Should I mod my gas block internally? Picture inside.

I've had this thread saved for some time now, ( http://forum.saiga-1...cked-gas-ports/ )but never went back to it because my gun cycles on setting 4 ( of V-plug ) and not 5 for low brass. But upon closer inspection I seen that the "D" cut slot that is cut internally ( where the gas ports are ) seems to be partially covering one of my ports.

My ports measured in at .08 ( 2/25 right? ) None the less, look at the picture ( hard to see, but its the left port as you are looking at it ) see if you think I should mod it..

2mer43q.jpg

Also, Id rather not do it, but if it is going to help then Im game. I would just have to remove the chaos rail.

Edited by MrOneEyedBoh

If you can cycle low brass on setting 4. What do you intend to gain by modifying it?

-Jim

+1

Your gun is NOT undergassed.

Unless you like dong the work, what do you have to gain???

From the picture it looks like your GB isnt aligned properly. Could be the pic or my eyes. Have you had the GB off befor? Maybe you didnt put it on completely straight? I did the same thing, I would consider that first. Then if your not satisfied with the function of your weapon, go for it. The factory spec. is .093 on the ports, so technically its out of spec. Things like that get to me, I would open them up if i wasnt satisfied but thats just me.

I opened my ports and still wasnt satisfied so I added a forth smaller port. Its your gun do what you want and dont worry about what people say. Your not going to be severly overgassed by modding the GB so it wont hurt but you may also not gain from it.

Edited by big-J

From the picture it looks like your GB isnt aligned properly. Could be the pic or my eyes. Have you had the GB off befor? Maybe you didnt put it on completely straight? I did the same thing, I would consider that first. Then if your not satisfied with the function of your weapon, go for it. The factory spec. is .093 on the ports, so technically its out of spec. Things like that get to me, I would open them up if i wasnt satisfied but thats just me.

I opened my ports and still wasnt satisfied so I added a forth smaller port. Its your gun do what you want and dont worry about what people say. Your not going to be severly overgassed by modding the GB so it wont hurt but you may also not gain from it.

The ports most likely aren't drilled directly in the middle of the barrel. Mine werent.

You can't install the gas-block canted. To install the pins, it has to be aligned correctly, or the pins won't go in.

Not completely true. My gas block was canted a HUGE amount when I got the gun. I was going to remove the pins, straighten the block and then redrill the holes. The slots in the barrel were so big I didnt need to drill anything. This later turned out to be a huge problem as those oversized sloppy grooves were allowing my gas block to leak all over the place and cause my gun to work great one day and FTE like crazy the next. It took me forever to figure it out. Oh, the gas block would also twist and move around under recoil. I ended up putting a set screw in to fix that. Later I just made a new gas block and it has fixed all my problems, if it holds up ).

Also, Id rather not do it, but if it is going to help then Im game. I would just have to remove the chaos rail.

Its a ton more work removing the gas block than that. Taking off your rail would be trivial.

One thing I've learned over my few years of at home gunsmithing: If it ain't broke, whatever you do, don't fix it. I can't tell you how much heartache / money I've spent because I thought I could get something a little bit better that really already worked just fine.

My advise is that if it already works well on low brass the only thing you can do by modifying it, is to make it worse.

-Jim

I have never had the gas block off. So either it is canted, but like it was said.. I dont think so, because of the pin groove that must be lined up for the GB to go back on. or the holes are drilled off center. But in the link I posted, people are filing the D notch to work for the gas ports.

I have never had the gas block off. So either it is canted, but like it was said.. I dont think so, because of the pin groove that must be lined up for the GB to go back on. or the holes are drilled off center. But in the link I posted, people are filing the D notch to work for the gas ports.

Take the gas block off and drill out the hole that covers the ports. You will see how they drill through the one side under the barrel into the other to drill the gas block hole. If it cycles well now, it will only improve with increased gas flow. While you are at it, open those ports as well :super: It takes about a half hour if that.

If you do decide to remove your gas block, check this out. I've removed my gas block twice and my cousin's twice with this method. (both times were to add a 4th port that I should have just drilled to begin with)

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/58956-easy-gas-block-removalreinstallation/

Ok yeah, I wonder why I can cycle low brass on setting 4 right, when I have one port partially covered?

And yeah I guess I should have asked if my gun was "under gassed" in the OP./

Another satisfied GlassBolt customer. ^_^

Thanks. That's about the best review a person could get inadvertently. :up:

Also, if it's running like a raped ape.....

QUIT screwing with it.

Make it pretty & shoot it.

You're already home safe. Quit running.

You can only screw up & make it prone to self destruction. once you reach a point where it's running great, you just STOP..

Wow.... just.... wow....

carry on

Hey now... it works better than trying to hammer the thing off!

Joe,

I wasn't referring to your removal technique. I actually think it is a very good method and it is similar to what I do. There was some other input in the thread that I found.... well.... nevermind. I laughed, so I suppose it qualifies for 'entertaining' ;)

Good idea haha.. Thanks man. I love it! I was going to PM you, but I didnt want to bother you bro!

You're very welcome. :)

Some don't understand why I do some of my current process & some are unable replicate it so they justify to themselves that it's un-needed & attempt to write it off as unproductive "bling".

I'm not going to try to defend it while educating them otherwise, so I blow it off, but everything I do in a basic GlassBolt is done for a reason.

You stumbled across the reason.

Yeah, it looks beautifully crafted, but it's all really just form following function.