Which Pistol Grip for Saiga 12 Conversion?

First, I just ordered a Saiga 12 not converted (hence why I just joined this great forum) and I am going to do the conversion myself and I have watched several videos on the conversion and for the most part, it looks pretty easy, just time consuming (well at least for me, I fully intend to take my time and do everything right). Anyway, I have spent some time reading through the forum and was surprised that no one has asked a question like this entirely...

I am wondering what the BEST way to install a pistol grip on a Saiga 12, one that will be durable and that I can trust holding it by just the pistol grip (not shooting, just say pointed at the ground).

But I see a couple of options and obviously it's easier just to drill out the 3 rivets and install a trigger gaurd with a bolt on, say like this one...

http://store.carolin...er-Guard/Detail

But is is as strong as cutting out a rectangle in the reciever and using this instead?

http://store.carolin...K47-Grip/Detail

Edited by acorn1754

@dbrunette First, I appreciate the response and want to ask how you are attaching this to the reciever, are you cutting out the reciever for the grip nut or are you using a trigger gaurd that can be screwed into place using the existing holes that are drilled out?

@AZG Thanks for the template, will be invaluable if I decide to go that route!

@bc5000 Thanks for the heads up on that and I will contact Cobra on that trigger gaurd.

Edited by acorn1754

And how you are attaching this to the reciever, are you cutting out the reciever or are you using a trigger gaurd that can be screwed into place using the existing holes that are drilled out?

I did both. RAM S12 "bolt-on" guard, MD Molot grip.

I took the RAM guard and cut off the back section of it (the PG mount section) and cut out a PG nut hole in the receiver.

However before i cut the PG nut hole in the receiver and before i cut the part off the guard, i mounted the guard and drilled a hole into the receiver through the PG screw hole in the trigger guard. I then took an assortment of files and by hand, opened up that drilled hole until a PG nut fit into it nice and tight and square with the receiver and guard.

EDIT: I think that trigger guard pictured above requires being riveted in place, so its a little more work involved then average.

Edited by Mullet Man
  • Like 2

I did the do it yourself trgger gaurd kit . I beleive there is no nut involved it screws into the gaurd asembly and the assembly screws through the bottom of the receiver to tighten up to the gaurd. Super easy installation. Stirdy mount. The MD pistol grip fits nice but I like the comfort of the rubber overlayed grip better. I think it helps lesson the felt recoil on the hand. Thanx

I took the RAM guard and cut off the back section of it (the PG mount section) and cut out a PG nut hole in the receiver.

However before i cut the PG nut hole in the receiver and before i cut the part off the guard, i mounted the guard and drilled a hole into the receiver through the PG screw hole in the trigger guard. I then took an assortment of files and by hand, opened up that drilled hole until a PG nut fit into it nice and tight and square with the receiver and guard.

Thats exactly what I did. good grip for my gorilla hands.

In my opinion this is the best looking and most authentic trigger guard available.

011.jpg

You can get it from Cobra76. He's got a lot of pics down on his forum. My grip feels really solid with it.

I like it too but not all of the PG Saiga's have a trigger guard like that. It looks great and is close to what many of the Saiga's have but there are a few models like the version 030 that have a plain trigger guard instead.

As for PG's I like the fat Izzy grip myself. It's a little sturdier in the hand on a 12 gauge

S12MagWell_010.JPG

Z

• Like 1

Acorn, I personally have the Hogue Monogrip Pistol Grip. Its rubber overmolded so its soft and the most comfortable to shoot with IMO. You can pick it up at Mississippi Auto Arms for $23.95 +Tax. Im fixin to get one for my Saiga .223 aswell.

what he said, I've tried the hard plastic ergo, SAW, and traditional AK grips, and I love the Hogue Grips best. I have one on my AKM, DRACO, and SAIGA12.

• Like 2

Cutting a pistol grip hole and using a pistol grip nut through the receiver will give you a much more secure grip than just using a bolt-on trigger guard that includes a grip nut. Definitely the way to go.

