7.62x39 for home defense?

ok, I did a search and didn't find anything though I'm sure it may have been discussed before.

While I'm aware that the caliber has been used in wartime around the globe, has anyone selected it for home defense? If so, why?

I currently have both a side by side 20ga and a 870 with knox system (the wife's and mine respectively) for HD use. I have wanted a "main battle rifle" as well for this purpose. I had an AR-10 but sold it as it quickly became a safe queen.

Even though I have both a Mosin and a Marlin (.30-30) I wanted the Saiga both for it's reliability and its simplicity. If it breaks, I can probably fix it. IF it breaks.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on the weapon in the role of home defense? Wall penetration, over penetration hazards, under penetration(?), etc...

Thanks,

Ken

For me, it's a back up to my Taurus PT145. If the situation reguires a more agressive response.

I know some of the guys are running frangible ammo which is a good idea in a multiple person environment. I'm running 5rnds of soft points over 25rnds of FMJ.

Ok here is what we do.

To stop the meth head who made it in the house. I have a old Remington 1148 that I cut the barrel to 18 1/2 inches. I chose this gun because. well... I had it and there is no real collector or hunting value to this gun.

2 3/4 inch w/full choke they are just not using these for hunting any more. Its a semi auto so the wife is not afraid of it. Loaded with 00 buck at close range not much will stay up after that.If you shop around you can find one for about $150.

If the shot gun is not appropriate but I still want to lay a thumping to put a hyped up intruder down. I have a .357 revolver that I loaded a powerful load behind a bullet that will release its energy in the first 6 inches of impact.

I am of the opinion that in a home invasion scenario. They have already made their intent obvious. I intend to act aggressively and with out quarter. The only words I will speak will be." Who the heck was that guy any way?"

Every other situation I deem as a stand off situation. Thats where having a AK or AR15 comes into play. Having adequate fire power is important in situations of civil unrest, Zombie apocalypses, Or any other stand off that I hope I did not cause.

First thing I'll grab is my 1911 and tac light followed by the 357 and then the 9mm. As for my 12g, I don't like leaving rounds in the tube so in that scenario the shotty is too slow. Now if it was an S12 where I could just slap a mag in it's a different story. But I still prefer 8 rounds of 45acp. Soft point ammo or not I'm just not comfortable with any rifle round going off in the house

I do not have a specific gun for HD. I just grab something out of the safe for the day. Many times it happens to be a 7.62. I like the guns and I am very comfortable with them, even in the dark, almost second nature.

I'm weird... I actually built a Draco for home defense. 7.62

the 7.62 round looses very little out of the shorter barrel, I like the higher capacity JUST IN CASE... its ultra reliable, short, easily manuvered thru the house, has the Hogue PG, Hogue overmold stock, top rail has my green laser, side rail has my surefire, useing an SVD style flash hider that does well enough that I don't worry about night blindness

20rd steel mag, fragnable ammo.

Its all about setup though, you NEED to take a few moments and look at your house... REALLY look at your house in terms of home invasion. Where are your kids? where are the bad guys likely to be comeing from... spend some time setting your house up so you have the home field advantage reguardless of the situation.

for example, and only as examples... I know a guy :rolleyes: that has mounted superbright floodlights at the end of his hallway, so that as he comes from his room, gun in hand, he can hit a switch and truely illuminate everything in front of him, but in a position high enough and far enough behind his bedroom door that it poses no issue to his own vision.... think spotlighting deer on a much grander scale.

This same guy has what most would assume to be a standard hollow core door on his bedroom but inside is a steel plate that would offer protection from even rifle shells, and when the door is opened, as if to fire around the corner and down the hall, the door swings back to cover his position from anywhere in the house but the master bath which is only accessable from his own room.

This same guy has the same door on his kids room.. which is directly across the hall from his own, and not in the line of fire, with the kids bed being placed along the back wall behind the steel plate so that anyone shooting at the homeowner cant accidently bounce a shot thru the wall and hit a family member. Hell he MIGHT have gone as far as pulling a few sheets of sheetrock off the wall and sandbagging the kids room between the studs before replaceing it to look normal.

This same guy ran across some fiber optic cable from an old buddy and has it set in his bedroom wall, run thru the walls to the front side of the house, and has night time lamps perfectly positioned to shine on the recieveing end in the main body of the house so that anyone walking thru the house would have to pass between the light source and the fiber optic cable mounted in the trimwork causeing the light to blink out in the master bedroom thus allowing the homeowner to know exactly where the intruder is in the house before leaveing his room armed were he so inclined.

This guy.... has a few other gimmics and tricks up his sleeve but you get the idea... he takes protecting his family VERY seriously and has taken steps to insure he and his will never be one of those sad stories you see on the news.

with proper mindset, very litte expense, and most of all preperation.... your family should never know fear in their own home.

make a plan, stick to the plan... make sure everyone knows the plan.... make the plan simple

the walls are sandbagged 4 feet up.... which is exactly where the wainscot trim is.....high enough to protect a sleeping child from a stray shot and damn sure high enough that after the first shot is fired, and the kids know to ROLL out of bed they'll be safe till daddy comes for them.

Its an ugly world we live in now days... and home invasion is the #1 fastest growing crime there is. Take a few moments to protect yourself and your loved ones.....

