Project : evlblk-box-o-parts

After many issues, unnecessary expenses, delays and disappointments (thanks KVar :rolleyes: ).... I am ready to reassemble my evlblk-box-o-parts. I haven't quite got the trigger guard rivet and trunnion rivet situation figured out yet, but, as stubborn as I am.... I will find a way. This is where my long awaited project truly begins.

A box of parts ready to assemble....

post-22401-0-84392800-1292189406_thumb.jpg

ETA: I will cut, crown, and rethread the barrel at 18 1/8" before this thing goes back together. I may SBS it sooner or later if I can free-up the money. I have a Polychoke and a Russian 0/0 choke coming. Not sure which one I will use.

Edited by evlblkwpnz
  • Like 4

Nice, now get to it!:devil:

LOL! I'm in head scratching mode at the moment. Everything looks nice and I don't want to screw up when I rivet. I'll think about it for a few days and then get a move on.

Lookin' good buddy. Makes me wana start another one!

Funny thing is that I'm already wanting to do another and this one isn't even finished yet. Basically, the other Russian folder trunnion and a handguard will magically turn into another weapon :angel:

is it together yet? this is like a 1-2 day project at the most right? :haha:

I riveted the trigger guard and selector stop today. It looked good and the fixture that I made from an elevator rail worked perfect. Mission accomplished... the rivet heads are still round. I want the trunnion rivets to turn out perfect. Lacking a press or the appropriate riveting tools.... I called a professional. I boxxed the weapon up and sent it out to Tac47 to get rivets pressed. When it gets back, I expect to put another coat of paint on it and assemble. I may go ahead and shorten the barrel to 18 1/8" before reassembly if I don't decide to take the wife up on her offer of a SBS tax stamp for Christmas. Yeah, we are that type of family. It's all about the weapons....

Edited by evlblkwpnz

Without having the right equipment, sending things out for the rivits to be installed is probably the smartest move you ever made. You've got really good stuff for what's going to be a nice build up, now you know the rivit works going to be quality too and the rear trunion will be set properly. A+, it's going to be slick.

(or since the wife likes to play along you could have picked up a press and some jigs-you'll never run out of uses).:rolleyes:

Without having the right equipment, sending things out for the rivits to be installed is probably the smartest move you ever made. You've got really good stuff for what's going to be a nice build up, now you know the rivit works going to be quality too and the rear trunion will be set properly. A+, it's going to be slick.

(or since the wife likes to play along you could have picked up a press and some jigs-you'll never run out of uses).:rolleyes:

Money has been somewhat tight and there are so many other things that I want at the moment. I kind of see sending it out as a way to buy time. I plan to get a press and that trick AK Builder rivet tool sooner or later. I may take her up on that stamp. This is where my evl plan starts to come to fruition. I got her a SBR stamp and built her a Noveske barreled 12.5" AR.... it's my turn :angel:

I appreciate the comments on my build. I have went to sleep many nights thinking about it and spent many nights at my bench taking my time fitting the trunnion, and prepping the receiver. It should turn out pretty nice. I think taking that scope rail off was one of the better ideas I used on this one. It just looks so much cleaner without it. It has been apart for a couple months now and I am jonesing for a range trip....

I am confident that it is in good hands with Keith. TX-Zen referred me to him and I trust his recommendation. He has some nice weapons.

Edited by evlblkwpnz

Two stocks??? You don't need 2 stocks. I'll be a pal, and take that Russian sidefolder off your hands. :devil:

What good is Barbie with just one dress? They are both 5.5mm Russian stocks and they are my 'play dress up' kit, lol. I am keeping the second trunnion for the next build. Then the ladies can swap dresses at will.

It looks like you modified the gun to use a double hook trigger. Why? Also it looks like you did a great job on the machine work for the folding stock. I bet you could've done a very credible job on all the rivets yourself, not just the trigger guard. I think that cutting on the receiver is the scariest thing you can do. If the rivets look crappy they can always be removed and re-done.

It looks like you modified the gun to use a double hook trigger. Why? Also it looks like you did a great job on the machine work for the folding stock. I bet you could've done a very credible job on all the rivets yourself, not just the trigger guard. I think that cutting on the receiver is the scariest thing you can do. If the rivets look crappy they can always be removed and re-done.

All of that was done with a carbide cutter on a Dremel and hobby files. I have a machinist background, but do not have access to vert mills or lathes anymore. If I had a press and some stock, I would have certainly given it a shot. I have 4 sets of rivets, so there was some room for trial and error if I wanted to try it. I sent it off to Tac47 as a means of stopping myslef from buying a 12 or 20 ton press and the $250 AK Builder rivet tool, lol. Yes, I would be dangerous with the right tools and a well set up shop. Instead, I just sit at my bench and think "This sure would go a lot faster with a vert mill....".

