Good idea, crap idea or already been done?

So I was thinking about the next optic for my AR. In my mind, I'm thinking what do I want it to do. Answer: Everything, quick target aquisition, and out to 400 yrds. There are options out there like the magnafied eotech that flips over but it looks kinda funny having the magnificaiton hanging off when not in use.

But I was thinking, what if the handguard, or part of it, twisted and locked. So I could have the red dot, then if I needed a long shot, twist the handguard bringing up a 4x scope. Easier on an AR handguard because it's already round.

So is it a good idea, crap, or already been done?

Well I was gonna say good idea but then It occured to me you can already buy acog/red dot combo's with the red dot mounted on top. You can also mount a red dot on any scope with the right rings. So I would say crap. Sorry but I would just use a scope/red dot combo mounted together. It would be hard to come up with a better/faster/more efficient setup IMO.

Interesting idea, would never have occurred to me. It would be very difficult to build a system that would keep a reasonable zero.

Agreed, holding zero would be a big issue.

Mizombiekilla-For what you just asked, I'd suggest IOR Valdadas 1.1-4 scope, it works great for up close with two eyes open and gives you magnification when needed. I'll be shameless and throw a plug in here....I have one for sale, price is negotiable.

Sadly I don't really want to get rid of it but I truly no longer have a need for it.

Edit to add: I also find it much better then an acog and a red dot in a more compact package.

Edited by YARP

I use a BoBro QD mount that allows my Meopta scope to be removed for use of the BUIS. When you slap the scope back on it always goes back to zero. Way better than the LaRue and GGG mounts. I have had them all.

The meopta is as clear as a SB and can be used with the illuminated reticle on or off with a nice variant of intensity. on one power you can use both eyes open for CQB and zoom in to 4x with amazing clarity. The reticle is not on the focal plane so it does not get big when you zoom in.

Or like big-J mentioned, an ACOG/Docter combo. No canting required.

Doesn't that require you to change your cheek-weld? I know you can set up the offset optic and buttstock so that there's no change to your weld.

Not much. If they didn't work, the Military wouldn't be buying them.

Read about the Bindon aiming concept with ACOGs. Not as good as using a standalone close range optic, but its very effective.

Only works with ACOGs that have the fiber optic illuminator during daytime. Our TA01NSNs did not have that, only the Tritium insert for nighttime.

Or like big-J mentioned, an ACOG/Docter combo. No canting required.

Doesn't that require you to change your cheek-weld? I know you can set up the offset optic and buttstock so that there's no change to your weld.

Not much. If they didn't work, the Military wouldn't be buying them.

Saw a lot of those back in '05, haven't seen any recently.