63 members have voted

1. 1. Assuming the below gun was real and reliable, what you would be willing to pay?

• 1500 or more
    • Nothing, i prefer the traditional design.

The AK from it's inception was designed to be a no frills ammunition processor that delivered maximum firepower with acceptable accuracy. The AK is a BATTLE RIFLE not a precision instrument. I will focus on reasonable priced standard AKs and leave the widgets to those that are willing to pay...

The Russians are developing a new AK called the AK-12 which features a Picatinny rail and other features such as a folding collapsible stock and better ergonomics while keeping the reliability that Kalashnikov's rifle is famous for. The sites have photos and describe the features.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2012/01/26/kalashnikov-ak-12-unveiled/

http://www.military-today.com/firearms/ak_12.htm

Like a lot of folks I have spent a lot of cash on stupid attachments but when it all said and done there just is no substitute

for plain old practice, and repetition to increase muscle memory. The only two additions I use is a collapsible stock for

winter vs summer LOP, and the ultimak rail on my AMD 65. The optics pretty much are side mount Bushnell UM25 and the

Primary Arms micro. The majority of all my Saiga and other AK style arms look as they are ment to look.

• Like 1

If you look at recent photos of Russian and NATO Allies like Poland's weapons being used by Elite Forces, they are all running Red Dot Optics, (lots of EOTechs), rails with lights and lasers, and M4 style adjustable buttstocks. Russians like Magpul stuff btw.

I have a Romanian with an adjustable stock, (Magpul), quadrail with Magpul RVG, MFT pistol grip, Krebs safety, and a Russian Kobra sight. It runs great and the rails offer me the option of adding my IR laser although it is currently zeroed on an AR. I think I still shoot that AK rig more than others due to ammo price, availability, and my own stock of ammo. I was going to run my AES-10B with a 6x POSP old school but I may ditch the wood and go with a Magpul PRS and a rail to be able to utilize the IR laser as well. Sometimes evolutions in weapon sighting systems and even more efficient furniture make more sense than trying to stay (Old School). My modernized AK is more efficient to shoot than my traditional AKs. My S12 is modern as well with an extended Chaos quad, Aimpoint Comp M2, and a Magpul adjustable stock. Companies that put together and market a modernized AK will make money in my opinion. Most shooters with a brain can figure this out and do it themselves to their personal preferences though.

Edited by MT Predator
  • Like 1

I would be down for an AK with these options.  This is exactly what I want and the reason I haven't purchased an AK to date.  I know one could piece together parts but I am more of the "buy one fully functional/tested and change small items" guy.  Since I already have a 7.62x39 AR rifle, I would love to use my ACS magazines.  However, even if it didn't have that option, I would be fine purchasing normal AK magazines with all the other features offered; mainly (LRBHO, Magwell, Telescopic/folding stock, rail on the dust cover). 

If I was going to design a modern AK, I would probably end up with the Polish Beryl

If you look at recent photos of Russian and NATO Allies like Poland's weapons being used by Elite Forces, they are all running Red Dot Optics, (lots of EOTechs), rails with lights and lasers, and M4 style adjustable buttstocks. Russians like Magpul stuff btw.
I have a Romanian with an adjustable stock, (Magpul), quadrail with Magpul RVG, MFT pistol grip, Krebs safety, and a Russian Kobra sight. It runs great and the rails offer me the option of adding my IR laser although it is currently zeroed on an AR. I think I still shoot that AK rig more than others due to ammo price, availability, and my own stock of ammo. I was going to run my AES-10B with a 6x POSP old school but I may ditch the wood and go with a Magpul PRS and a rail to be able to utilize the IR laser as well. Sometimes evolutions in weapon sighting systems and even more efficient furniture make more sense than trying to stay (Old School). My modernized AK is more efficient to shoot than my traditional AKs. My S12 is modern as well with an extended Chaos quad, Aimpoint Comp M2, and a Magpul adjustable stock. Companies that put together and market a modernized AK will make money in my opinion. Most shooters with a brain can figure this out and do it themselves to their personal preferences though.

Agreed.. If I was going to design a US-made AK, it would probably end up being a mirror of the Polish Beryl, but perhaps with AR magwell for 5.56.

I don't understand why many want to change the manual of arms for the AK. If you wan an AK that operates like an AR, they already make that - SIG 55x series.

NewBeryl1.jpg

• 4 months later...

Idea maybe..

Why not change the stamping pattern of the receiver to make it inline with the barrel. Then lengthen the receiver toward the front and add rails to that.. One could even get fancy and stamp it into a more grip like surface. Imagine having a receiver that went all the way to the end of the gas block. That would logically be a stable mounting surface.

You would avoid making a costly mount, and would basically make a free floating hand guard.. It would be better, cheaper, and probably lighter than what they are currently doing..