Bad things is that the first trigger guard snapped from being overhardened. This caused me to be fearful of trying to straighten the second one out (the mag catch ears were bent inward). I stuck the rivet in the rear of the guard to locate the holes for the front tabs. The mag catch body was slightly misaligned from the factory. I thought it was square with the receiver and lined the trigger guard up with it and centered it in the receiver. After installing the trigger guard I noticed that it was slightly crooked. With holes already in the receiver, I wasn't going to go through having it welded again and start over. Most people wouldn't notice it, but I have that kind of eye. I am happy with it though. I have seen factory AKs with all kinds of stuff canted and crooked, so I suppose it will be acceptable. I learned from it.... don't buy the Bulgy trigger guards from KVar and break out the mic even though it looks perfect at first ;)

I bought two trigger guards from K-Var and was also surprised to find they were ridiculously hard. I broke one. The other I made into a credible (I think) representation of the factory trigger guard for the 12C. My duller files wouldn't cut it though.

Obviously a lot of patience in doing that work with a Dremel and files. I always think about it that if people in Pakistan can make guns from scrap steel, with files and a fire, I can do it too. Not always true, but that's my approach.

I bought two trigger guards from K-Var and was also surprised to find they were ridiculously hard. I broke one. The other I made into a credible (I think) representation of the factory trigger guard for the 12C. My duller files wouldn't cut it though.

Obviously a lot of patience in doing that work with a Dremel and files. I always think about it that if people in Pakistan can make guns from scrap steel, with files and a fire, I can do it too. Not always true, but that's my approach.

I know what you mean about 'ridiculously hard'. The trigger guard that broke did so the instant that I tried to apply outward pressure. It flew across the room and I thought "So much for Bulgy parts being so great." . The little bastards are super hard to file. If you take off a little material with a carbide cutter or a grinding wheel, a good sharp file will do it, but that outer surface is insanely hard. If the one I used breaks, I may just make one myself.

Edited by evlblkwpnz

I'm not sure why I went with the doublehook. I had one laying around and decided to use it. Well.... if one hook breaks.... I have a spare, lol!

• 1 month later...

Bump

Just wanted to get this thread back into my first 3 pages of content, so I don't have to hunt for it when I put this thing back together. It won't be long now gentlemen. I need one more part, cut and rethread the barrel, and paint. It should turn out OK. I'm dying for a range trip :cryss:

Bump

Just wanted to get this thread back into my first 3 pages of content, so I don't have to hunt for it when I put this thing back together. It won't be long now gentlemen. I need one more part, cut and rethread the barrel, and paint. It should turn out OK. I'm dying for a range trip :cryss:

WTF Tease.:lolol:

Bump

WTF Tease.:lolol:

Did we just create a new term.... the "teazer post"?

ETA: already exists....

Lookin Good!! :exciting:

Coming from you, that means a great deal to me. Thank you.

It's no Krink 12 though.... :angel:

Edited by evlblkwpnz
  • 3 weeks later...

I ended up needing to switch the trigger guard out and refinish the receiver. The paint turned out a little nicer texture that the last time, so I'm glad it happened the way it did. It was pretty warm today for this time of year. I will let this cure for a week and assemble.

post-22401-0-59548200-1299468826_thumb.jpgpost-22401-0-68966000-1299468835_thumb.jpgpost-22401-0-33797700-1299468843_thumb.jpgpost-22401-0-95629900-1299468853_thumb.jpgpost-22401-0-43293000-1299468863_thumb.jpgpost-22401-0-81452100-1299468871_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I ended up needing to switch the trigger guard out and refinish the receiver. The paint turned out a little nicer texture that the last time, so I'm glad it happened the way it did. It was pretty warm today for this time of year. I will let this cure for a week and assemble.

What type of paint did you use? It looks great...

What type of paint did you use? It looks great...

Rustoleum Professional High Performance Enamel (semi-gloss). Hold the can back about 2 feet to get the textured look. I did a thin coat that barely convered and another thin coat after 45 minutes. Boith were from afar. Thank you for the compliment.

Damn, that looks like fun! :super:

It was a nerve racking PITA. It is really hard to just start cutting and grinding on your favorite weapon. I did all of the fitting by eye and only used measurements for the front latch. I learned a great deal about how the Russians just let shit fly and I think most of their building is by the seat of the pants with few jigs.

TAC47 pressed the rivets for me and did a great job on it. Not many business members here will do piece work.

Thank you Keith.

Edited by evlblkwpnz

Do you think heating the trigger guards would kill the temper they have?

The one that I installed on the weapon got broken fairly easily due to the brittle condition of it. I am using a different trigger guard now.