I have decided that I am moving from the navy blue puke stain state that used to deserve to be called the constitution state to Florida. The distance is about 1,300 miles.

My big question is as I will be flying (yes, I will be checking a bunch of firearms as luggage), how do I not get assraped on the shipping for ammo and other assorted toys like handloaders, my jugs of propellant, primers, all my mall ninja gear and so on?

As for the firearms, I will be checking 2 for carry on and on the way to the airport will be shipping to myself the rest of them to my address I have down there for a "hunting trip". Having dual residence is great for more than just getting out of jury duty but can be a pain in the ass if you make one declared cent in the non primary state you don't plan on filing taxes in.

Any secrets for bulk shipping? I don't want to get down there with my S308 and Mossy 590 I brought and not have food for them. What if the zombies come?! WHAT IF THE FUCKING ZOMBIES COME THAT EVERYBODY WON'T STOP SHUTTING UP ABOUT?!

Off to bed, enjoy :zorro:

I have decided that I am moving from the navy blue puke stain state that used to deserve to be called the constitution state to Florida. The distance is about 1,300 miles.

My big question is as I will be flying (yes, I will be checking a bunch of firearms as luggage), how do I not get assraped on the shipping for ammo and other assorted toys like handloaders, my jugs of propellant, primers, all my mall ninja gear and so on?

As for the firearms, I will be checking 2 for carry on and on the way to the airport will be shipping to myself the rest of them to my address I have down there for a "hunting trip". Having dual residence is great for more than just getting out of jury duty but can be a pain in the ass if you make one declared cent in the non primary state you don't plan on filing taxes in.

Any secrets for bulk shipping? I don't want to get down there with my S308 and Mossy 590 I brought and not have food for them. What if the zombies come?! WHAT IF THE FUCKING ZOMBIES COME THAT EVERYBODY WON'T STOP SHUTTING UP ABOUT?!

Off to bed, enjoy :zorro:

Use Craigslist to try and hook up with someone who is moving to Florida that has some room in their truck. A friend of mine got a sailboat towed from Southern California to Washington like this for way cheaper than a freight company would have charged.

Take digital photographs of all guns with macro photos of all serial numbers. Record all serial numbers and descriptions on an Excel spreadsheet then burn multiple copies to CD. Remove all slides from S/A pistols and bolts & bolt carriers from rifles. If at all possible that package would travel with me and not leave my sight.

A few suggestions.

Good luck,

Yakdung

I would check with Yellow or Roadway freight carriers if you have the ability to take your stuff to one of their hubs and also pick your stuff up from their hub in FL. As far as your powder and primers goes, I'm pretty sure that even though you are shipping it to yourself you are still going to pay a hazmat fee on top of standard shipping charges.

UHAUL

I'm flying by myself, due to an injury that hasn't healed fully I can't drive that far.

ah I get it now. Hope you get better. GL with the move.

Just a thought, you could possibly pay some one to drive you then fly them back one way. Just a thought. I would consider it to protect my investments to the most of my ability.

Edited by Chevyman097

UHAUL

I'm flying by myself, due to an injury that hasn't healed fully I can't drive that far.

ah I get it now. Hope you get better. GL with the move.

Just a thought, you could possibly pay some one to drive you then fly them back one way. Just a thought. I would consider it to protect my investments to the most of my ability.

This might be the safest way to do it. Not the cheapest maybe, but probably the most secure.

Check with your airlines website how many firearms are allowed per bag.

Give yourself plenty of time for the TSA agents to inspect your bag, especially when flying from bigger airports .

One trip it took TSA 20-25 minutes to arrive(IAH) and on the return GSO it was only 10 minutes.

Here is Continentals current policy,your airline may differ on what they allow.

http://www.continental.com/web/en-US/content/travel/baggage/sports.aspx

minusBlue.gifFirearms Continental accepts one item of shooting equipment per customer as checked baggage. One item of shooting equipment is defined as one hard-sided shooting equipment case containing up to five firearms, with or without scopes, 11 lbs (five Kgs.) of ammunition and articles used in the firearm sport.

