New to the forum, just did a ton of work on my Saiga 12

I've been lurking here for awhile after buying my 12 and decided it was time to say hello!

I did the PG/FCG mod as soon as I go the shotgun and fired it for the first time this last weekend. As I had feard the gun didn't cycle a single time shooting 2 3/4 sport loads.

I did some research (in large part from this forum) and tonight I did some work to try to fix it. I had already emailed Cadiz and they agreed to work on it although I had already done the conversion, but I am horribly impatient and preetty good with firearms so I took a crack at it.

I disassembled and filed/polished the hammer face, entire bolt, most of the bolt carrier and the inside of the carrier where the spring sets. I also filed the lips here to ensure the spring didn't have any resistance there during cycling. Pretty much everywhere metal touches metal got some attention. I took the carrier to steel the entire length that goes into the receiver and used a small square file to work the bolt where it rides the receiver rails. I filed the hammer face to a curve to get ride of the hard angles and was careful to maintain a flat middle to strike the firing pin. I also filed the bottom of the bolt where it rides against the hammer to ease movement.

I didn't have a decent polishing wheel or a dremel, so when I say "polish" I mean I sanded it to steel and then wire-wheeled it to a smooth finish.

THEN I started in on the gas block. It was actually pretty easy to disassemble, but I was glad I did my research. Of the 3 holes present (all were fully visible before disassembly) one was obstructed with gunk. I cleaned it out and measured the holes. They were all smaller than the .093 they were supposed to me, so I drilled each out with a 3/32 bit and filed the insides smooth with a small round file.

Once back together the action is VERY smooth. I feel good about it. Instead of just using Rem Oil like I normally do I treated the receiver rails to some lithium grease as well.

Hoping all this does the trick, I shoot again this Friday. If not my next step is an adjustable gas block plug and to actually polish the parts I did tonight to a glass-like surface. If that doesn't do the trick I may go a little bigger on the ports, but I really don't want to take all that apart again. All this will take place after a longer break in session shooting 3 in. shells though.

So thanks to everyone here who has posted on the subject, more than likely I read your thread and gleaned some knowledge from it. Looking forward to sharing some gun knowledge, thanks!

• Like 11

Thank you for not needing or demanding to be spoon-fed! Reading and searching are your best tools as the vast majority of information is already out there.

There are some forums where if the same question has ever been asked and answered before, you are automatically banned, end of story. Members here are lucky in that regard.

Thank you for not needing or demanding to be spoon-fed! Reading and searching are your best tools as the vast majority of information is already out there.

There are some forums where if the same question has ever been asked and answered before, you are automatically banned, end of story. Members here are lucky in that regard.

+1. You didn't do what I, and endless other users did/do. :]

I had to give you your first +1 on you rep (lower right corner of your post) for having the ability to read and do it on your own and not asking the same questions almost every FNG on here has, I think you will go far and fit right in with us. I wish all the FNG's were this able most of the FNG's in the last 2 months all bought saigas because they heard about the possible ban and then paid $750 for a S-12 and took it home and when they went shooting and it had problems found us and asked "Why doesn't my $750 shotgun work?? I shouldn't have to fix anything for that kind of money" but I don't see us having that problem with you.:super:

Edited by SCHULTZE
  • Like 1

+1. You didn't do what I, and endless other users did/do. :]

Congratulations on your extra effort and persistence as it makes the forum flow much more smoothly, and without controversy by lazier people.

Thanks all, really appreciate it.

I had been eying a Saiga 12 for awhile, but I'll be honest the ATF Shotgun Import Report that came out a few months ago really got me off my ass. Luckily I was able to get mine from Centerfire for just over $500 before they dried up.

Anyway here's a few pics. I used the carolinashootersupply kit with an upgraded grip. The quad rail is a UTG from www.milsurpstuff.com. I don't have immediate plans for optics, but I am considering adding the Eotech clone that is on my AR now and getting something better for the rifle.

saiga_right_2.jpg

saiga_right.jpg

Edited by projo198
  • Like 1

Congrats on the upfront research, you get points for that. I hope you fixed your problem and not made it worse. However, I'm afraid you lose points for the multicolored stock and pistol grip.

GL.

The upgrade was an option upon check out from carolinashooters and both are olive drab, I didn't know they would not match until I got it.

Wait you are not suposed to do your own research and do every thing with the information that this site provides you. your supposed to reask the same questions over and over again so no one will help you cause they are tired of the same thread. O wait nm that's what you are not supposed to do so you are awarded extra points and good job. nice looking build :)

No, no, no, OP. You're suppose to say you just got an S12, even though you KNOW the ATF has banned them and is coming door to door to confiscate them. Plus, you verified that by checking with local gun shops. Plus, you're suppose to ask us why you are getting ejection problems, how to convert the gun, and how to polish the bolt. You're also suppose to inform us that you already tried the search feature and it didn't work. You couldn't find anything!

Oh, and you're suppose to be wondering why not all ammo fits in the MD20 drum!

Sloppy OP, sloppy.

Nice job guy.

Good to see the results of your research and decision making. Kudos to you for doing something without asking a million questions every step of the way.

+1 on OD never matching. The K-Var furniture I just installed on wife's rifle is all a little different, so is the Hogue grip and the ((10)) mags.

Oh, and you're suppose to be wondering why not all ammo fits in the MD20 drum!

I'd still like to know why that was in the design.

It's cause God hates you.

+1 OP, Reading it does a Saiga good.:devil:

Thanks guys.

I decided to go ahead and polish the receiver rails tonight as well. That was the last thing I could think to do before testing her out. I also hand cycle the action a bunch everytime I go downstairs for a smoke or whatever. I'll post the results Friday!

Just noticed that you have the UTG quad rail with rubber handguards. If you still experience FTE's after all the work you did, remove the rubber guards and possibly the entire rail and put back to stock. I had this same issue with mine. Ended up taking the rail off because I kept getting FTE with birdshot. Stock handguard back on and works perfectly. Just a heads up.

Just noticed that you have the UTG quad rail with rubber handguards. If you still experience FTE's after all the work you did, remove the rubber guards and possibly the entire rail and put back to stock. I had this same issue with mine. Ended up taking the rail off because I kept getting FTE with birdshot. Stock handguard back on and works perfectly. Just a heads up.

Strange, not the first time I have heard this. I really can't figure out how it would make a difference except for the fact that the original partially blocks the vent on the gas block that vents puc.

I'll give it a shot, thanks!

OK, shot yesterday and overall very happy with the results.

I started out with Winchester 2 3/4 8 shot loads. The shotgun did much better but still had a FTE about one out of every 5 rounds.

I then switched to Federal 2 3/4 7.5 shot loads. The gun did amazing, no problems at all.

After that I switched to gas setting "1 "and tried Federal 3 inch slugs, which this gun LOVES. No problem at all.

Finally I tried Remington 2 3/4 8 shot. Better than the Winchester but still had the occasional FTE.

I shot about 100 rds through the gun yesterday of varying brands and the longer I shot the better it got, so I'm pretty sure I am just in the break-in phase now and I am pretty confident the Saiga will shoot about anything I put in it soon enough.

Thanks!