Opinions on which 9mm for ccw

I planned to get a saiga 12 but with the price going through the roof I've decided to hold off and go with a compact 9mm and get my ccw license. The 9mm will mostly be for a summer carry when I can't conceal or dont want to carry a full size 1911. I am leaning towards a taurus 709 for its size, manual saftey, and decent trigger. My budget is around $500. Any suggestions or opinions on the 709?

Edited by roachtron

One of the several handguns I carry is a Taurus PT-709. Nice size, compact, single stack. I was a bit hesitant at first, but glad I purchased it and I did not have to break the bank. I think the price was around $360. I have seen them as low as $330. The only thing I added was one of the small Pachmayer #3 slip-on grips.

However, it was a bit frustrating finding a holster since no one was making them specific for the PT-709. Maybe some one does now. But I found the holsters made for the Sig P229 fit like a glove. And since the P229 is such a common handgun, I was able to find a couple different choices of holsters depending on how I want to carry.

I planned to get a saiga 12 but with the price going through the roof I've decided to hold off and go with a compact 9mm and get my ccw license. The 9mm will mostly be for a summer carry when I can't conceal or dont want to carry a full size 1911. I am leaning towards a taurus 709 for its size, manual saftey, and decent trigger. My budget is around $500. Any suggestions or opinions on the 709?

I understand the question. You want suggestions on any compact 9mm, or opinions on the Taurus 709. I would suggest the Kahr cw9.

• Like 1

Taurus semi guns are pretty......pretty useless IMO, out of the 3 (my friends) that I put my hands on regularly, none of them have run through 5 mags without a major glitch. If you want the AK of the pistol world buy a Glock and be done with it. If you hate Glocks then the Rohrbaugh 9mm single stack is unbeatable. Expensive but incredibly reliable. Hell, I'd even take one of Kel-Tecs mini mes over a Taurus.

• Like 1

Taurus semi guns are pretty......pretty useless IMO, out of the 3 (my friends) that I put my hands on regularly, none of them have run through 5 mags without a major glitch. If you want the AK of the pistol world buy a Glock and be done with it. If you hate Glocks then the Rohrbaugh 9mm single stack is unbeatable. Expensive but incredibly reliable. Hell, I'd even take one of Kel-Tecs mini mes over a Taurus.

+1

My votes are:

Glock 26 or 19

I've been hearing good things about the Ruger SR9c, too. But no personal experience with them.

• Like 2

I understand the question. You want suggestions on any compact 9mm, or opinions on the Taurus 709. I would suggest the Kahr cw9.

I've got a kahr cw9 very light and comfortable to shoot and paid 369.00 free shipping and handling and a 20$ transfer so far very happy with it carry it all day and hardly notice it there.

I also carry the Kahr daily as a backup and willingly trust my life with it

First I just want to say i am open to any suggestions I know theres alot out there. I can't hold anything against taurus i have 1000 rounds through my 1911 with no problems but then again it is a desgn that was copied. I've rented a glock 19, liked the trigger and I shot very well with it right off the bat. It just didn't seem to fit that well in my hand the grip angle was off. The kahr does sound like a good option at $369 and most people I talk to suggest an xd. Theres just to many choices out there to make up my mind. Maybe I will just have to head to my range and rent a few and see how they shoot and feel. I think they have the kahr, xd, and the m&p,

• Like 1

I bought a 2011 personal and home defence mag a few weeks ago and have some good sizing info

kahr cw9mm

15.80 Oz

3.50 length

7rnd capacity

s&w m&p 9mm

25.20oz

7.50 length

17rnds capacity

Springfield xdm 9mm

31.00 oz

7.80 length

19/16 capacity

this might give you a better idea of what you might be toting around as for the karh if you are interested pm me I'll send you the info where to get it

I bought a 2011 personal and home defence mag a few weeks ago and have some good sizing info

kahr cw9mm

15.80 Oz

3.50 length

7rnd capacity

s&w m&p 9mm

25.20oz

7.50 length

17rnds capacity

Springfield xdm 9mm

31.00 oz

7.80 length

19/16 capacity

this might give you a better idea of what you might be toting around as for the karh if you are interested pm me I'll send you the info where to get it

I have a XD9SC, it shoots well and is easy to carry. It holds a good amount of rounds for a small pistol. Have a Cross Breed Supertuck for it that also fits my XD45. Carry it more in a Mr. Softy appendix though. Tried a G26 and just felt more comfortable with the XD...personal choice, the Glock is a hell of a pistol.

For deep conceal I carry an MK9 in a Mr. Softy appendix...there's no way to notice I have it on. Got it used and to the door for $505. It is very easy to run for such a small gun.

MK9me.jpg

A buddy of mine picked up a Kel Tec PF9. It's finish is rough but shoots great, kind of surprised me.

There's a ton of quality small 9's out there now. Go to a range a try a few out if you can. Enjoy the hunt.

Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal. Sounds like whoever has all those Taurus malfunctions needs to learn

to clean their guns, or not limp dick them, or something.

