Homebuilt Muzzle Brake

I looked everywhere for a Krinkov muzzle break and it seems that they are a hot item because everywhere was sold out.

I've been thinking of short barrelling a Draco and I like the look of the larger type muzzle brake.

Somewhere on this site was a picture of one with a few dimensions on it, so I decided to try to make one as it didnt seem like that big of a deal to make, other than time.

Using some scrap 12L14 and some 316 stainless for the cone, it took me a couple of hours to make. I didnt have the proper knurling tool for the cap, so I just used what I had, but I dont think that it looks to bad.

My plan is to put some black plastic ribbed handguards on the Draco, maybe a folding ACE stock and a matching pistol grip.

I'm posting some pics because I want some opinions. Do you think that the knurl on this will be OK or do you think it'll look cheesy?

264.jpg?t=1291958039

263.jpg?t=1291958039

I'll finish it in black oxide to make it look right.

Edited by HotGuns
  • Like 1

I think it looks great.

Out of curiosity, do you have the diagrams and dimensions? How long does it make the barrel length overall the way this one sits?

I've been thinking of picking up a Draco to run as a rifle with a permanently attached muzzle brake so I'd need to make mine longer than this.

I'll build yall one...sometime in the future.

I started an LLC back in August to augment my retirement when I retire in 4 years...if our muslim president dosent mortally hose things up before then. Since then, I've been building all kinds of stuff and need to get some stuff off of my list before I start accepting other jobs. I've already quit taking orders.

I had no idea that my "hobby" would take off so fast.

And how exactly is this a brake? Just trying to understand, it looks like a straight piece of steel with no upward ventilation holes so that the gasses shot in a upward angle to produce a downward affect on the rifle... So it looks like you just lengthened the barrel......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muzzle_brake

It's designed after this Bulgarian Krinkov brake.

kr009b.jpg

The Bulgy brake/FH works like this, as I understand it.....

The internal cone section catches a large portion of the gas, while allowing the bullet to pass. Sorta like how a suppressor works, but it's not long enough to make much (if any) difference in quieting things down. It might contain some of the flash though. The redirected gas hits the front of the brake and tries to push the unit forward, along with the rest of the weapon. This is what's supposed to help counter some of the effect of recoil.

I know one thing about the brake. If you fire a short barelled rifle without one, it'll shoot fireballs that rival that of my two .50 BMGs. With the brake, the flash is really miminized,

This is why I was wondering if this thing is more of a flash hider then a break.....

I HAVE heard that it does indeed increase the back pressure. So I suspect it does prolong the impulse of the gas release, or "dwell time".

+1 on Corbin's post

I have seen Jim Fuller make comments on this muzzle device in various threads and websites.

I "believe" it increases back pressure more than any other - of the common OE muzzle devices.

I'm anxious to see if OP can/will test it out and maybe compare to his [very nice] creation to some other muzzle devices and post his impressions here.

Nice work either way.

Cheers, Harv

With a side folder you can keep a high capacity magazine in the rifle with the stock folded and tucked away. You can't really do the same with an underfolder, as it will hit the magazine and block it from folding and unfolding while the mag is inserted. Not really an issue if you don't keep the rifle loaded or ever plan on going from folded to open while shooting. Side folder has a more "tactical" advantage, in my opinion.

PS: Nice job on the krink flash hider. Looks great.

:2c:

Edited by KC913
  • Like 1