And +1 on the RAM S12TG. It's about the best looking trigger guard without using rivets. I am also going to be switching to this trigger guard as soon as I get around to ordering it. And I too will be cutting off the pistol grip section of it. Too bad they don't make another variation that doesn't include the grip mount. 2 minutes with a Dremel will get it there, though.

s12tg_8.jpg

And I prefer the MD Arms Molot grip as well.

Edited by KC913

And how you are attaching this to the reciever, are you cutting out the reciever or are you using a trigger gaurd that can be screwed into place using the existing holes that are drilled out?

EDIT: I think that trigger guard pictured above requires being riveted in place, so its a little more work involved then average.

The kit comes with your choice of rivets or screws. I chose screws, they kind of resemble rivets anyway.

Hogue is my choice also. Try one out and you will want more, if you are like me. I got one for a mossburg and it has a soft section at the top for recoil, really nice. I wish they had one like this for the saiga. Has anyone else seen what I am talking about?

I went with the Hogue grip also. It is very, very comfortable and if you go with the Carolina Shooters Supply milled Billet trigger guard it turns out rock solid. I cannot comment on the other grips and guards, because I have not tried them, but I am extremely happy with this combination.

I appreciate all of the responses! But after reading what a lot of people have said, I am leaning towards using a drill, dremel and files to cut out the slot for the pistol grip nut and doing the most sturdy mount. Plus it'll save me some $ as I'll just re-use the trigger gaurd and drill out new holes and rivet it back into place. From what I've read, rivets seem to be the most authentic looking way to go and I already have a rivet tool kicking around for another project that I had worked on previously. It's amazing to me how many different variations there are just for how to attach the pistol grip. Now to decide on a stock, whether or not I want it to be folding, what forearm grips I should get, etc, etc, etc. But that's definitely a entirely different conversation for a different thread! Again, I appreciate all of you for being so helpful!

I am using a Bulgarian trigger guard and Bulgarian rivets. It is actually pretty easy to rivet the guard on. I'm not very happy with the trigger guard. I bought two of them from KVar and one was ultra brittle and broke while trying to straighten it (both came twisted to the right). I have an AK? Builder trigger guard for my next conversion. I see no reason to use anything other than the Molot grip as it just feels like perfection in my hand.

Edited by evlblkwpnz

Got the RAM S12TG put on tonight after dremeling the pistol grip mount section off. Best looking trigger guard for the S12 without using the authentic one.

**HOWEVER. The trigger guard didnt come with a screw pre-installed on the front portion to use a nut inside of the receiver like it shows in the pic on the website for a flatter surface.

gallery_7122_472_38503.jpg

Edited by KC913

Got the RAM S12TG put on tonight after dremeling the pistol grip mount section off. Best looking trigger guard for the S12 without using the authentic one.

**HOWEVER. The trigger guard didnt come with a screw pre-installed on the front portion to use a nut inside of the receiver like it shows in the pic on the website for a flatter surface.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/uploads/gallery/1296176597/gallery_7122_472_38503.jpg

Weird, guess they "updated" them. Is it just an allen screw in thru the reciever now? Looks good tho.

I'm glad I checked this thread as I'm about to convert my 12 also. I also bought the RAM S12 guard and was just planning on bolting it up and seeing if I was happy with how secure it was. I like your idea about using the RAM guard as a guide for the drill bit. How about this though..... drill the hole' date=' open it up for a standard PG nut, but don't cut off the guard? You would probably have to grind the PG nut down some to fit under the guard extension but that shouldn't be too difficult. That way you would have the nut and the full length guard also. Am I missing something or would this be a good setup? Overkill, maybe.[/quote']

I guess you could do it that way if you wanted to go thru all the extra work.

Weird, guess they "updated" them. Is it just an allen screw in thru the reciever now? Looks good tho.

Yeah, it comes with allen screws but I switch them with phillips / flat head screws cut down to shorter length for easier removal as the tiny allen heads tend to strip very easily from my experience.

And yes, it would be more work for nothing to keep the PG section and file a pg nut down to fit inside of it.

gallery_7122_472_38503.jpg

What kind of paint did you use to fill in the S and F for the safety? and the Saiga-12?

Edited by Nick89