Problems cycling in extreme cold???

i just recently finished the conversion on my saiga and took it out to the range for a test run only to find that nearly every shot jammed up as it ejected the spent cartridge. pre- conversion it had no problems at all, even the walmart bulk pack stuff cycled through without to many issues.

a gunsmith friend of mine suggested that it may have been due to the extreme temperature ( about 10 degrees ) outside and having a cold gun. anyone else ever run into this issue?

im pretty sure it was not b/c of the cold. Ive never heard of a gun not cycling b/c of the cold, (unless its frozen up.) Alot of people have problems after conversion. Its usually due to the trigger group being moved forward causing more drag on the carrier one way or another. You should make sure your hammer is correctly reprofiled, its most likely the cause.

im pretty sure it was not b/c of the cold. Ive never heard of a gun not cycling b/c of the cold, (unless its frozen up.) Alot of people have problems after conversion. Its usually due to the trigger group being moved forward causing more drag on the carrier one way or another. You should make sure your hammer is correctly reprofiled, its most likely the cause.

ETA, Did you add a bunch of stuff to the gun during conversion?? certain items have been known to cause cycling issues mainly the UTG quad rail and i think a few others but i dont know what. You should make sure it is back to stock config. befor doing anything else(aside from conversion parts)

ETA, OOPS!!! qouted myself.

Edited by big-J

Actually, cold COULD be a problem depending on what type of lube you used the last time you lubed the weapon.

I don't do a lot of cold-weather shooting (due to my location) but I've heard of problems with AR-15s and other semi-autos in the extreme cold of the mountains of Colorado where I have some family.

I'll ask them what lube or grease they use when they lube up their weapons...

• Like 1

I used to run mine while living in Upstate NY in all temperatures, even below zero, and froze rusted up shells and the gun for a couple hours outside just to prove it would work. cant find my thread about it now on here, was too long ago, and doesnt come up with the board search engine (maybe google it). cold is ZERO issue with this gun

the number one thing that seems to happen with many of the first time converted guns is the hammer profile was not done properly. compare the hammer you put in with the hammer you took out. make sure the profile matches. that would be the first thing Id check.

• Like 1

ETA, Did you add a bunch of stuff to the gun during conversion?? certain items have been known to cause cycling issues mainly the UTG quad rail and i think a few others but i dont know what. You should make sure it is back to stock config. befor doing anything else(aside from conversion parts)

ETA, OOPS!!! qouted myself.

Thas funny :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: