Folks, I've developed a few handguards for the Saigas requiring no modification to the original gun, such as pressing off gas blocks and front sites to install a retainer, as well as to fit the 308.

Thus far I have made:

No-gunsmithing wooden AKM style lower handguards for the S-308 (pic on right is less sanded than final product)

post-6-1120277526_thumb.jpgpost-6-1119921828.jpg

A custom full length handguard for the S-410

post-6-1120251263_thumb.jpg

Full length forend for the S-308 (VEPR style)

post-6-1119900219_thumb.jpg

The AKM length lower handguards have an integrated metal retainer that simply center the handguard around the barrel while the forend is fastened using the standard Saiga screw on the bottom of the receiver. This is your answer for making something AK-style without pressing off barrel parts. Being standard AKM length, an AK-74 gas tube will accomodate the upper handguards of your choice.

I plan to make standard the AKM and RPK style of forend out of maple as standard products. Other styles I will make by request or if I have a sudden urge to try something new.

I am also working on other items such as almost-no-gunsmithing upper handguards for your standard gas tube, and wooden buttstocks of various designs, including classic Saiga config. If you really wanted wooden furniture now you have a chance to get something possibly better and US made, counting towards your parts compliance.

post-6-1120277648_thumb.jpg

(upper handguard in progress with experimental undersized RPK lower)

Let me know what you want and I'll give you a price estimate that I won't exceed for your product. I won't take money until it's ready. I prefer to offer items unfinished so that you can match them to whatever you like, but if you have a finish request I can go to the store and use a brush just like the rest of us.

I have a Saiga X39, 223, 308, and 410 that I can use to model handguards. I also have a friend with a S-20 that I can measure if absolutely necessary. S-12 forends will require help from board members to give me certain barrel and other important dimensions.

Oh, just to cover my arse, these don't take incredibly long to make, but I can't promise a timeframe, only that I won't take anyone's money without a product about to ship. But I've turned out quite a few in the last week. Ten day inspection period (ten day because it seems every month someone comes out with a new empty promise of Saiga products.) Also, though I try to go online several times a day, days may pass when I don't get online. Chill out, I'm still alive and still care. :zorro:

Happy Saiga shooting!

Edited by BattleRifleG3
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me know what sort of style you want. Similar to factory? Similar to sporting shotguns like the Rem 1100? I currently only offer lower handguards, but can make them reasonably tall such as the 410 version pictured above. Other stuff like buttstocks is still in development.

S-12 and S-20 should be similar in price, but I'll need some specs from you for the S-12.

Believe it or not, the integrated retainers are pretty simple but are a real pain to make. Full length handguards will thus be attractively priced.

The one I did for the 410 was a special request for a Schnabel style. Do other folks want this schnabel style as well?

I'm going to estimate $55 for a full length 20ga standard shape handguard made from standard maple and left for the buyer to apply the finish of his choice.

Doing an AKM style for the Saiga Shotguns would be a whole new ballgame, because of the barrel diameters and difficulty making a matching upper. My idea for that would be to have a single handguard that replicates the AKM lower but instead of meeting the upper, continues upward on each side for a little bit and has vents where the upper and lower handguards of the AKM would meet. Will try to produce one soon. Another complication there is that the Saiga shotguns have no hole in the receiver for retaining a handguard. This means you'd have to drill the hole yourself. Either you'd have to try really hard to match the hole I'd drill in the handguard or I'd just sell you the handguard undrilled and you'd drill the whole in both at once to make sure it lined up. It's a really minor piece of work. An "almost-no-gunsmithing" setup.

when you said no retainer hole in the reciever, did you mean the small tang on the handguard rear? the one that holds the handguard onto the shotgun. mine has one. also i once had my s20 and s12 handguards off at the same time and put them back onto the wrong guns, the only difference was a slight wobble at the rear as the retainer tangs were very slightly different widths, but they both fit. so i don't think that the 12 and 20 handguards are very far apart in dimension.

pat

No.... the .308's have a HOLE for a screw that threads into the receiver and the stock exactly where you mention it slides into the receiver....

holding the stock in place....

Also...

Theres no reason you couldnt drill a small hole in the handguard up front where the strap lug screws in... and hook it up there with a strap lug bolt if desired... or even just a small screw and washer....

:smoke:

Update on buttstocks: I have a proof of concept mostly done. Shape and appearance turned out pretty good. A couple angles need to be different and a couple dimensions enlarged. The pine wood used is proving to be plenty strong enough for a solid buttstock. I will probably offer it as standard and make other wood versions by request.

The POC stock is far enough along to do its job of proving the concept and I can go on making the real thing. The things that need to be changed are simple dimensions to accomodate larger hands such as my own.

If anyone wants a "youth model" standard stock for their Saiga let me know and I'll complete it and send it to you for a good price. Pics will come soon.

Aw heck, why wait?

