Real gun sights & furniture VS airsoft clones

Well I wanted to start this by saying that i know that you get what you pay for but not everyone can dish out the prices for the "real" thing.

Ill start with furniture

The Grippods

post-34773-0-93828200-1321656901_thumb.jpg

found that the only difference was the price

airsoft...$10-$15

real...$50-$80

Rail ladder covers

post-34773-0-00892800-1321656923_thumb.jpg

There are two differences here. If you get the airsoft ones they are the same except for the color if you have "real" FDE color furniture then the airsoft "tan" will be noticably lighter. The airsoft ladders arent that much better in pricing so just buy the real stuff.

Index clips

post-34773-0-87793700-1321657038_thumb.jpg

I bought the airsoft ones from ebay to see what they were like. I found them to be the same and half the price as the LaRue ones.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Honestly I appreciate this thread. I understand both sides, but a lot of firearms stuff is just gouging plain and simple. A plastic handle should never cost more than $15.   Magpul charges $35 for

Even if one thinks that most airsoft accessories are crap, which I may tend to agree with, surely they could accept the possibility that SOME airsoft accessories MIGHT be good enough for firearm use.

Thank you....thats why Im doing this. To see, if any, airsoft accessories are the same as "real" firearm accessories. I am not trying to get others to go out and buy any airsoft stuff for their guns.

Posted Images

Magpul MBUS sights

post-34773-0-35774000-1321661318_thumb.jpg

Fisrt the price

airsoft...$20 a set

REAL...$80-$90 a set

now i did get one set that was a really bad copy/clone and i didnt even keep those lol. As for the quality they are or seen like the same polymer that magpul makes theirs from. Same adjustments for zero.

post-34773-0-83236600-1321661304.jpg

i changed out the front post on this set

post-34773-0-17692500-1321661338_thumb.jpg

when locked down they stay down when shooting

Aimpoint T-1 micro red dot

I got two of them...one with a QD riser. Both of them are clones so i paid $30 for one and $50 for the one that came with the riser. Now they are almst the same. One small difference in the elevation and windage nobs...the real T-1s dont stick out that much. They both are able to go from red to green dot. I havent tested how they keep their zero between the colors. The one I have on my 10/22 keeps itd zero just fine same as the one with the riser on my AR15. Im waiting on my bolt to get back from Pauly's and then ill test it on the saiga.

post-34773-0-60727400-1321662144_thumb.jpgpost-34773-0-57958800-1321662264_thumb.jpg

Edited by blkhwkguy

You will probably catch a lot of flack for using airsoft stuff, but I think it's an interesting topic. I could see plastic sights and rail covers being about the same, not so sure I would buy airsoft optics, though...

Thats the thing they arent plastic.....well the ladders, gripod, and index clips are a polymer but of the same quality. Believe me...I have both. The Aimpoint clones are metal with coated glass.

Edited by blkhwkguy

I've worked full time at a gun range for a few years now. I don't know which ones were and weren't airsoft optics, and which ones were just poor knock offs, but seeing all the people I've seen getting pissed at cheap optics that won't hold a zero I've decided that I'm always going to make sure I spend the extra bucks for a decent gun sight. Sorry for the run on sentence my friend James Beam was helping me with this post

ALL will look and work well out of the door..

after a bunch of 12 gauge through it.. be prepared to pick pieces up off the ground...

might work on a 22.. but put it on anything with recoil.. or anything you are actually going to use in a hard use situation..

I can NOT COUNT the amount of people who have bought crap and then cried about it.. know how many people I have ever heard who bought a real aimpoint and were disappointed? ZERO..

i would never use stuff made to play a game on real weapons.. they are designed for a game..

Well like i said i just did this as a test to see how they would stack up. For me so far they are holding up...Im just waiting to test them on the Saiga12.

let me save you the trouble..

I have read a million posts like these on this forum and others..\

Hey there,

While I was testing my recently converted Saiga 12 this weekend, the UAG Tactical VFG w/flashlight mount (http://www.amazon.co...s00_i00_details) broke! I had been using the unit on my AR15 without issue, but after the 5 shot on my Saiga 12, the right side where the mount meets the rail sheered clean off! Think I just "got a bad one" or is this unit not recommended for use on a shotgun?

Admittedly, it was one of the cheaper units out there at $29.00. I've got a Mission First Tactical REACT Torch and Vertical Grip unit ordered which is $45.00.

FIVE SHOTS and it was in pieces..

after a bunch of 12 gauge through it.. be prepared to pick pieces up off the ground...

might work on a 22.. but put it on anything with recoil.. or anything you are actually going to use in a hard use situation..

I can NOT COUNT the amount of people who have bought crap and then cried about it.. know how many people I have ever heard who bought a real aimpoint and were disappointed? ZERO..

i would never use stuff made to play a game on real weapons.. they are designed for a game..

Well like i said i just did this as a test to see how they would stack up. For me so far they are holding up...Im just waiting to test them on the Saiga12.

