Buying overseas and bringing home?

First post here.

I would like to know if anyone here has had experience with buying and bringing into the US "gun items" specifically S-12 mags? My question is, is there any issues with passing through US customs with a couple of Izzy 8 rd mags in baggage?

thanks for any info.

Probably not in your baggage.

Might be able to ship it if you get lucky.

Other countries aren't too picky about what you have in your baggage, but when you get back to the US they usually make you empty your bags and show them everything, then they decide if you can keep it or not. For example, I flew to the UK with a carton of cigs, no problem. When I landed back in the US they were ultra paranoid and went through everything.

Edited by Tombs

This is my concern. i've made several trips to/from russia, and never had US Customs look at my stuff, only once leaving Russia did they look. A surefire flash light was looked at for a few seconds, then given back and that was that.

My concern is two fold, one with there being some law issue, and the other with the inspector knowing the value of Izzy 8rd mags and "inventing an issue" just to take it himself.

shipping was/is my first choice, but it may be big money. (once had a simple envelop sent, it was close to $20.)

Probably not in your baggage.

Might be able to ship it if you get lucky.

Other countries aren't too picky about what you have in your baggage, but when you get back to the US they usually make you empty your bags and show them everything, then they decide if you can keep it or not. For example, I flew to the UK with a carton of cigs, no problem. When I landed back in the US they were ultra paranoid and went through everything.

First post here.

I would like to know if anyone here has had experience with buying and bringing into the US "gun items" specifically S-12 mags? My question is, is there any issues with passing through US customs with a couple of Izzy 8 rd mags in baggage?

thanks for any info.

I've done quite a bit of overseas travelling, so I can help with this a bit..

You shouldn't have any problem with accessories going through customs, but the total value of foreign goods coming with you back into the US must be less than $500 in value. It is a good idea to keep receipts to show customs, and you should definitely put any firearm related items into checked baggage.

Technically, you CAN get a foreign firearm through customs with you, but it is rather a big to-do. You'll need to provide an approved ATF Form 6, for starters - and expect your everyday customs agent to flip his shit when he sees you with a gun. You should also have documentation from the country of purchase showing a legal, approved transfer.. I.e. Don't have your foreign buddy buy one in his name, and then you try to sneak it into the US. Foreign officials will not take kindly to you possessing a gun illegally (non-citizens in most countries can not possess a weapon) in an airport. Finally, make sure that when you land in the US that your gun meets local law - you can expect the stir you cause to get the local PD's asshairs up - and DON'T rely on traveller's clauses in the law Basically, don't fly into Newark, LaGuardia or JFK. Dulles is probably out, too. Is Raleigh NC still doing international flights? Thats probably your best bet.

• Like 1

Whatever you do, stay the F out of New Jersey.

And think about this logically. Ask yourself how much you are going to "save". Then, see how much work you'll have to do to get everything back. THEN, ask yourself if it'll be worth the hassle YOU KNOW you'll get even if you have your shit in order. And even if you have your shit in order, think about going to jail because some dipshit cop takes you to jail anyway because he's ignorant or just an A hole. No offense the to normal cops.

So, is potentially having to deal with all of that worth saving a couple hundred bucks? not in my book. But I don't know what you're planning to bring back, and if it'll be saving you in the thousands then it might...MIGHT be worth it. Again, unless you run into an A hole who takes you to jail just because.

Cost - benefit analysis. Do it! :)

Thanks for all the thoughts on this subject thus far. You know I didnt even think of the state/mag ban issue...would be flying into Atlanta. (Ga. is good to go as far as I know, and so is my state.) So no worries there?

However, this brings up the question, how do high cap mags travel for example to a free state in the north east, from a free state out west, without crossing into NY, or NJ...or do they. (just food for thought, nothing to do with my original question)

I personaly am only interested in 8 rd mags for the saiga 12. They can be found in a few shops for much less than here these days. yes, just going with the US made ones are the easy route, but if its legal to bring a couple I'd be a fool not to do so.

I figured someone here must have tried this before...

Thanks for all the thoughts on this subject thus far. You know I didnt even think of the state/mag ban issue...would be flying into Atlanta. (Ga. is good to go as far as I know, and so is my state.) So no worries there?

However, this brings up the question, how do high cap mags travel for example to a free state in the north east, from a free state out west, without crossing into NY, or NJ...or do they. (just food for thought, nothing to do with my original question)

I personaly am only interested in 8 rd mags for the saiga 12. They can be found in a few shops for much less than here these days. yes, just going with the US made ones are the easy route, but if its legal to bring a couple I'd be a fool not to do so.

As someone who has shipped Cuban cigars to himself from Japan, you'd be better off just mailing them to yourself. I can't tell you to leave the mag off of the customs declaration form but if you ship some clothes home to yourself, you could "forget" the mag...

• Like 1

Check with your airline as each one has its own rules on firearm transportation.

Firearms Continental accepts one item of shooting equipment per customer as checked baggage. One item of shooting equipment is defined as one hard-sided shooting equipment case containing up to five firearms, with or without scopes, 11 lbs (five Kgs.) of ammunition and articles used in the firearm sport.

• Firearms will be accepted only from a customer who is 18 years of age or older.
  • International firearm regulations vary by destination and transiting country. Contact appropriate consulates or embassies to obtain specific entry requirements applicable to destination(s).
    • Firearms are not accepted to/from Israel.
    • Firearms are not accepted to/from Denmark
    • For travel to/from the United Kingdom, pistols, rifles and shotguns must be packed in a hard side rifle case.
    • Customers traveling to/through Amsterdam, Netherlands (AMS) with checked firearms/ammunition must obtain permission from the Netherlands Consulate/Embassy in their country of origin prior to departure. Weapons are subject to confiscation in Amsterdam unless the owner can show all required permits. Customers traveling on military orders with checked firearms may do so without prior consent from Dutch Customs. Checked military ammunition is forbidden. For your convenience, the application for permission is available for download in Adobe PDF format.

[*]Curbside check-in of a firearm is not permitted

The upside is you save a few hundred bucks. The downside is you might go to jail and lose your right to posses guns forever. I'd really think hard about this and determine just what laws, if any, you might be violating. For example in addition to the ATF stuff, a magazine for a Saiga 12 is classifed as a category I item under United States Munitions List (Components, parts or accessories for a Combat shotgun) which means it is in theory regulated under ITAR and anyone engaged in "the business of" importing or exporting or manufacturing defense articles is required to register with the State Department - about $2500 per year iirc. I have no idea how they handle personal use.

The major airports in NY/NJ are a nightmare for travelling with firearms. NRA is in litigation against the TSA and local departments for arresting individuals for having guns with them at the airport and trying to check them as baggage. The New York City area has stricter gun control (local ordinances) than the rest of the state, and people routinely get arrested for violating local ordinances when travelling with guns.. even though NYS law has a traveller's provision exempting guns stored in locked cases while travelling. There is no provision for travel with hi-cap mags at all, so I imagine you'd get busted for that pretty easily.

TSA is sending the message to keep firearms stuff the hell away from LaGuardia, JFK and Newark.. that is what is boils down to. Even if you have the law on your side, you're asking to get hassled.

The upside is you save a few hundred bucks. The downside is you might go to jail and lose your right to posses guns forever. I'd really think hard about this and determine just what laws, if any, you might be violating. For example in addition to the ATF stuff, a magazine for a Saiga 12 is classifed as a category I item under United States Munitions List (Components, parts or accessories for a Combat shotgun) which means it is in theory regulated under ITAR and anyone engaged in "the business of" importing or exporting or manufacturing defense articles is required to register with the State Department - about $2500 per year iirc. I have no idea how they handle personal use.

Yeah I just wanna know about magazines for personal use.

Did you even read the first post in this thread? He's asking about magazines not the gun itself...

Did you even read the first post in this thread? He's asking about magazines not the gun itself...

Again, logic. Save what, maybe $200? Risk: the sky is the limit.

The decision should be obvious.

Again, logic. Save what, maybe $200? Risk: the sky is the limit.

The decision should be obvious.

Logic eh? Try looking at the law, if it says you can't then you can't, if it doesn't, well, that's the only logic I need. I've never heard of any situation where someone was prohibited from bringing something they bought overseas into the country as long as it was legal to do so. That's why I'd mail it to myself, that way I don't have to worry about what state I'd be landing in. Hell, I'd probably take the thing apart and mail it in separate packages if I were that worried about it...

You can have an MD-20 in California, as long as it's in pieces...

Yes I did. Did you not read what I wrote? Perhaps you are not aware that magazines are considered "Components, parts or accessories" of guns?

Hence they are are on the United States Munitions List and are covered by the State Department's ITAR rules as well (at minimum) the ATF rules. I have no idea if you CAN legally import then for personal use or what the potential penalty is if your luggage gets searched by a Customs inspector who just got reamed by her boss because she isn't arresting enough people.

Yes I did. Did you not read what I wrote? Perhaps you are not aware that magazines are considered "Components, parts or accessories" of guns?

Hence they are are on the United States Munitions List and are covered by the State Department's ITAR rules as well (at minimum) the ATF rules. I have no idea if you CAN legally import then for personal use or what the potential penalty is if your luggage gets searched by a Customs inspector who just got reamed by her boss because she isn't arresting enough people.

Ah, well, that's something that I did not know. Good point then. Sorry about the confusion.

ITAR. There is a reason he says "At this time we only offer sales in the United States and US territories."

You can't legally carry gun parts in your carry-on and it's pretty odd looking when it goes through the x-ray for checked luggage. I have no idea if it's legal or not, but the downside is pretty huge if it is illegal and you get caught.

I'm in the process of writing a letter to the ATF, and will inform you all when they inform me.

I am just a bit surprised that no one here has tried this or inquired with the ATF before me.

Laws seem to often be based on money and taxes...and logic never seems to be used. If its not legal to bring in a few 8 rd mags, but fine to buy 10, 12 or 20 rd drums here.. its not very logical to me. But there is that tax issue, and we all know uncle Sam likes his cut, so I will not be surprised if its a big "NO" answer.

who is it that sells them from time to time? Russmilitary? So it must be legal I assume...?

Who here has Izzy 8 rd mags, and how did you get them?

I'm in the process of writing a letter to the ATF, and will inform you all when they inform me.

I am just a bit surprised that no one here has tried this or inquired with the ATF before me.

Laws seem to often be based on money and taxes...and logic never seems to be used. If its not legal to bring in a few 8 rd mags, but fine to buy 10, 12 or 20 rd drums here.. its not very logical to me. But there is that tax issue, and we all know uncle Sam likes his cut, so I will not be surprised if its a big "NO" answer.

who is it that sells them from time to time? Russmilitary? So it must be legal I assume...?

Who here has Izzy 8 rd mags, and how did you get them?

Mostly they are smuggled through customs, like you intend to do. I think.

When shipped from the UK, or Ukraine things get harassed less upon arrival. But try shipping from Russia and it will almost certainly not make it.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...