Will not eat 2 3/4 Remington 1390 FPS ammo :(

I just took my new Saiga 12 out this afternoon for the first time; I only picked up two boxes of ammo and since I did not have a mag with me when I was getting ammo, I thought it may be safer to get 2 3/4" rounds (was told this would work well) verses some 3" that may be a little long...anyway, to make a long story short ALL the (semi high velocity) Remington 6 and 8 shot rounds failed to eject on all gas regulator settings:( I thought these Saiga's ate most everything :( Any settings I need to look at? Not one good ejection!

It shouldn't have any problems out of the box with 1350 or 1390 shot shells - usually the hangups come with the 1100 or 1150 bird shot rounds; that is, until there's been a couple hundred rounds through it, and then you should be able to mix & match everything and anything and it'll throw it downrange without any trouble.

It is a basic Saiga 12 with 19" barrel. It did have the Saiga T6 stock kit installed (just hand guards/etc, nothing mechanical). I used both the stock 4 or 5 round mag that came with the Saiga and the 10 round mag that came with the Tapco kit). Same results on both :( No Love...

post-38824-0-19978900-1325295352.jpg

Grab a beer, sit in front of the TV and proceed to work the action until your arm is dead tired. Then switch arms and do it again. Take note of how it wears the paint and metal on the hammer, underside of the carrier and carrier rails on the receiver. Some break in helps tremendously with new S12's.

Like the poster above me said, a light load like that doesnt help cycling any, no matter how fast it is. Try some 1oz to 1-1/8oz loads and only use the factory 5rd magazine for testing purposes.

Edited by Mullet Man
  • Like 1

Damn someone close to home,

Could be weight of load. 7/8 oz.. With the lower weight and the pressure at the gas ports may not be enough. Just my opinion.

I am gona go with Tapeworm3 (what a name) big_smile.gif Try some wally world bulk. 1 1/8 oz load, makes it kick harder.

Mine did the same at first, took a few 10-15 shots to get it to pull the spent shell out, them 60-70 more to get it ejecting right.

Lube the extractor pin well, lube the action as well.

I use #2 setting on the gas plug, and mine works well.

We're gonna want more info about the gun and any and all modifications done to it, the magazine you used, more info about the ammo etc. etc.

Saigas can be made to "eat most everything".

Mine don't like cheesecake. Other than that, they eat most anything ;)

1) Check the gas ports, how many are visible or can be found with a pick of some sort.

Are they clear or partially obstructed? Sometimes they are not drilled completely through, or are wrong size for number of ports.

2) It isn't broken in yet.

Either do as Mullet Man suggested, or have more fun by firing 250+ high brass through it.

These are often rough from the factory, rough edges, burrs and the rails coated with finish.

Need to smooth all this out.

3) Contrary to popular belief, lube it well.

4) These are low brass loads and lightly loaded.

S12s are military shotguns, designed to eat high brass/full power loads, not the cheap shit we want them to eat.

You're trying to feed them $.99 burgers, they want the steak buffet.

5) Not all S12s are created equal.

Some will eat anything right out of the box, others not so much.

Most will simply need to be broken in, a few will need some work/parts.

Some as simple as a 'Low Brass Reliability Kit', http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-967/Saiga-12-low-brass/Detail

Or having an experienced smith reshape and polish your bolt/hammer, http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/61900-paulys-glass-bolt-system/

Some, if severely under gassed, may need to go as far as having another port drilled or ports enlarged.

• Like 2

This and a mixture of slugs/buck shot is what I broke mine in with and had no problems. I assume since everything that you have done on your saiga looks purely cosmetic that you have the stock gas plug. You are making sure you turn the gas plug till it clicks into position on the 1 or 2? and it should definitely cycle high brass on setting 1. If not, like others have mentioned, hand crank the bolt carrier a few hundred times, check the gas ports and report back to us on that, or try a heavier weight ammo to break it in...

Good luck!

We're gonna want more info about the gun and any and all modifications done to it, the magazine you used, more info about the ammo etc. etc.

Mine don't like cheesecake. Other than that, they eat most anything wink.png

Twinkies?

1) Check the gas ports, how many are visible or can be found with a pick of some sort.

Are they clear or partially obstructed? Sometimes they are not drilled completely through, or are wrong size for number of ports.

2) It isn't broken in yet.

Either do as Mullet Man suggested, or have more fun by firing 250+ high brass through it.

These are often rough from the factory, rough edges, burrs and the rails coated with finish.

Need to smooth all this out.

3) Contrary to popular belief, lube it well.

4) These are low brass loads and lightly loaded.

S12s are military shotguns, designed to eat high brass/full power loads, not the cheap shit we want them to eat.

You're trying to feed them $.99 burgers, they want the steak buffet.

5) Not all S12s are created equal.

Some will eat anything right out of the box, others not so much.

Most will simply need to be broken in, a few will need some work/parts.

Some as simple as a 'Low Brass Reliability Kit', http://store.carolin...ow-brass/Detail

Or having an experienced smith reshape and polish your bolt/hammer, http://forum.saiga-1...ss-bolt-system/

Some, if severely under gassed, may need to go as far as having another port drilled or ports enlarged.

I am new to shotguns all together so I thought a high velocity round would be the best thing; I tried some wally world high brass 00 buck and it worked well; now I just need to go pick up a few hundred rounds of the good stuff and break it in :D

Thanks!

Thanks to everyone for the input; you were all on track with the high brass verses the low brass. Does anyone have low brass working (not that I need it to...I just need to know what works for mine) after they get their seiga broke in?

Yeppers... Goes through low brass with no problems what so ever. I had no problems at all getting mine to do so, it would shoot anything as a stock saiga... Others have not been so lucky unfortunately. There are a lot of fixes out there, just depends on the problem your's is having.

If you read some of the stickies, and use the search for FTE's, undergassed, won't cycle low brass, etc,. you will find hundreds of topics that would be great reading material to understanding some of the issues you may be having.

Thanks to everyone for the input; you were all on track with the high brass verses the low brass. Does anyone have low brass working (not that I need it to...I just need to know what works for mine) after they get their seiga broke in?

I don't know about any seigas, but as for Saiga 12s... I was lucky, mine has ate almost anything right outta'da box.

As far as I can ascertain, most folks S12s run a selection of low brass loads after breaking-in or some minor work.

I had to drill my three port gun out to to 3/32 to get it to fire correctly, as well as slightly mod the main gas port on the block so it wouldn't block two of the three holes. After that, it worked fantastic, EXCEPT with Wally world win universal. It loves Federal. Using my gunfixer four position gas plug, I can cycle the Federal bulk 100% of the time on gas setting 3, and about 80% on gas setting 2. Buckshot and number 2 water fowl shot are 100% on 1+, and slugs are 100% on -1 setting.

Now I do have an unconverted virgin Saiga 12 that is 100% reliable with the Federal bulk with absolutely zero mods. Just put the stock plug on setting 2 and shoot. I wish my converted gun had been that reliable, but no two Saigas are created equal I guess.

Edited by DLT

Mine don't like cheesecake. Other than that, they eat most anything wink.png

Twinkies?

They will eat Twinkies or go to the safe hungry.... I run a tight ship around here wink.png

Edited by evlblkwpnz