Best ammo for 7.62x39 siaga?

Hey All,

I am looking forward to purchasing a 7.62x39 Saiga in the next few weeks. I have done research online looking for cheap ammo for the Saiga. It seems that everyone has different preferences. Any recommendations of what ammo will be safe, cleaner and more accurate?

I am a new shooter and is only looking forward for shooting targets. Also any recommendations on what brand of scope to use for 100 yard range? Something for a beginner thats not too expensive.

Thanks!

I am a fan of Golden Tiger myself. If i cant get that, then i usually get Brown Bear, or Wolf Military Classic. If you can, try and find a couple different brands and get a few boxes of each, then figure out which brand your particular Saiga likes the best.

Regarding the optics, my advice is learn to use your iron sites and spend the optic money on ammo. Learn to become more proficient with the rifle by putting more rounds down range vs. spending money on a scope. A $100 scope is damn near 500rds of ammo, which is a good long couple days of target practice. My $0.02, not trying to be preachy.

Edited by Mullet Man
  • Like 2

Golden tiger is about the best of the russian ammo. Its very dependable and a bit more accurate than the run of the mill russian stuff. Sometimes its hard to get, and its a little more expensive than say tula or wolf or bear. Unless you buy 1000, its around 7 bucks a box (20rds), where the others are 5. The other option is to get american, winchester, remington, or federal, but you will pay between 12 and 18 dollars a box. American ammo is more accurate and less dirty, but I personally will not spend three times what I pay for russian.

Honestly bro, go to walmart and pick up some tula fmj. When you get home order some bear or some other brand off the computer. Try a few different kinds and see what your rifle best. They will all work well, they all have in mine.

My rifle really likes hp ammo. Its all I buy, except for at walfart, (which only carries tula fmj). I get a little better 100yd accuracy with it, as have some guys ive talked to. Plus I like the fact of it possibly expanding. Which ever hp you choose will blow the shit out of a gallon water jug, way better than an fmj. Its not realistic media for true soft tissue expansion, but its fun. Also, once or twice my action jammed while using fmj on the first pull back. It could have been that my mags were loaded too ful, or the bullet was a bit longer, either way, I still like the hps.

Soft point ammo is sometimes a toss up. I know my rifle shaves a little piece off the tip(and Im not alone), which I dont like. I couldnt tell if it affected 100yd accuracy though (some guys say it does), since when I found that out, I shot the rest from short range and never bought more. I didnt want to spend any more money on something that didnt work just right, as the hps have.

About optics, I will repeat mullet man and say to stick with irons for a bit. Spend the money on ammo and shoot the crap out of that new gun. Get good with the irons and then you will have a better point of reference for wether or not the optic is doing you any good.

I have put Brown Bear FMJ and HP, Wolf Classic FMJ and HP, Tulammo HP, Golden Tiger FMJ and KSP FMJ. At 100 yards with the iron sight or red dot, the groups were pretty much the same no matter what the ammo. I have settled on KSP as my new range ammo becasue it's inexpensive ($189/1000) and shoots well in my Saiga, SKS and Mak-90.

Another vote for Golden Tiger, the stuff rocks. Wolf black box is probably about the cheapest besides yugo. But its known for inaccuracy and being dirty.

The Golden tiger is clean and accurate. Military classic is good too. The bear brands are all liked too. Golden tiger is usually harder to find and more expensive. The bears are usually in stock most places. I havnt seen military classic in some time.

Im also a huge fan of the Iron sights. Ive never been big on optics. But Im sure you will find much help here on the scope issue.

Also any recommendations on what brand of scope to use for 100 yard range? Something for a beginner thats not too expensive.

I have a Weaver Nitrex 1.5-5x32 scope on one of my BCM middy AR-15.it will work fine on your Saiga and not break the bank. It has superb glass (95% light transmission) for the price. On 1.5x it's easy to shoot with both eyes open and then dial it up to 5x for shots out to 300 yards. Natchez has the Nitrex scope on closeout for $120.

You could use a UTG 5th gen detachable mount with a set of low scope rings with the Nitrex scope and have a nice set up for well less than $200.

Edited by wnycollector

mine likes golden tiger best, followed by winchester and yugo surp. Like has been mentioned above, get a couple boxes of a few different brands and see what your rifle likes best.

