Gemtech Will Not Thread An AK?

I sent this message to Gemtech (they offer high quality barrel threading services -- supposedly):

I have a Saiga .223 (AK variant). Do you guys have any experience in

threading Saiga barrels?

This is what was sent to me in response:

We do not. The AK type rifles are notorioiusly difficult to thread.

Regards,

Gemtech Techstaff

I never flat out asked them whether or not they would thread my rifle, but based off of their response, I'd say that's a negative. I was surprised. I was under the impression that I'd get a response along the lines of, "We more commonly thread pistol barrels and AR barrels, but we'd be happy to put some threads on your Saiga."

I just thought some of y'all would find that interesting. Take it easy. -ICarryIWB

Edited by ICarryIWB

Probably they haven't figured out to do it without removing the bbl, and one would think that those threads had better be straight, what with using a can...

My gunsmith has a jig for his lathe- the barrel stays on. My threads are straight, and I run a Gemtech can occasionally. They're just covering their asses.

Some good responses. I've considered threading it myself, but I'd rather have a professional company do it by way of a lathe. I would like to be able to use a can if I wanted to without any risk of damaging the device -- I want the threads to be perfect; and I don't feel 100% in my ability to guarantee that. I've thought about replacing that front sight block with one that has built in threads, as an alternative, but haven't researched that too much.

An AK/Saiga can be threaded on a lathe, without removing the FSB, the receiver, and all the internals. I know, I've done 3 of mine on my lathe at the shop. It looks like a Rube Goldberg set up, but if you take you time and indicate a lot of points, it'll turn out just fine. Last one I did was my AK74, and the can works just fine on it. On the AK74, from one end of the barrel to the other, I finally got it to within .005, the face was machined square with the threads, so no problems, and it's a joy to shoot with the can. I'm not a smith, so I can't thread yours, I can only do my stuff, but it can be done.

Edited by termite
  • Like 1