Here's the one-of-a-kind proof of concept for a stock to fit ALL unconverted Saigas and combine the best features of the standard stock and pistol grip. Future models will have a longer grip that's slightly more vertical. Ended up a little too small for me, so anyone wanting a smaller model for ladies and youth let me know and I'll complete if for you.

post-6-1120799377_thumb.jpg

Edited by BattleRifleG3

The youth size came by accident. It was a first try and there's another couple factors I need to take into account. Basically I found as a result that I should have placed my hand a bit lower and that I could afford a steeper angle. This isn't exactly even a prototype. It's a proof of concept, and frankly a successful one amidst its shortcomings (no pun intended ;) ) If someone just happens to want a youth model, it's conveniently available. I happen to have large hands as does everyone I'd have in mind for it.

Pine can be had for good prices and can be worked with easily. It's not ideal for handguards due to the thin sections, but isn't the worst thing either. Thankfully I have my choice of finer woods in the perfect size for handguards. The same source would have a harder time supplying the size of wood for buttstocks, while well priced pine is the perfect size. Since buttstocks are solid, it's plenty strong, and my POC can attest to that.

I plan to make the straight, angled grip style standard in the full-grown size. They will fit ALL unconverted Saigas. If you want something closer to the wooden stock on Amish's pic, I can work with you, but it will cost more. Not incredibly much though.

Bottom line is if you like the style shown and will take it in pine, you're going to have a pretty sweet deal coming. If you prefer another wood, I'll do my best to find it and ask a fair price.

I am very pleased that people are asking for unfinished stocks. There would be three times the clutter and quite a fume hazard if I finished everyone's stocks. Plus everyone wants something different. So here you can get a better price and finish it your way.

One of my principles in all this is to help other folks end up with unique projects of their own and end up in the end more knowledgeable about their guns and better able to use them and defend our right to use them.

Edited by BattleRifleG3

Here's a pic of my hand on the undersized stock compared to the current one. Appearance might not be too different, but the comfort is much greater. The first one was tight on my fingers and I had to reach down to tough the trigger. The second one I had room to spare. The grip is slightly more vertical too, though the angle of the first wasn't bad at all. Of course these are a little rough because they were just trying to get the right feel. Anything I'd actually sell would be smoothed out.

Rarrgh, the post reorganized them alphabetically. Larger model is on top, smaller on bottom.

post-6-1120862924_thumb.jpg

post-6-1120862977_thumb.jpg

Edited by BattleRifleG3

I will need S-12 folks to give me a few dimensions from the S-12 in order to offer a handguard for the S-12. First person to do so will get 10% off their first S-12 handguard. I've asked this numerous times, even had a specific request for a S-12 forend from a forum member, and he disappeared. I don't have an S-12 to measure and model on.

I will ask $40 for the buttstock unfinished and made from pine, as you see before you. For an S-12 forend, I'll ask $50 for a standard shaped one made from maple, also bare wood. Shipping will be $5 flat for con-US. I was planning to offer stock and forend combos, but since everyone seems to want a different forend for a different gun, simple individual pricing is in better order. The stocks will fit EVERY unconverted Saiga interchangeably.

Regarding timeframes, I cannot make promises, but I can tell you that I cranked out a buttstock and most of a handguard just this evening. On the other hand, I do have other requests that are larger scale and longer term work. I'll estimate a week or so turnaround time at this point. The few and proud mag adaptor buyers have been pretty patient and I need to finish their requests. Not their fault it takes a heck of a lot less time to crank out a handguard.

So give me S-12 specs and I'll be able to offer handguards for it. I'll post a specific thread on the S-12 forum. If you can post a pic of a naked S-12 front end that will help.

One thing to keep in mind, folks. Offering these in the first place costs money. Anything you buy will help me offer more stuff, so if you want to see more stuff, understand what it will take to get it available. So speak up and give it a try. Also, if enough of you guys want the same thing, I can be a lot more streamlined and end up getting stuff done faster and at less expense. So do speak up!

Actually, DetPat, I wasn't talking about you at all. It was another fellow that made a generous offer and I agreed to take on the project, planning to make it the absolute most pristinely perfect Saiga handguard you could imagine. I told him I needed those dimensions. He said ok. I asked a couple more times over time. No response.

I think, DetPat, that all our communications got through and we're on the same page. All is well.

Folks, if I ever sound harsh and you think I'm talking about you, I'm probably not. Most of the folks I have cows with are the ones who never show after making drastic promises of ... and ... I'm talking months, I'm talking no response to PMs, I'm talking trolls... Not you guys who are still around constructively discussing this stuff.

I rarely ever mention specific forum members by name on the open forum with any negative comments. I really don't care who did or didn't do what, just what happened and what the results are. I'd rather folks just understand that if they want custom stuff for their Saigas at good prices they need to speak honestly about their interest and willingness to buy. If they keep yanking the chains of folks like me and make us go out on a limb for nothing, they shouldn't be surprised when no one takes their interests seriously, no one offers hi-cap or even normal cap Saiga mags, and Remington keeps dropping great calibers and introducing stupid ones while used Remingtons fetch increasing prices by the hour.

Edited by BattleRifleG3

I realized that I didn't state clearly that the buttstocks do not come with a buttplate. I apologize for any misunderstanding. The butt ends of the stocks are smoothed out to offer at least as much comfort as a solid buttplate. If you wish a buttplate to be added, I will include and install it AT COST.

• Chatbox

Load More
    You don't have permission to chat.