threading a .591" barrel

Well, I cut the shroud off of my Saiga yesterday. I tried to thread it with a 14mm die but it wouldn't cut. My father (30 years experience as a machinist) had the brilliant idea of taking some calipers to the barrel. Looks like I have a .591" barrel, unlike the .571" barrels most of them have...

We're going to try to set it up in our biggest lathe at work, but neither of us are sure if it will actually fit. So, I really have two questions;

1. Since it needs to be turned down for whatever thread I want to put on it, is there any reason to use 14mm instead of 1/2x28? The brake I'm interested in (Spike's Dynacomp) is apparently going to be available in 14mm eventually, but other than that there is nothing that interests me for 14mm brakes. I originally wanted 14mm so I wouldn't have to turn the barrel down, but so much for that!

2. If we can't fit the barreled action in the lathe, can someone recommend a good smith that I can send it to for threading? Bonus points if they do cerakote since I want to get it refinished when tax returns roll in anyway.

Edited by DFM56

So long as you're taking a lathe to it, might as well go for 1/2"-28 threads. There seem to be many more options for .223 brakes and flash hiders using AR-15 threads than AK threads. This isn't to say a .223 projectile wouldn't work with a 7.62x39mm muzzle device, but the effect may be diminished.

• Like 1

I threaded my 0.591" barrel using a .223 tat, cheap chinese die and lots of oil. The hardest part was getting it started. Although I wouldn't recommend it if you have other machine tools, it can be done at home. Currently the rifle has a 14mm x 1 L to 24mm x 1 R adapter and an AK-74 brake.

Another thing I considered when starting this project was to turn down the very end of the barrel to allow the die to get started easier.

• Like 1

Bit of an update. It won't fit in the lathe. I mean, it kind of did, but we didn't want to start it because it probably would have come loose and killed someone. So I guess it didn't really fit...

Anyway, I'll be calling around in the next few days to find a place that can do this. If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them.

We might be able to rig to the tool you linked to the spindle of a lathe and clamp the barrel to the tailstock. I would be much more comfortable using it that way than doing it with a cordless drill.. Right now we're going to try to stand the rifle up off of the bed of a mill and circle interpolate around the bore. Hopefully that works, but the dinzag tool is second on my list if it doesn't.

I remember reading somewhere or seeing it on youtube , that in a case like that with a .591" barrel you use the 1/2x28 RH DIE first , to reduce the size of the barrel ... then you use the 14 x1 LH DIE to do the thread you need and finish .

I think it will be a lot easier than taking it to a gunsmith and taking off the barrel .

I remember reading somewhere or seeing it on youtube , that in a case like that with a .591" barrel you use the 1/2x28 RH DIE first , to reduce the size of the barrel ... then you use the 14 x1 LH DIE to do the thread you need and finish .

I think it will be a lot easier than taking it to a gunsmith and taking off the barrel .

this doesn't make sense to me. 14mm is larger than 1/2 inch.

14mm = .551"

.500" = 12.7mm

Nominal thread size is typically 2% smaller than named so a 1/2-28 threaded bbl measures .490 thats because standards call for a 75% of Pitch thread engagement.

this doesn't make sense to me. 14mm is larger than 1/2 inch.

14mm = .551"

.500" = 12.7mm

Nominal thread size is typically 2% smaller than named so a 1/2-28 threaded bbl measures .490 thats because standards call for a 75% of Pitch thread engagement.

I must to had it wrong ... then it is another Die`s size , but I remember reading that this guy used another Die size to reduce the barrel as an effective method of doing it without the need for the Lathe and that the Die was right handed , also . Then , he used the 14 to 1 LH Die to finish . Obviously , I got the size wrong . I think it would be worth to look it up , in case it cut really work ... I read it about 6 months ago or so . Maybe it was a 5/8 to 24 RH... ? Am sorry I can not be more accurate on the spec ... I just can`t remember the damn Die`s size .

Edited by josey88
  • 3 weeks later...

I got a larger barrel also and ordered the kit from Dinzag to thread my barrel it is the same size as the HK thread different but you have to go with the diameter of the barrel to fit the FH. He has a scale on his site to tell which dies to use on barrel diameter. Good kit worked well still on the rifle. He had a FH for that thread pitch in stock and it works great. Good luck.

opps, forgot to update this! We took it in a few weeks ago, made a fixture for the bridgeport and circle-interpolated around the bore. The normal 14mm die worked fine after that, so it's threaded now. It shot very well with just a slant brake I had kicking around, can't wait to get something a bit better.

I find it funny that we have a lathe big enough to make drive shafts for industrial mixers (I can't even carry one of those things without help!) and we had to 'turn' the barrel down on a mill.. Should be concentric enough for a 7.62 brake and thats all I care about.

Good post, thanks for the information and update.

I'm awaiting my 1/2 x 28 TAT and DPMS Miculek AR muzzle brake, having die and handle on hand already.

Trying to list all my options, including SHTF scenarios.

---

P.S.: No blood or tears, but plenty of sweat.

Got my barrel threaded.

Came out pretty good and works fine, but had to machine barrel OD down to ~.520.

I'd never finish threading without such prep work.

Edited by Sgt. Raven
  • Like 1
  • 9 months later...

Good post, thanks for the information and update.

I'm awaiting my 1/2 x 28 TAT and DPMS Miculek AR muzzle brake, having die and handle on hand already.

Trying to list all my options, including SHTF scenarios.

---

P.S.: No blood or tears, but plenty of sweat.

Got my barrel threaded.

Came out pretty good and works fine, but had to machine barrel OD down to ~.520.

I'd never finish threading without such prep work.

I know I am totally resurecting a dead thread here... But Sgt., you machined the muzzle down your self?

I am wanting to get my .223 threaded to 12"x28 and am having a hard time finding someone local to accomplish this.

Yes, I did it by myself.

Preparation is the key here, and patience is a must.

If you ever threaded anything, then threading is not a big deal.

TURNING YOUR BARREL DOWN IS!

It is entirely up to you, but making few inquiries and checking on TOTAL cost (including UPS-ing your gun at very inexpensive "long rifle" rate both ways) might not be bad at all.

Some customizing shops post decent rates for threading the Saiga barrel.

I'll follow up with PM.

Edited by Sgt. Raven