wtf? bolt carrier slamming into rear trunnion (Arsenal SGL21-61)

oh christ wtf

just got this thing 3 days ago, and put 250 rounds through it today for the first time, and this is what happens. no jams, though. notice the silver shit, the carrier is definitely mashing into the thing. 022.gif the rivets dont appear to be deforming...so far

F1010697.jpg

F1010696-1.jpg

question is, is it overgassed? or the 154 grain herters soft point i was mostly shooting out of the thing?

btw, is the rear trunnion of this thing supposed to have that small U shaped indent?

Edited by m1lk

Check to see what the gas setting is on your gun. Check out some of the threads here for lots of info. If it's a stock Saiga gas system, it should probably be on setting #1 for the loads you are using.

Check to see what the gas setting is on your gun. Check out some of the threads here for lots of info. If it's a stock Saiga gas system, it should probably be on setting #1 for the loads you are using.

How do you change the gas setting on a Siaga rifle? :unsure:

How do you change the gas setting on a Siaga rifle? :unsure:

You drill a hole in the gas block and put an adjustment screw in ofcourse

im iffy on recoil buffers. would rather a wolff spring xtra power if i were to go that route.

though i used to have an io inc ak47c, and fired these same softpoints out of it. after a while the gun would jam, and then the rear trunnion rivets started to bend and come out. i can understand this on a cheap ass rifle like an IO or whatever, but not an $800 Arsenal.

As durable as AKs are, they are designed around a specific-grained ammo... there's a pretty fine balance between the gas port size and the springs that balances everything out. I'd use a stronger recoil spring, I'm not big on buffers, and/or reserve SP for hunting and SHTF...

As durable as AKs are, they are designed around a specific-grained ammo... there's a pretty fine balance between the gas port size and the springs that balances everything out. I'd use a stronger recoil spring, I'm not big on buffers, and/or reserve SP for hunting and SHTF...

I definitely agree. There are quite a few options in SP ammo around the 123-124 grain, as well.

Edited by stnls1911
  • Like 1

Is it a brand new rifle? Does it have any parts that have been switched out, like the hammer spring for instance?

brand new rifle.

i will try both options then. i have an ak74 with a wolff spring xtra power in it, ill test it with that spring, then lighter ammo, then both. if i still get the same result, ill call up Arsenal and use the warranty.

thanks for the help folks, any other information you can provide would be great

My vote is for a stronger spring. Some of our more seasoned members (of which I am not) have recommended that in the past. Attitudes about recoil buffers are mixed at best around here. I've shot 154 grain SP's through mine, and have not seen that kind of trunion damage personally. Then again, I've only put about 40 rounds at that weight through mine. I prefer 123 and 124 grain weights. Let us know what you decide. I've been thinking of getting an aftermarket spring myself. Good Luck.

Edited by Kevin in Texas

im iffy on recoil buffers. would rather a wolff spring xtra power if i were to go that route.

you can get a bulgarian ak-74 spring and its a direct match, mil-spec, and stronger than the saiga factory spring.

last buffer i used got ate up by the carrier and caused an easily fixed jam. i would go with the lighter grain ammo and/or a stronger spring.

Edited by GregM1