So what do you guys use to lube your Saigas? Normally I would use CLP or LSA but I have a tub of lithium wheel bearing grease that costs lots less and seems to get the job done. I know, it should be surplus grease from T-34 tank gear boxes but that stuff is hard to find right now. I lube the areas where motion exists, such as bolt lugs and recesses the bolt carrier cam area and the rails on which the bolt cycles. Any place I missed? Just asking as I may find some new wrinkles I have not thought of.

Lube?

Lube a AK?

Thats like cleaning a AK, something that might happen during periods of extreme boredom.

If one feels they must lube their AK, they will find that just about anything, from a greasy fart to the finest synthetic product, will perform on par.

That is to say, you will not notice the difference between your AK being lubed or not.

OK, OK, I jest, but only a little.

The times that I've cleaned my Saigas, I generally smeared a dab grease on the rails and a few drops of any lube at hand on the bolts.

• 1 month later...

Yes chille, boredom gets my rifle lubed up. If an ak needs it or not, I feel that im protecting it, so if needed, i can rest assured that its in tip top shape if that time comes. I use CLP all over and Tetra gun grease on my contact points.

So what do you guys use to lube your Saigas? Normally I would use CLP or LSA but I have a tub of lithium wheel bearing grease that costs lots less and seems to get the job done. I know, it should be surplus grease from T-34 tank gear boxes but that stuff is hard to find right now. I lube the areas where motion exists, such as bolt lugs and recesses the bolt carrier cam area and the rails on which the bolt cycles. Any place I missed? Just asking as I may find some new wrinkles I have not thought of.

My lubrication protocol is as much a process as it is a product. Since I'm insufferably lazy, and clean my guns but little, I first begin with a good dose of carb cleaner or brake cleaner (neither of which should contact painted surfaces), being careful to treat all areas needing lube, and then using an air compressor with blow gun, blow it out until dry.

Next comes a shot of CLP over and in the same areas, followed by another few seconds of compressed air blown thereupon, until the surfaces seem dry.

Then it's load'em up and shoot'em....so far, I've never experienced a FTC (failure to clean) event, in thousands of shots in dozens of guns, and so I'm satisfied with the procedure.

Is it ok to squirt some CLP on all of the FCG?

CLP, FP10 (similar to CLP), and occasional glob of lithium grease.

Yeah--use the CLP/FP10 on the axis pins and hammer spring, and it's helpful to use lithium grease to hold the spring in the disconnector, as well as use on the FCG surfaces that interface each other. Alternatively, just squirt CLP on the whole mess. Used to use molybdenum grease on all sorts of stuff as it works well, but it will never come off your clothing or fingers.