Nifty, BHO mod

So while I want to get a CGW LRBHO, I am holding off until I see further range results. However, for the time being I was getting tired of the normal 'ol BHO sometimes, albeit rarely, slipping and getting stuck inside the gun. Well I know lots of guys around here just take the whole thing out but I really wanted to keep mine so I figured I'd try something(that's probably already been done before but I just missed it).

It's actually pretty simple and doesn't require anything more than a 1/16th drill bit and some patience. You'll end up with 4d5a5caa42416407800.jpg

I then looped steel wire around the hole in the BHO, which keeps the BHO from fitting all the way back through into receiver, and stops it from failing. Hopefully this'll hold me off until I hear good things about the LRBHO.

Yep, mine never since the first time. A tweak of the hammer spring and it never has again. :rolleyes:

See, I did that too. I messed with the spring, I cut notch for the spring, everything! Yet it would still, on rare occasions slip. Now I can't even force it to fail.

I was just considering something along the same lines. Third time the stupid thing Hung up in a week. I notched it tweaked it tried everythingvand it still happens

Same here, removed it altogether. I bet a pop rivet instead of wire looped through the hole would look pretty clean though.

A button head screw into a threaded hole would allow you to remove it. A rivet would be more involved.

True. An aluminum rivet isn't hard to remove if needed. I just removed it to make the weapon less involved. (Less shit to malfunction).

• 3 months later...

my BHO after my conversion seems to be keeping the right portion of the cantilever to keep coming off , looks like by removing BHO would resolve . I noticed in the conversion I was using as guideline he removed it altogether. Any idea if this will affect the performance of the gun by removing the BHO all together?

Yep, mine never since the first time. A tweak of the hammer spring and it never has again. :rolleyes:

See, I did that too. I messed with the spring, I cut notch for the spring, everything! Yet it would still, on rare occasions slip. Now I can't even force it to fail.

I was just considering something along the same lines. Third time the stupid thing Hung up in a week. I notched it tweaked it tried everything and it still happens

Are you guys certain your BHO springs are installed correctly?

The short leg of the spring should rest on the "dog-ear". Only about 1/8" or less will hang over if it is.

If someone installed the long leg over the dog-ear & the short leg was against the receiver it can direct the spring's energy incorrectly & make the BHO want to tilt inward.

When one looks at the parts, it looks like the long end should go over the dog-ear so it can't slip off, but that is not the case. The short end is just long enough not to slip off & the long end rides down the receiver to direct pressure as intended.

my BHO after my conversion seems to be keeping the right portion of the cantilever to keep coming off , looks like by removing BHO would resolve . I noticed in the conversion I was using as guideline he removed it altogether. Any idea if this will affect the performance of the gun by removing the BHO all together?

Just use a full width hammer, or shim a washer in between the hammer's axis & the right side of the receiver if the hammer in question has been fit to allow the presence of a BHO.

AKs have no BHO. Reason being, that's just one more thing to worry about.

On the S-12 it's nice though, because it makes loading full drums easier.