Hey there,

While I was testing my recently converted Saiga 12 this weekend, the UAG Tactical VFG w/flashlight mount (http://www.amazon.co...s00_i00_details) broke! I had been using the unit on my AR15 without issue, but after the 5 shot on my Saiga 12, the right side where the mount meets the rail sheered clean off! Think I just "got a bad one" or is this unit not recommended for use on a shotgun?

Admittedly, it was one of the cheaper units out there at $29.00. I've got a Mission First Tactical REACT Torch and Vertical Grip unit ordered which is $45.00.

Ok you can calm down bro.....i wanted to see for myself. I agree with you about the optics but when it comes to the ladders, clips, grippod, and MBUS i dont see the difference. Ive compared real to clone and with those they seem to be the same quality for a fraction of the cost.

Edited by blkhwkguy
  • Like 1

Hey there,

Ok you can calm down bro.....i wanted to see for myself. I agree with you about the optics but when it comes to the ladders, clips, grippod, and MBUS i dont see the difference. Ive compared real to clone and with those they seem to be the same quality for a fraction of the cost.

well when the airsoft "grippod" decides to take a shit while you are shooting your S12... and you lose control of the weapon and randomly spray off an extra 4 or 5 shots in god only knows what direction.. I hope I am not at the range shooting next to you that day.. rail covers? yeah ok.. sure whatever.. thing like forward grips? rail systems? important working components of the gun that govern your ability to CONTROL the weapon? you should probably not cheap out on those..

Let me say it one more time....I have BOTH real and airsoft versions and when it comes to the furniture, yes even the grippod, I see no difference in the quality. I have taken the saiga to the range with the grippod. Went through a couple hundred rounds with rapid fire and it didnt even loosen. Again Im just putting my opinion and experience out there for the guys that dont want to pay full price for gun furniture. Now when it comes to OPTICS, you do get what you pay for and I DO recommend that guys get good optics but to me its a waste of money to get the above "real" furniture.

I think for most part big difference is support china's economy or the us economy.from what i have seen most airsoft stuff is made in china

very true sir

Let me say it one more time....I have BOTH real and airsoft versions and when it comes to the furniture, yes even the grippod, I see no difference in the quality. I have taken the saiga to the range with the grippod. Went through a couple hundred rounds with rapid fire and it didnt even loosen. Again Im just putting my opinion and experience out there for the guys that dont want to pay full price for gun furniture. Now when it comes to OPTICS, you do get what you pay for and I DO recommend that guys get good optics but to me its a waste of money to get the above "real" furniture.

I think for most part big difference is support china's economy or the us economy.from what i have seen most airsoft stuff is made in china

very true sir

well then you are the exception because as others will tell you. "my cheap XXX fell apart today" is a fairly common thread topic here and elsewhere.. if you want to take items designed to play a game.. and rely on them to perform on a weapon.. then by all means go for it.. but I would let the people at the range next to you know what is going on so they can give you some space..

a couple hundred rounds is your benchmark for reliability test?

yeah.. I am sure your airsoft stuff will perform just fine.. now just to be clear.. I am no jerk off elitist gun snob.. but what I am is a quality snob.. I see nothing wrong with investing the most minute amount of funds you have into your gun to make it work better.. and I respect that.. not everyone has endless amounts of income.. but what I do see as being a waste.. is taking that same amount of money and buying the most shit you possibly can to make your gun "look" a part it is not.. you are only kidding yourself..

a couple parts of quality that make the gun work better > a bunch of useless low quality game grade accessories..

but hey.. what do I know..

• Like 1

Im going to let you know that i dont do whats called "mall ninja" my guns out. I like and want quality products on my weapon systems. As for my "bench test" amount of rounds its not or i wouldve said it. I just said after a couple hundred rounds the grippod didnt even loosen. If youve seen SO many of these topics why even check it out and read it let alone reply to it. As for me going to the range...I really dont have to ecause I can just go shooting in my back yard. So dont worry Ill be the only around lol. Also i havent used alot of "game" grade stuff on my weapons...the grippod is the only thing that could fail(unless the rail covers pop off) and i dont think it will.

Im going to let you know that i dont do whats called "mall ninja" my guns out. I like and want quality products on my weapon systems. As for my "bench test" amount of rounds its not or i wouldve said it. I just said after a couple hundred rounds the grippod didnt even loosen. If youve seen SO many of these topics why even check it out and read it let alone reply to it. As for me going to the range...I really dont have to ecause I can just go shooting in my back yard. So dont worry Ill be the only around lol. Also i havent used alot of "game" grade stuff on my weapons...the grippod is the only thing that could fail(unless the rail covers pop off) and i dont think it will.

I share my knowledge so that you don't get someone to do something I find unsafe..

while you might just be in your yard.. there are many other people reading this forum..

if one of them listens to you.. well lets just say.. it could be a problem..

the point is.. if you are not trying to be a "mall ninja" why even have a "grip pod" on a Saiga 12.. is a semi automatic shotgun something that really needs a bipod.. think about it..

when things break on your gun WHILE you are shooting.. it creates a whole new world of dangerous variables..

Well seeing as I am a retired combat veteran with the loss of my right arm....yes it is needed

your service has no bearing on my opinion of what you are stating here..

to be clear.. I appreciate what you or ANYONE In the armed forces do..

but I am explaining to you that it seems unsafe based on everything I have read on this forum and others.... and stand by that opinion.. without any disrespect intended towards you personally..

Edited by vladtepes

Honestly I appreciate this thread. I understand both sides, but a lot of firearms stuff is just gouging plain and simple. A plastic handle should never cost more than $15.

Magpul charges $35 for the AFG. It's neat, but don't tell me they aren't making a $30 profit on each one.

• Like 3

your situation is obviously one I can not relate to and I apologize for the "mall ninja" comment..

I have nothing but respect for the military..

I stand by the standpoint that it is unsafe to use components like that on critical areas.. especially areas that partially control the gun..

but again.. no personal offense intended.. and my apologies for any comments that were of a personal nature..

Honestly I appreciate this thread. I understand both sides, but a lot of firearms stuff is just gouging plain and simple. A plastic handle should never cost more than $15.

Magpul charges $35 for the AFG. It's neat, but don't tell me they aren't making a $30 profit on each one.

My F-ing point exactly....thank you!

the shiny one

that gets you seen and killed

Most of it is made in china. Even the "real stuff."

There are better deals out there, like Romi folding stocks for $25. Bolt on and stout steel.

Well seeing as I am a retired combat veteran with the loss of my right arm....yes it is needed

You really have no right arm and shoot a Saiga 12? Wow I cannot shoot lefty and definitely not one handed lefty on a Saiga 12.

the point is.. if you are not trying to be a "mall ninja" why even have a "grip pod" on a Saiga 12.. is a semi automatic shotgun something that really needs a bipod.. think about it..

I thought about it. Bi pod? What is your problem mall ninja? Where are you going to need a bipod for a shotgun? Steading a shot from a roof top to hit something out 300 yards?

the shiny one

that gets you seen and killed

Most of it is made in china. Even the "real stuff."

There are better deals out there, like Romi folding stocks for $25. Bolt on and stout steel.

You really have no right arm and shoot a Saiga 12? Wow I cannot shoot lefty and definitely not one handed lefty on a Saiga 12.

I thought about it. Bi pod? What is your problem mall ninja? Where are you going to need a bipod for a shotgun? Steading a shot from a roof top to hit something out 300 yards?

yes only my left arm....and I was right handed so i had to convert my AR to a lefty. And yes i can shoot the saiga with my left arm but thats also the reason for the grip/bipod for when I get tired not for precision shotgun shooting lol

The right two are airsoft and the left is "real" but the middle and left one are identical in every way.

Here are three grippods

post-34773-0-16014500-1321673479.jpg

witch one is the airsoft one?

visually it would be hard to tell.. hell there is a company that makes airsoft grade DD rail systems.. and they are even marked DD..

visually I am not sure I could pick it out.. but as I said to you via PM..

I can not tell you how many times I have heard the following..

"I got this cheap scope mount off of ebay and my scope won't hold zero"

"I got this airsoft grip and it broke in half"

"I got this aimpoint clone and the lense fell out"

"I bought this cheap rail and the mounting screws stripped out"

so because of that.. as i was saying.. even if the project cost more.. and thus takes more time because I have to save longer.. I would rather spend more upfront and KNOW that the gun is reliable..

Hey there,

well when the airsoft "grippod" decides to take a shit while you are shooting your S12... and you lose control of the weapon and randomly spray off an extra 4 or 5 shots in god only knows what direction.. I hope I am not at the range shooting next to you that day.. rail covers? yeah ok.. sure whatever.. thing like forward grips? rail systems? important working components of the gun that govern your ability to CONTROL the weapon? you should probably not cheap out on those..

ive said this before and ill say it again..... if you lose control of your weapon because of an accessory that comes loose or breaks then you should NOT own a firearm.....ive broken plenty of things fake and real or just things coming loose and not once have i ever even come close to ever losing control of my weapon.

The injection molding marks are visible on the left. Why is the right one so shiny?

bi pod - precision for long waits for a shot or FAMG

grippod - used to tactically set the barrel for shots

Unless you have a FA

I dont have the spending money for a grip because I never trained with one and the only thing I really want in a gun is more magazines.

ive said this before and ill say it again..... if you lose control of your weapon because of an accessory that comes loose or breaks then you should NOT own a firearm.....ive broken plenty of things fake and real or just things coming loose and not once have i ever even come close to ever losing control of my weapon.

Ever fired a Glock with a slipping reset spring? FA all out in one trigger pull and that is hard to handle. I'm not saying your wrong, I'm just saying.

• Like 1