saiga 030 gas system

My first dissapointing impresions after disassembling the legion IZ-433 I have found:

1) The front handgaurd retainer is only a slip fit on the barrel, no locking lever. It can slip forward during firing.

2) The gas system is non self adjusting as I first thought. It is fixed, and probably tuned for a limited range of ammo. probably military / law enforcement/ buckshot loads. There is no compensating device present. This system could be easily duplicated but why?

3) Front buttstock latch spring is installed in lower handgaurd. Latch and openings not present.

Many more small differences.

Pics on the way

Edited by RamLake

The front fits like a krink. What is the problem? Does the rear slip out or something? I guess I'm not seeing the problem here...

It looks unfired. Did you shoot it?

Acually not like a krink at all.

Krink has a locking cam and lever on lower retainer just like any other AK. This does not. that's my concern.

The fat barrel under the grip must be preventing from using the "standard" ak style retainer lever. Wonder of the Vepr's are different?

In regards to adjustability, I have read several reviews on the Vepr 12 that ran 24g target load birdshot fine. One guy had problems using paper shells (they make those still???)

28g loads worked fine too.

I'm anxious to get mine.. Still need that damn fax # for legion

The fat barrel under the grip must be preventing from using the "standard" ak style retainer lever. Wonder of the Vepr's are different?

In regards to adjustability, I have read several reviews on the Vepr 12 that ran 24g target load birdshot fine. One guy had problems using paper shells (they make those still???)

Granted barrel dia. would not allow "standard" AK style lever butt this should not have given them a reason for no locking mechanism at all?

Yes I hope light loads work for I am not a fan of polishing anything on an AK. Obviously proper breakin and some tuning works but I don't want a bling military weapon.

I doubt the russian millitary are sending their weapons off to have them honed and polished.

I should have video testing soon.

When you get Legion's fax number, please post it here. I need it too.

I dug through my old emails from alex from legion USA and in his signature was this fax #

305-436-3753

which is a FL area code atleast.. there 888 # goes no where and says the voicebox is full then disconnects

When you get Legion's fax number, please post it here. I need it too.

I dug through my old emails from alex from legion USA and in his signature was this fax #

305-436-3753

which is a FL area code atleast.. there 888 # goes no where and says the voicebox is full then disconnects

My invoice says Legion USA, Boston, MA...

• Like 1

thats the weird thing. FL is what the import stamps say on the side of the guns. The Boston MA # hasn't ever worked for me.

the two real emails I have for them are:

alex@legionusainc.com

jacob@legionusainc.com

Also the checkout is not a secure website.....no HTTPS:// so don't use debit cards....no protection at all.

• Like 1

from the picture it looks as though the barrel thickens keeping the retainer from sliding, though i may be looking at the wrong side. Is there any info on a true 030 gas system that we can compare this one to? I hope it off gasses the excess.

I think all we have to go by is images. It's the same gas system as the "military" version as well as the Vepr 12.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/20380-new-model-saigas/

I have read two things, a shorter spring and puck (shortened by one "band/groove") will allow cheap bird shot. And others claim it runs 28g shells no problem.

But, in reality, I dont think this gun was intended to shoot much birdshot. We will just have to fiddle w/ it so we can shoot cheap wally world ammo.

Granted barrel dia. would not allow "standard" AK style lever butt this should not have given them a reason for no locking mechanism at all?

Yes I hope light loads work for I am not a fan of polishing anything on an AK. Obviously proper breakin and some tuning works but I don't want a bling military weapon.

I doubt the russian millitary are sending their weapons off to have them honed and polished.

Well, to each his own, only my internals are polished so you can't tell from the outside of the weapon, but you are correct, the Russians don't need polishing since the gun is designed to cycle ammunition that is more powerful than ours...

You are right, Russian military and police don' t polish their Vepr-12 and Saiga-030 they use magnum shell (44g) without problems - no any reason to use light weight shot shells (24-28 g)!!!

Polish guys who want to use 28 g for some reason. After several hundred shots Vepr-12 eats 28 g without polish, don't like polish upgrade puck and spring to short versions for stable work with 28 g shells.

You are right, Russian military and police don' t polish their Vepr-12 and Saiga-030 they use magnum shell (44g) without problems - no any reason to use light weight shot shells (24-28 g)!!!

Polish guys who want to use 28 g for some reason. After several hundred shots Vepr-12 eats 28 g without polish, don't like polish upgrade puck and spring to short versions for stable work with 28 g shells.

Sounds like testing is needed to verify which popular american ammo operates properly and which tappet / puck and spring operates without rear truniun damage.

Well, to each his own, only my internals are polished so you can't tell from the outside of the weapon, but you are correct, the Russians don't need polishing since the gun is designed to cycle ammunition that is more powerful than ours...

So their less than lethal is also more powerful than ours?

One guy had problems using paper shells (they make those still???)

Yes, they started to produce them again for hunters, they calld Fetter Retro 32g, (12/65 and 12/70) and they cost twice as much as plastic shells 32 g.

The paper shells shred in a self loading action. Not recommended in S-12's!!

Sounds like testing is needed to verify which popular american ammo operates properly and which tappet / puck and spring operates without rear truniun damage.

So their less than lethal is also more powerful than ours?

Well, one would have to assume, unless they build the sporter Saigas that they send to us differently than their own...

One guy had problems using paper shells (they make those still???)

Yes, they started to produce them again for hunters, they calld Fetter Retro 32g, (12/65 and 12/70) and they cost twice as much as plastic shells 32 g.

The paper shells shred in a self loading action. Not recommended in S-12's!!

Of cause ;) only for classic 1-2 barrels shotguns!