this won't be considered an ad for a non-sponsor because I'd really like to know more about these.

post-6253-0-70676400-1290894243_thumb.jpg

" 4-position gas regulator is made in Tula & designed to reduce recoil & change the speed of semi-auto action which allows the use of a wider range of cartridges inc those with light charge, standard charge & 'Magnum' type"

I saw that today on the formentioned site and thought it was a overly complicated design and for around $120 US plus S+H, I will stay with the V-plug at $20. Now if I was tring to do a authentic all russian build then I would get one, they also said it was made at Tula so I assume it was origially for the VEPR-12.

I wouldn't pay $120 for it because of the variety of effective plugs we have over here, but I doubt it's over complicated. The Russians generally don't build things that way and if it's made by Tula I'm betting there's a reason that its designed the way it is.

Z

You guys clearly aren't seeing what it is and how good it could be.

Look at it closely, the chromed section, the top adjustment knob, and that screw all fit together and float around the central threaded section. It's clearly designed to do away with fouling binding up the adjustment because the threads aren't used in it's adjustment. You don't have to worry about how many turns it goes in or any of that, you just screw it in and it's ready to go. In theory, you'd never have to unscrew it again. I really can't explain it in words very well but it seems like a great idea.

You guys clearly aren't seeing what it is and how good it could be.

Look at it closely, the chromed section, the top adjustment knob, and that screw all fit together and float around the central threaded section. It's clearly designed to do away with fouling binding up the adjustment because the threads aren't used in it's adjustment. You don't have to worry about how many turns it goes in or any of that, you just screw it in and it's ready to go. In theory, you'd never have to unscrew it again. I really can't explain it in words very well but it seems like a great idea.

Yes, it's super awesome. :rolleyes: If you really want to pay ~$120 for its awesomeness, be my guest. :D

In all seriousness, it does look cool, but completely unnecessary.

A honed Izhmash factory plug works for me. I only have to use setting 2 for Winchester Universal garbage anyway.

ymmv.

Yeah your right, it's so awesome I should buy 40 of them right now. :rolleyes:

My enthusiasm was a side effect of being liberal with some alcohol. I didn't say I wanted this thing and I didn't say I'd pay that much for it. I said it was a good idea.

You can't adjust the stock plug without a tool. That's not subjective, that's a fact. While it may be fine for you and your shooting style, it may not be satisfactory for others.

When I blast through 30 slugs and want to change it up to cheapo birdshot or vice versa, the gas plug can be a little hard to turn. Sometimes I even have to use a tool on one of those supposed "finger adjustable" gas plugs! I mean... wtf?! The horror! :P

Honestly my gun runs fine, "fancy" plug or no. If I have to use a tool to turn the damn plug anyway, it's not really all that much better.

This thing seemingly eliminates that "problem" by not using the threading as the adjustment surface. It's a good idea in theory. Whether or not it's successful, is another matter and I don't really want to spend my money to find out.

Edited by gkcf
  • Like 2

When I blast through 30 slugs and want to change it up to cheapo birdshot or vice versa, the gas plug can be a little hard to turn. Sometimes I even have to use a tool on one of those supposed "finger adjustable" gas plugs! I mean... wtf?! The horror! :P

Honestly my gun runs fine, "fancy" plug or no. If I have to use a tool to turn the damn plug anyway, it's not really all that much better.

Well, strictly speaking you don't necessarily need a tool - you need leverage. My solution to this:

Drill and tap your plug from the side, and thread a bolt into it with .5 - .75" sticking out. Cut a piece of a pen cap or get some other hard plastic tube to go around the bolt. You now have a little lever built into your plug to help turn it. When you need to remove the plug, unthread the lever and remove the plug as normal.

My gas fixer plug is usually on setting 2. I run the bolt down against the left side of the barrel (viewed while holding the gun normally). I can flick the lever up to position 3 for light loads, and the lever sticks out at an angle to the upper left. Those are the only two settings I ever use.

It has the nice side-effect of giving an easy visual indication of the setting of the plug, and the plastic acts as a nice insulator to prevent trying to handle a hot plug.

Mmmkay... So I guess nobody actually has one then, huh?:unsure:

I'm not so much trying to compare this to domestic plugs, ($120 is obviously more than $20) as figure out how this thing works and what it does differently. Surely one of our forum gurus has handled one of these.

Where's Cobra? Isn't it his life mission to own one of everything for Saiga 12?

For most of us on this forum, probably not simply because there are many other solutions available for much less.