• Firearms will be accepted only from a customer who is 18 years of age or older.
  • International firearm regulations vary by destination and transiting country. Contact appropriate consulates or embassies to obtain specific entry requirements applicable to destination(s).
    • Firearms are not accepted to/from Israel.
    • Firearms are not accepted to/from Denmark
    • For travel to/from the United Kingdom, pistols, rifles and shotguns must be packed in a hard side rifle case.
    • Customers traveling to/through Amsterdam, Netherlands (AMS) with checked firearms/ammunition must obtain permission from the Netherlands Consulate/Embassy in their country of origin prior to departure. Weapons are subject to confiscation in Amsterdam unless the owner can show all required permits. Customers traveling on military orders with checked firearms may do so without prior consent from Dutch Customs. Checked military ammunition is forbidden. For your convenience, the application for permission is available for download in Adobe PDF format.

[*]Curbside check-in of a firearm is not permitted.[*]The firearm must be packaged in a hard-sided container capable of being locked. The container must be locked and the key or combination must remain in the customer's possession. If a hard-sided container is needed, see the container section of this site.[*]Handguns must be packed in hard-side lockable luggage. Baggage containing handguns must be locked at the time of acceptance by Continental Airlines and the key or combination retained in the passenger's custody.[*]The firearm will be transported in a section of the aircraft that is inaccessible to the customer. Proof of registration is not required.[*]Firearms carried in addition to the free baggage allowance will be assessed at the current excess baggage charge.[*]No more than 11 pounds of ammunition may be carried. The ammunition may be packed in the same container as the firearm or in a separate container. Ammunition must be packed in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in fiber, wood or metal containers. The ammunition inside the container must be protected against shock and secured against movement. The ammunition may be packed in the same container as the firearm or in a separate container.

If applicable, the first or second bag fee applies to checked firearms

Get a pallet with a HUGE box on it.. load it up.. guess the total weight.. Tape it and STRAP it shut.. they don't look at the contents unless it gets destroyed.. make sure you put a sign on it DO NOT TOP.. put ammo inside 5 gal buckets from Home Depot then overpack into that HUGE BOX..

Ship with Roadway/YRC or Old Dominion..

I guy I worked with shipped 400# of ammo from NJ to Alaska via Roadway for like $180.. granted he ORM D the box also..

Oh and me also heading SOUTH.. in the next year or so.. (I moved up my time-line)

Al

Edited by YWHIC

You can't ship primers unless you are HazMet certified, or the person/company doing it for you is. as far as shipping the ammo, whatever it's inside of has to be labeled. You get caught shipping this stuff without doing what you are supposed to, you will be screwed.

whats up with a bunch of people moving south?did i miss something?

'Cause it's more funner than up north! :D

My girl and I made the move last July from NY, and have enjoyed every minute of it so far. Zero complaints. Better weather, generally more gun rights (like beef said) depending on where in the north you lived, lower taxes, etc, etc.

Edited by -Shooter-

ABF has a service where they drop off a cargo container or trailer that you load, then they pick it up and deliver it. Never used it, or some of the similar services I've seen, but it looks interesting.

http://www.upack.com/

But be careful of the hazmat stuff, having all your gear burn up in the move and then getting arrested would suck.

'Cause it's more funner than up north! :D

My girl and I made the move last July from NY, and have enjoyed every minute of it so far. Zero complaints. Better weather, generally more gun rights (like beef said) depending on where in the north you lived, lower taxes, etc, etc.

Better gun rights

Lower taxes

Cheaper land and housing

Better weather

The list rolls on...........

ok then i see your guys points.though i dont really live up north im in missouri(more like mason dixon line)dont really have much complaints here.taxes dont seem too bad,housing and land are reasonable,get a little of everything on weather,and gun rights are good except the only bitch i have for that is you cant legally own a sound supressor,but you can have sbr-sbs-transferable class3,no mag restrictions or idiot configurations,ccw is available and encouraged and pistols are NOT of the devil here.so for now im good but didnt want to have missed out on some prediction or consperiacy that the north half of the US was to go up in flames or something :lolol: