anyone running a s12 suppressor?

how ya liking the results? i heard one being fired at a c3 shoot last year, but i had my muffs on and it sounded loud. i think it was a redjacket product..... i am thinking about becoming a manufacturer, and i am looking for interest and such. what do yall think the sweet spot is for pricing?

please post pics of yours if you have one suppressed, thanks!

Red Jacket does this mod. if my memory serves me right, the first episode of Sons of Guns featured a Saiga with suppressor (and they quoted $2,500 for the gun and suppressor). they were able to bring down the sound level to about 144db (i think) rolleyes.gif

Go to the Red Jacket website you can hear there suppressed S12 on there. My complaint of the suppressor is the length....

I have handled one of their screw-on 12ga supressors. May as well mount an aluminum tee-ball bat to the weapon. Long is an understatement.

What are they measuring at stock? 144 is still painful.

i just got to clarify the 144 db, i mentioned was from the show sons of guns i watched quite a long time ago. i think they started to read around 180'ish when they started out. but then again, my memory can be wrong (time and again that's proven itself).

maybe anyone who's got a DVD or copy of the 1st episode of sons of guns can confirm.

• 2 weeks later...

to Tommymn-- ]keep in mind the dB scale is a logarimithmic scale. 180 dB is a lot more than 4x as 140 dB. That being said, what are the results of Tom Cole's suppressor? That one seems to be the most promising, and 4.5# on the end of an S12 would DEFINATELY be appreciated, as such items are considered a gentleman's accessory in Europe (so as not to annoy one's neighbors!)

ok i was wrong about my initial figures. here's a couple of snapshots from that suppressed S12 episode.

16b5afb3-b929-463a-b2af-22f3bccc05b3.jpg

final testing:

ec67054a-f852-4f0a-81bb-28e870e69e23.jpg

but this was taken indoors on a very small tight space. so it may be different if shot outdoors.

Suppressor ok...SBS won't fly. Or not for 2 years at least. maybe sbr next year. keep your fingers crossed boys.

Not to sidetrack the thread but, are you inplying there may be a change in WA law in regards to sbr, and sbs's or did I missread what you said. if so fingers are crossed big time.

Edited by macdesign

Suppressor ok...SBS won't fly. Or not for 2 years at least. maybe sbr next year. keep your fingers crossed boys.

Not to sidetrack the thread but, are you inplying there may be a change in WA law in regards to sbr, and sbs's or did I missread what you said. if so fingers are crossed big time.

Sorry I don't know the correct terminology but...there were numbers issued for two bills to go in front of the WA legislature in the next session...2011/2012. One is to legalize SBR and the other was to legalize SBS. Unfortunately the paperwork for the SBS was not done correctly thus it is off the table. But the bill to restore our rights to own SBR is still out there.

Edit: 2098 (2011-12) AN ACT Relating to short-barreled rifles

2099 (2011-12) AN ACT Relating to short-barreled shotguns and short-barreled rifles

I think 2099 was the one where there was a problem.

Edited by TO THE FLOOR

A 12 gauge shotgun has to be towards the top of the list of firearms that don't suppress well. I wouldn't expect much, but if you have a SBS you may want one for a change of pace every now and then. My question is, how does this effect the gas settings? If it's integral you can make the necessary modifications, but what about the crew on suppressors? Might be a good question for Will, because they are the only ones actually selling 12ga suppressors to my knowledge.

I though suppressed guns were supposed to make that "pfffft pffffft" sound, or just a click of the action cycling. The idea is to defend my house from invaders or zombies in the middle of the night without waking my baby or the neighbors. not to mention loosing my ability to hear and communicate after shooting in a confided hallway. Plus, everybody knows gunfire draws more zombies, sooooooo? red jacket reducing from 170 to 144 is decent, but that's FAR from "suppressed." really, if you cant "silence" an S12, there just isn't a point. Maybe you can convince somebody to pay you money because they just want to have one, but in the end, you're not furthering the technology or innovating.

I though suppressed guns were supposed to make that "pfffft pffffft" sound, or just a click of the action cycling. The idea is to defend my house from invaders or zombies in the middle of the night without waking my baby or the neighbors. not to mention loosing my ability to hear and communicate after shooting in a confided hallway. Plus, everybody knows gunfire draws more zombies, sooooooo? red jacket reducing from 170 to 144 is decent, but that's FAR from "suppressed." really, if you cant "silence" an S12, there just isn't a point. Maybe you can convince somebody to pay you money because they just want to have one, but in the end, you're not furthering the technology or innovating.

Suppressed sounds in movies are not even close to what they area in real life. No Country for Old Men is fantasy and the small size of that suppressor is not going to suppress the large amount of gas a 12 gauge makes.

If you are using most full power loads, you will have a sonic crack caused by the projectile exceeding the speed of sound, which by itself ranges from the mid 130's to the low 140's in decibels. 140 decibels is about the same as a full power .22 rifle going off (hearing safe, but still very loud). You need loads that are going around 1050 to 1100 fps to reliably stay under the sound barrier. Most full power slugs and buckshot are going to be over 1500 fps. Remember that the killing power of most rifle calibers is created through velocity (a .270 has a similar weight bullet to a .357 magnum, but it is going well over twice as fast).

It is possible to make a 12 gauge hearing safe (and it ain't going to be 3 inches long since it is mainly a matter of containing the volume of gas propelling the projectile). So don't expect it to be the click of the hammer and a mousefart "pfft" as the only sound (that would be closer to 105-115 DB). Really good centerfire suppressors with tailored subsonic loads will sound like an airgun or nail gun going off. Subsonic .22's sound like a staple gun which is about as close as you can get to "the hammer click".