Of the 5 Tauruses I have shot, I have only had one malfunction that wasn't caused by

shitty ammo, ie, a stovepipe, and that was the first round through my pt-740 and the slide

did not return 100% into battery. Since then, perfect.

Are they the best in the world? Of course not. Are they shit that I wouldn't trust my life to?

Of course not, as well. With proper care, cleaning and ammo, I would put the chances of a Taurus

failing to work right at really small.

I am surprised at the snobbery in this thread....seems like some people ought to move to the Benelli

forums.

Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal. Sounds like whoever has all those Taurus malfunctions needs to learn

to clean their guns, or not limp dick them, or something.

Of the 5 Tauruses I have shot, I have only had one malfunction that wasn't caused by

shitty ammo, ie, a stovepipe, and that was the first round through my pt-740 and the slide

did not return 100% into battery. Since then, perfect.

Are they the best in the world? Of course not. Are they shit that I wouldn't trust my life to?

Of course not, as well. With proper care, cleaning and ammo, I would put the chances of a Taurus

failing to work right at really small.

I am surprised at the snobbery in this thread....seems like some people ought to move to the Benelli

forums.

I suppose that was aimed at me, since I was one of the first one to shit on Taurus. I like there revolvers, as stated I don't like there semi-autos. I don't use shit ammo (except in my Glocks and AK), limp wristing has never, ever, ever, ever (I can keep going) EVER been an issue for me....so that's out. Proper care of the three weapons I've discussed was done by a motivated retired Marine with 5 tours under his belt in the middle east in combat units, he cleans his shit and he does it well. The "something" happens to be at the factory level, where things just never seem to line up for Taurus. Put together guy #28 is better at his job then put together guy #53, so some come out kicking ass and some suck. If I was in to general snobbery I wouldn't suggest a cheaper alternative to the OP by stating that I'd take a Kel-Tec (NOT A FAN OF THERE PISTOLS FOR THE RECORD) 9mm pocket pistol over a Taurus.

I had 2 Taurus handguns. A PT111 and a PT145. Never had a problem. Maybe its just a roll of the dice but I can only go by my experiance.

You can get the M&Pc (compact). Holds 12+1 smaller and lighter then the full size. I have the full size 9 and .45. Love em both.

Daily carry I use the Kahr CW9. very comfortable for all day carry even with a cheesy Uncle Mikes IWB holster and an old worn generic belt from walmart. I'd like to get the PM9 but they are too expancive.

As far as your options for light carry auto 9mm and up

-KAHR cw9, 40, 45 (the higher the caliber the less rounds it holds) pm9, 40, 45 (more expansive)

-Keltec PF9 single stack or P11 double stack 10+1

-Walther PPS 9, 40

-Ruger (forget name) 9mm. Basically a refined Keltec

-Taurus 709 Slim 9mm

-Kimber Solo 9mm. Do out soon (Not a 1911) priced about same as Kahr pm

2011-02-19_08-12-32_967.jpg

have a taurus pt 140 millenium pro, friend had an older version in 9mm. Both are extremely reliable, I can't remember ever getting the thing to fail ever with a variety of ammo, friend had the same deal.. I like the weight, size, and capacity. Also I really like the grips.

What I will say is I hate the taurus figure 8 sight (line up the two dots to make an 8) and I am EXTREMELY innacurate with it. Consistently shoot very low. Basically the gun doesn't suit me.. maybe it's the sights, other people seem to be able to shoot it, it just doesn't agree with me.

Can't say enough about it's reliability though

I picked up a Kahr CW40 because it felt real light and concealable. But when I took it out to put a hundred rounds through it, the slide locked back nearly every shot, at best it fed correctly maybe 4 times. I broke it down, cleaned it again and tried another 50 rounds, same problems. Afterward I found there was a I just cannot recommend the CW line. I got some pics somewhere, I'll attach em if i can find em.

Realistically every gun manufacturer is going to make lemons. Some more then others, but they all make them. Your best solution is find the one that suitable to your needs and see if you can test it to make sure you like it. Afterwards if you happen to have a problem contact the manufacturer they'll fix it.

Just remember its a product made by men on menmade machines. Failure is bound to happen.

Well I went to a somewhat local gunshop today and checked out the taurus, xd subcompact, and the m&p 9c. I walked out with the m&p 9c at $499 + tax. The m&p just felt the best in my hand, closer to my 1911. Plus it has the manual saftey which I am hopeing I can place my thumb ontop of like I do my 1911. The trigger has a little crunch in the take up but it breaks pretty clean, it should get better as it wears in. I just finished the first takedown and cleaning. I will be taking it to the range today. I will get up some pics and a range report up soon. The best part is I think I found a gunshop that doesn't overcharge to much, they also had the bi-tone xd for $499 and they have a huge selection. I serouisly got a quote of $654 on the xd from one shop.:lolol:

Edited by roachtron

$499 is an average price for them. You did well. The 9c is my next purchase. If your trigger doesn't get better you can go to Apex tactical and order one of their kits. I have it on my. 45 and its a night/day difference.

Also....you can get pretty cheap factory mags from gregcotellc.com. The full size mags will fit also but they do stick out.

Edited by Arik