However, there are few who strive to be completely authentic. Yet keep in mind that this also may affect 922r so there may be a legal drawback to using this as opposed to something that is domestically available.

Agreed.

My gun works so, personally, I don't see after market plugs as a fix for anything. I see them as more of an accessory. I just happen to like the idea behind this one. Not enough to drop $120 on it right now though.

I'm not so much trying to compare this to domestic plugs, ($120 is obviously more than $20) as figure out how this thing works and what it does differently. Surely one of our forum gurus has handled one of these.

Where's Cobra? Isn't it his life mission to own one of everything for Saiga 12?

:unsure:

I wouldn't exactly call it my "life's mission"....

Yeah I do collect things for the Saiga 12. I also do my best to share all the knowledge I can about each new Saiga item I've ever owned, with people here on this forum and others. In fact I saw them a few days ago and wanted to post those pics here too, but thought it might be frowned upon. If had one if these I would have already posted detailed pictures of it and a description of how it works. I think it's damn cool no matter how much it costs. Very cool design. I can't afford one right now though...not at that price. I do like that the Russians finally designed and developed something like this, and especially the fact that it came out of Tula instead of Izhmash. Wonder what other cool shit they are working on there for the Saiga? Some people prefer to have Russian parts on their guns over US parts, and price isn't an issue. I'm sure we will see one soon from someone here, like you said. I've paid $120 for an 8 rd mag before, but not a gas plug when my original factory plug works just fine. I have a couple of Gunfixr plugs if ever I want to experiment. Waiting on an Etach auto plug also, to see how that does....will report about it if it ever gets here.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Allright, I'll admit I may be silly but I really want one of these. My gun runs fine with a normal gas plug, but I often change loads while shooting, and after 100 or so rounds it becomes basically impossible to change with my fingers. I end up needing to use a small screwdriver as a lever to change the settings and that's a pain in the ass. I really do see the value of not needing a tool to change the gas volume on my Saiga.

That being said, unless someone comes back and tells me a domestic version of this is both in the works and will be released shortly, I'm going to order one and hope for the cost that it works as advertised.

• 4 weeks later...

I would recommend against buying this item. The first 100 or so rounds worked fine, then the plug began to malfunction after adjusting it to fire slugs then back to shot.

I'm sure it was set correctly, but it just stopped allowing gas through. By the end I could only fire slugs when the gas system was wide open and any other settings wouldn't even move the charging handle with 1600fps 1 oz slugs. 140 down the drain.

RIFLE SHOTGUN IS FINE

IMO fix the gas ports and gas block itself before worrying about gas plugs and springs.

I completely agree.

Oleg or what ever the hell his name is can go fly a kite.

I will stick with Mike.

Rock on with MD Arms VPlug :super:.

Buy some copper anti seize (high temp) and slather it on the threads of your plug. It will turn when you need to.

or

Buy a good folding tool like Leatherman and carry it with you on your belt (I do). Pop that sucker out and turn your gas plug.

Best

Frosty

Edited by Frosty

I will stick with Mike.

Rock on with MD Arms VPlug :super:

Best

Frosty

Not sure why Oleg needs to go take a hike, it's not like he designed the plug or sells them in bulk to make a profit. MikeD and Oleg have completely different business models...MikeD designs a few products, Oleg sells rare and hard to find Russian items. If you think somehow MikeD is a better vendor than RusMilitary you don't really understand what Oleg does.

Z

• Like 1

I would recommend against buying this item. The first 100 or so rounds worked fine, then the plug began to malfunction after adjusting it to fire slugs then back to shot.

I'm sure it was set correctly, but it just stopped allowing gas through. By the end I could only fire slugs when the gas system was wide open and any other settings wouldn't even move the charging handle with 1600fps 1 oz slugs. 140 down the drain.

That's disappointing to hear, are you sure you can't do any tinkering with it to get it work properly? I find it a little surprising that a Tula plug would be a dud but then again it wouldn't be the first time the Russians put out a vodka special.

Sorry about your luck on this :ded:

Z

I will stick with Mike.

Rock on with MD Arms VPlug :super:

Best

Frosty

Not sure why Oleg needs to go take a hike, it's not like he designed the plug or sells them in bulk to make a profit. MikeD and Oleg have completely different business models...MikeD designs a few products, Oleg sells rare and hard to find Russian items. If you think somehow MikeD is a better vendor than RusMilitary you don't really understand what Oleg does.

Z

I agree they are completely different business models.

I just think Oleg's asking price is to high. Its just that simple and thats just the way I look at it, that is all.

Best

Frosty