• Like 2

Anyway, what are your thoughts on the weapon in the role of home defense? Wall penetration, over penetration hazards, under penetration(?), etc...

Thanks,

Ken

Yes but I would limit my ammo choices to avoid over penetration.

Hornady ammo would be my choice. It feeds like FMJ but expands like a defensive hollow point should.

One solid hit in the chest and they are going down fast.

116209.jpg

To me the 7.62x39 is more of a SHTF round or making noise at the range. Shotgun or pistol for home defense.

I mostly agree with you. I like the higher round count with the 7.62. On the other hand...

....maybe that's my excuse for a Saiga 12.. "oh honey!!":lol:

No need to tell you what to use, plenty to do that already.

Use what you have trained on the most and are most comfortable with in your hands.

You are already at a disadvantage being on defense don't make it worse with a unfamiliar weapon.

Now it makes sense to chose that weapon before the training but thats your call. Whatever it may be set it up for low light use and train on that weapon at every opportunity. Make sure your family is also trained on weapons use if they are old enough just in case this happens when you are away or if you are taken down.

It is better to have a 22LR in your hands that feels like a part of you than a Saiga12 you've shot once. (not a recommendation only an example :rolleyes: )

Grim aint it, but not as grim as being caught unprepared.

Edit: Oh yeah some light ear plugs or better those electronic ear protectors kept with the weapon might be a real good idea, ruptured ear drums can actually incapacitate a person.

Edited by Rhodes1968

No need to tell you what to use, plenty to do that already.

Use what you have trained on the most and are most comfortable with in your hands.

You are already at a disadvantage being on defense don't make it worse with a unfamiliar weapon.

Now it makes sense to chose that weapon before the training but thats your call. Whatever it may be set it up for low light use and train on that weapon at every opportunity. Make sure your family is also trained on weapons use if they are old enough just in case this happens when you are away or if you are taken down.

It is better to have a 22LR in your hands that feels like a part of you than a Saiga12 you've shot once. (not a recommendation only an example :rolleyes: )

Grim aint it, but not as grim as being caught unprepared.

Edit: Oh yeah some light ear plugs or better those electronic ear protectors kept with the weapon might be a real good idea, ruptured ear drums can actually incapacitate a person.

I like the way you think. Youre right about getting comfortable with a weapon too. The wife (thank goodness), likes to shoot almost as much as I, and sees the sense in both of us having interchangeable ammo and, when needed, weapons. Thus she also wants a Saiga rifle.

Now I just have to talk her out of the kalishnakitty paint job. :lol:

Edited by Ken1961

I have a ruger P95 and the wife has a ruger SR9c, both with 124gr+p ranger T, and my converted saiga x39 w/ 122gr hps for real SHTF(120rds in mags). We are very familiar with our respectable weapons and the saiga, as we practice alot. It all boils down to what you shoot, and your mindfullness for penatration. I dont think anything is out of bounds (that will stop your enemy), as long as you know where the bullet will hit and end up.

As long as you know your weapon intimately, then know where the innocents are, you are better than most. Just make sure you practice and think about this stuff.

I would recommend a 20ga with a shorter barrel and #2 buckshot, for most anything and anyone IMO. That will be my next purchase.

datrowl,

My respect goes to those who live by the border, Its a shame our govt cant / wont keep us safe anymore. I know Im lucky to be in PA. The best to you, and your family.

Edited by Boomsick42

Ken, Thanks I have listened to a lot of people over the years and the thing that is constantly hammered is train train train. Home defense is a whole industry now, rightly so, lot of good gear out there but keep it simple, keep it clean, and think about it ahead of time is the best advice. Plan for the worst and read whats out there. Little things like how to shoot a pistol while keeping it close to your body to protect the weapon in close quarters are things I wouldn't have thought of on my own. Good luck.

Boom I think the 20g is a much ignored round and unjustly so, they are excellent for hunting small game and nothing to ignore in HD. I keep a single shot around just on general principle but I've thought many times about a Saiga 20. Frankly funds are not available but thats the only reason.

While not on the border myself it just is very sobering what those people are being subjected to because their government is too busy worrying about voting blocks instead of the safety of its citizens.

Edited by Rhodes1968

Though pulling back the charging handle of the AK and letting it go to chamber a round has a pretty distinctive sound. That alone makes it an attractive choice.

This is the only reason I don't have one in the chamber of my RPK. The .45 of course is locked and loaded. Stealth first, Noise once stealth is lost. :lolol:

• Like 1

There's a pretty cool site that shows the penetration of certain rounds, which would give ya a pretty good idea of the wall penetration of certain calibers. If you look up "box o truth", you should be able to find it quick enough. Just a little info that might sway a guy as to what might be the better home defence gun to use dependent upon his geographical locale.

Edited by fffpatriot

There's a pretty cool site that shows the penetration of certain rounds, which would give ya a pretty good idea of the wall penetration of certain calibers. If you look up "box o truth", you should be able to find it quick enough. Just a little info that might sway a guy as to what might be the better home defence gun to use dependent upon his geographical locale.

Thanks Partiot.

For those who don't feel the urge to excersise their "google-fu": The Box O' Truth

ETA: Good stuff there. If you haven't visited it before now then give it a try. You'll enjoy it.

Edited by Ken1961