Should I trade in a SCAR-16S for a SGL-31?

I have a SCAR-16S that I am considering getting rid of. I am interested in hearing if I should go pick up a SGL-31 and get some cash back on the SCAR or if I should keep the SCAR. I am not entirely happy with the gas system take down and cleaning on the SCAR and would probably prefer the straight forward manual of arms of the Saiga. I have plenty of other 5.56 platforms so I do not really need the SCAR. Is there a good reason to keep the SCAR vs getting a 5.45x39 platform and some change?

Other than che drag, the only rifles I own are all AK74 variants including 2 SGL31's

I don't know how good a SCAR16S actually is in the grand scheme but I can definitely say the SGL31 is a hell of a rifle, I'd take one for SHTF over anything else in a heartbeat except an SLR105.

Z

Edited by TX-Zen

2, We dont need another guy buying up surplus 5.45x39. ;)

Other then that, i'd go Kalashnikov.

Why would you want a $750 AK when you got a $2000 SCAR, so just keep moving along people nothing to see here just keep moving. This also pertains to the S-12 ,What you really need is a mossberg 500.:angel:

Well, one of the reasons I want to trade in the SCAR is that I am beginning to have doubts as to the solidity of the folding stock. I want to go the SGL-31 route and buy a fixed stock version. Two, I hate the little detent pin one has to push to get at the SCAR piston, even with the suggested tool it does not push in easily. The SCAR is mag finicky only takes GI magazines as a basic rule, Lancer L5 magazines and PMags do not work properly in it and I do not want to be buying EMags for just one system. Also found out from a army buddy who has close contacts with the SOCOM community that the SCAR eats optics, especially red dot scopes, due to recoil impulses of the bolt carrier group and piston set up. Supposedly FNH has done a fix for SOCOM but I doubt I am eligible for the upgrade being a civilian puke now. Further there is parts availability and serviceability, parts for an AK are easier to find and install.

Not interested in the SCAR 17 at all, especially as it take expensive proprietary magazines and the above concerns as to parts and such. I bought the SCAR on a lark but now am not as impressed as I was once. Just explaining why I am considering the switch. My gun safe is pretty full do this would make space for the new gun too. I think I have made up my mind to get rid of the SCAR, the question is to trade it or sell it to someone in a private sale. I have done some upgrades, like installing an AAC 18T Blackout so it's suppressor ready. I guess it will depend on the deal I can get for it.

Edited by Saigaczech
  • Like 1

Well, one of the reasons I want to trade in the SCAR is that I am beginning to have doubts as to the solidity of the folding stock. I want to go the SGL-31 route and buy a fixed stock version. Two, I hate the little detent pin one has to push to get at the SCAR piston, even with the suggested tool it does not push in easily. The SCAR is mag finicky only takes GI magazines as a basic rule, Lancer L5 magazines and PMags do not work properly in it and I do not want to be buying EMags for just one system. Also found out from a army buddy who has close contacts with the SOCOM community that the SCAR eats optics, especially red dot scopes, due to recoil impulses of the bolt carrier group and piston set up. Supposedly FNH has done a fix for SOCOM but I doubt I am eligible for the upgrade being a civilian puke now. Further there is parts availability and serviceability, parts for an AK are easier to find and install.

Not interested in the SCAR 17 at all, especially as it take expensive proprietary magazines and the above concerns as to parts and such. I bought the SCAR on a lark but now am not as impressed as I was once. Just explaining why I am considering the switch. My gun safe is pretty full do this would make space for the new gun too. I think I have made up my mind to get rid of the SCAR, the question is to trade it or sell it to someone in a private sale. I have done some upgrades, like installing an AAC 18T Blackout so it's suppressor ready. I guess it will depend on the deal I can get for it.

I have always thought of the scar as an uber mall ninja weapon. Costs a hell of alot, looks kind of funky and really does not seem to be better than anything else out there. But thats me. I am suprised about the mag issue. For that kind of cash I would expect it to work with any type of AR mag. I do find it interesting that uncle sam doesnt want anymore scars in 5.56. So if it was me I'd dump that thing. But I like nice N simple; straight forward things. Oh wait thats why I went saiga. :rolleyes:

If you aren't happy with it, eventually the cool factor wears off (if not already) and you won't take it out and shoot it, making it an expensive safe queen.

I would sell it and get something that you will shoot and that puts a smile on your face.

The Saiga 5.45's have negligible muzzle rise and super fast follow up shots combined with cheap effective ammo making it a winner in my book.

• Like 1

I have an 16s and some 5.45 aks. I usually grab the ak's when going out back to kick up some dirt, mainly due to the price of ammo. If the SHTF I think i would be grabbing the scar for its accuracy, reliability, and optics setup. That is the main advantage I see in the scar over the ak is there is plenty of room for a nice eotech or aimpoint and you still have your nice flip up peep sights. Plus you can have your chest rig set up for your scar and other 5.56 STANAG platforms.

• 2 weeks later...

I know that if you shoot 3-gun competitions (like the MGM Ironman), MGM Targets is getting upset with all the steel-cored ammo out there, DQs anyone with ammo that sticks to a magnet *and* makes them buy targets. Since every spec for 5.45 I have seen is steel-core or steel-filler, that makes 5.45 a no-go for competition use. Which is a bummer, I'd been planning on getting a 5.45 for competition.

For SHTF purposes, I think I'd rather have a 7.62x39, with hunting hollowpoints or Kalashocks.