As for optics, I would recommend changing out the front sight post to a skinny post, the factory one covers up too much of the target for my tastes. I have a redfield 3 - 9 scope on top of it, and it is really nice. I have also changed the rear sight to one off a RPK because its windage adjustable

I just bought some Russian 123gr FMG with lacqured steel case at $102 for 500 rounds. I haven't gotten it yet. It comes in white boxes without a brand name. The reason I got it was the lacqured coating for better long term storage. I will post how it does when I get itpost-31392-0-61865300-1327334731.jpg

HOW MUCH DID YOU GET THIS AMMO FOR AND FROM WHERE?

THANK YOU ALL. IT SEEMS THAT I HAVE TO TRY OUT A FEW BRANDS SO I CAN SEE FOR MYSELF WHAT SHOOTS BETTER FOR ME. GREAT INFO FROM EVERYONE.

I just bought some Russian 123gr FMG with lacqured steel case at $102 for 500 rounds. I haven't gotten it yet. It comes in white boxes without a brand name. The reason I got it was the lacqured coating for better long term storage. I will post how it does when I get itpost-31392-0-61865300-1327334731.jpg

The above is KSAP, and I haven't heard much about it.

AimSurplus has it in stock,

Special Introductory offer!

20rd box: $3.99

1,000rds (50 boxes): $189.50 ($3.79/box)

New Russian manufacture, Klimovsk Specialized Ammunition Plant (KSAP) 7.62x39 ammunition.

Features a 123grn lead core full bi-metal jacketed bullet, lacquer coated steel case and non-corrosive berdan primer.

I've stacked the Yugo milsurp 123gr FMJ high and deep, and plan on more... This seems to my 7.62s favorite flavor.

I have a good stash of Uly too. Have used Wolf and Tula... Man these are AKs, they're going to eat anything you put in them.

Find what gives the best accuracy out of your rifle.

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 2
The above is KSAP, and I haven't heard much about it.

AimSurplus has it in stock,

Over at ar15.com in the industry forum Bryan from Aimsurplus posed this about KSP ammo "it's the same ammo we have listed as WPA right now, both made at the same factory, just one is a generic box"

I shot a 100 rounds of the stuff through my Saiga and it was as accurate as Brown Bear, Wolf Mil classic or Tulammo that I was shooting along wiith it. I dont currently have any WPA to compair it to.

Mine digests whatever it's fed, but accuracy depends. Here's my lineup(that I've used), most to least accurate:

FMJ/HP

1. Yugo M67(corrosive, but true milsurp)

2. Tulammo HP

3. Winchester White Box

4. Silver Bear

5. Tulammo FMJ

6. Wolf MilClassic(2008/2009 manufacture) 8M3 HP

7. Wolf MilClassic FMJ(2007-2008 manufacture)--worst out the bore

SP/Poly tipped

1. Hornady V-max/SST(I'll pull V-max and reseat SST for med game)

2. Winchester Super-x(tie)

2. Remington Core-loc(tie)

3. Silver Bear 125gr

4. Golden Bear 123gr(some 2007 leftovers I had)

5. Wolf 123gr

6. Wolf 154gr(past 100 yds, it drops like a rock)

The Remington/Winchester loads were a tie out of my bore. I even stagger loaded them once, and both performed almost as good as the Hornady redone with SST bullets.

I agree with others, learn the irons before optics. For a mount, skip the UTG stuff and go with a Belarus BP-02 from Kalinka Optics. Little heavier, about $20 more than UTG, but a better/more solid mount. For a 100 yd scope, stick with a 4x-6x. I have a 4x32, and will push it to 150 yds sometimes. If I'm goping past 150 yds, then I grab my 6.8SPC AR or .308 bolt gun. I had a 4-12x40 on mine, and about 5x seemed to be a happy medium. YMMV.

• 2 weeks later...

Brown/Silver Bear, Uly, and WWB all have equivalent accuracy for me in FMJ. Winchester/Remington HP/SP VERY slight accuracy edge vs the others. I have had no failures to feed or fire with any of these. At 30 yards 5in or under groups (usually under). At 100 yards 6-10in groups.

For optics I am very pleased with my Weaver 1-3x. It is about as small a scope as you can get and in a UTG side mount w/Burris tactical rings it has held zero for over a year. I have a Leupold VX1 on my bolt action .308 and I consider the Weaver just a little lower quality in a side by side comp.