So, I don't have a real, heavy-duty chest rig and am thinking that it's time to finally get one. I have been looking at the Russian stuff recently and there are a lot of choices. I want something which holds at least 6 Kalash mags, a knife and a pistol.

I want some input from people with any experience with these vests. How's the quality, how do they compare to the Western counter-parts, what are the advantages and disadvantages, etc? Any info or opinion will be appreciated.

Honestly Id rather have the pistol on my leg or hip. Why have it on the chest? I dunno, just prefer other pockets up there.

I think the idea is so that the pistol is easily attainable...I couldn't tell you personally...but I guess with a rig drawing from the hip is more difficult?

Picked up a Polish Pantera KT-12 (new model # if searching) in 94 while in old Yugo. Still see them, or upgraded models from time to time. Holds 8 AK, 2 side pouches (use 1 for gas mask, other for 2 tear gas cannisters), 2 pistol mag horizontal below ak pouches, molle webbing every where. Everything top notch on quality/ruggedness, do like the overpadded shoulders. :smoke: Noticed that a lot of the newer models don't have all the molle webbing or pistol mag pouches.

Edited by Ruffian72

Honestly Id rather have the pistol on my leg or hip. Why have it on the chest? I dunno, just prefer other pockets up there.

I think the idea is so that the pistol is easily attainable...I couldn't tell you personally...but I guess with a rig drawing from the hip is more difficult?

I realy have no personal experience either. Just my first instinct seems like id prefer my mags in the chest rig.

Id love to hear some opinion too though if anyone has experience with them.

Not really experienced with Combloc rigs but like stated above, I'd rather have the pistol on my first line (belt mounted) in case I have to ditch the second line (vest) for some reason. If you are dead set on having it on the vest, that Polish one with all the MOLLE webbing sounds like a good candidate as you can get different adapters to mount a holster at whatever angle you desire. When you see our troops mounting their pistol on the vest, it's because they are inside a vehicle more than being dismounted. It's not ergonomic to transition from your primary to secondary weapon from a vest mounted holster BTW.

By the way, a good source for all kind of Russian equipment is a site called Soviet Propaganda. They are based in Moscow, but their site is in English and they cater to Western customers. I've ordered a Russian marine AK sling and a couple of other things from them in the past and had no problems.

I am also thinking about getting a Gorka mountain suit and a 60 liter rucksack. I am looking for any info on those too. Gorkas have always looked cool as hell to me.

By the way, a good source for all kind of Russian equipment is a site called Soviet Propaganda. They are based in Moscow, but their site is in English and they cater to Western customers. I've ordered a Russian marine AK sling and a couple of other things from them in the past and had no problems.

I am also thinking about getting a Gorka mountain suit and a 60 liter rucksack. I am looking for any info on those too. Gorkas have always looked cool as hell to me.

Nice Vodka flasks too :up: