i wonder why bush doesnt sign the environmental treaty? then again, why would you move somewhere.......70 feet below sea level.....two miles from the coast?

gotta love america. we got our priorities ass backwards.

i hope new orleans is still there next week...... :(

alexandria, la. here!

40 mph wind is all we got.

other than a shit load of evacuees.

thought we were going to get another LILI.

now that one we got the eye on.

it was awesome! scary, but awesome!

being without power and internet for 14 days sucked! bad!

I feel for all those effected from the gulf coast all the way up. This time we were spared in NC but usually no matter where they come in they end up right here. My own house in central NC, which we had just remodled, was completely destroyed by hurricane Fran in 96' so I know a little about what is going on down there. It sucks really bad to wake up and not know what to do next for a place to live. My thoughts go out to those who are having to go through all this. I have family in La. I have not talked to yet but hope they are ok and are not being taken advantage of. When Fran came through here our area was without power for two weeks and some people were selling water and ice and other basics for more than double the normal price. I wanted to strangle those idiots! It will be a long, long time before the true extent of the damage is realized and things will never be the same again for those people who were effected.

it's supposed to be illegal for anybody to gouge/take advantage of anybody during a crisis like this. thats why the gas prices haven't skyrocketed yet, but they claim they will by the end of the week!

better fill up now fellas!

they say 1/4 of the worlds oil production is shut down so gas prices will go up between .30-.60 cents per galllon!

but they can't do that yet b/c of that new deal where they can't raise prices due to the current situation.

i work for wal-mart and they put a freeze on any price changes that are supposed to go up.

i had a price change only going up .01 cent, and the system denied the change.

it's been like that for as long as i can remember. the day of the crisis, the mark up system gets put on hold.

to hell with anybody that trys to take advantage of those in need!

but we can not judge, for they will have to answer for their actions one day and they will pay a price far greater than the one they charged those in need!

anyway, happy shootin ya'll!

be safe!

i really could use a case of ammo right about now though. :haha:

and i love how vjor said "little" hurricane.

ya know, it was only the 4th most powerful hurricane to ever form in the atlantic in recorded history and possibly the biggest.

that sucker took up just about the whole damn gulf of mexico!

and to add to that, it was only a category 1 when it ripped across florida.

just think about N.O. if it would not have dropped down to a category 4 right before landfall, just as LILI did a couple years ago.

i believe this baby is going down in the books.

i wasnt suggesting you take advantage of anyone. you cant very well just feed a couple hundred people for nothing. just saying it woulda been a good way to help some people out, and make a couple bucks in the process.

i see new orleans is filling up slowly. id expect that city to be a total loss come next week. hate to say it, but that is part of my reasoning to never moving out of NY state. we dont have that problem. almost no poisonous animals, we get an occasional f1 or once every ten years an f2 where I am, hurricanes dont go past grade 1 or so, and our earthquakes never go past 2 on the ricter scale. we dont have mudslides, but we do have NYC folk. the prices are higher, cost of living is higher, but we get top dollar for wages, usually, although it is recently unbalanced by the surge of NYC and long islanders moving upstate where I am.

we get ice, snow, rain, and the summers are swealtering with 98% humidity even out past 100 degrees on the handful of days it gets that hot.

so when ya'll ask me "why the frig do you stay in ny?"

well, thats why guys. In terms of guns? I can get ALMOST everything you all can get in terms of guns, and I bet i can get them cheaper. the only one who beats my dealer is CDNN that i have seen, and its not by much. I think he has several saigas down there actually, although those arent too cheap because in part of my discussions with them about the lack of importation, and the fact that he can get them still, even if at an inflated price. if you have the money, he can get it. thats what i wanna hear. i dont wanna hear "whuts that pardner?" or "yer from new yark, you dont know shit about guns boy" like i have been getting here in AZ.

NY is a lot better than people give it credit for.

Brace yourselves for the price gouging guys. Gas here in Maryland was $2.67 for regular yesterday, and $2.75 today. Get ready for the $3.00 a gallon gas.

Back to the hurricane- donate to whatever relief agency you trust. Remember that the one's that had the least to begin with are always the one's that are hit the worst. This is a MAJOR disaster, and the hurricanes will just keep getting stronger.

G O B

Sorry Bvamp I wasn't implying anything like that. Hell if I was down there staggering around in a daze and someone offered me a hotdog for a buck fiiddy i would think they were an angel and buy a few if I could. I don't think it would be that easy though, just running a hotdog stand, unless you were selling out of an armored car and sticking them through the gun ports. It is hard enough just trying to give stuff to desparate people in these situations without risking your own safety. There's a lot of people in the water and the lifeboats are full. People in the desparate zone are only just beginning to show their frustrations. Soon it will be all out martial law down there. What a mess. I pray for them and I'm not even religious.

I watched the weather channel and CNN tonight and saw clips of New Orleans cops pointing shotguns at the looters in the French Quarter. Some of those people have gone nuts. They aren't just stealing food and stuff from grocery stores in desparation. About 80 people were in a shoe store stealing high end Nikes and the like. In the middle of a disaster with so many people suffering and such an opportunity to offering a helping hand some choose to steal shoes. Where do these people come from, another planet? Good grief, how pathetic. Fortunately there are far more people lending a helping hand to others than those exploiting the situation. It will take years to re-establish what has been lost as a result of hurricane Katrina.

W. :smoke:

yeh, something is definately wrong with this country, vjor. I am shocked you are just realising that now. this is an example of my loathing for most people in general, and the politicians.

I wish we were more organised in my little band of people back home. This is something I would have liked to go help out with, even if its relieving police to go do the dirty work.

welcome to america, vjor. now you know why people are calling for changes in the political and other governmental areas.

our gov. doesnt care about illegal immigrants lowering AZ and NM wages to the point where citizens cant afford to eat. and they sure dont want you to be able to defend yourself if there is a disaster. I wonder what new york will be like if a katrina hit long island and NYC.

the lack of a timely and major response on the governments behalf is absolutely SHAMEFUL. they arent in a position to be in shock. we need to put the power of the people back in the hands of the people.

Brace yourselves for the price gouging guys. Gas here in Maryland was $2.67 for regular yesterday, and $2.75 today. Get ready for the $3.00 a gallon gas.

Back to the hurricane- donate to whatever relief agency you trust. Remember that the one's that had the least to begin with are always the one's that are hit the worst. This is a MAJOR disaster, and the hurricanes will just keep getting stronger.

G O B

G O B,

I just returned from the gas station where the going price for regular is $3.20 per gallon. :ded::ded:

Even if they release some of the reserves we are going to get tatooed but good. Ten to one the gouge rates won't drop much even after the refineries are restored. This was another license to steal.

I can see this driving inflation and unemployment otherwise known as stagflation as we experienced during the Nixon administration. Prices rose and they froze our wages in the name of combating a broken economy. They created a bunch of make work jobs and paid guys for it to call them employed. No one learned viable skills for future employment in the private sector. You would have thought the dumbocrats were running the country then instead of a "crook". :lolol::lolol:

my faith in our government to look out for mine and other's well being already was iffy. now? its just plain gone. completely. i dont care what anyone says, even I knew new orleans was going to swamp. watch what happens over the next days. then you all might want to ask yourselves why you are paying taxes to a goverment that dont give a rats ass about anyone but themselves.

dont donate to public relief. GO THERE YOURSELF! remember 9/11? remember the millions that were donated? remember where that all went? EVERYWHERE ELSE.

people keep telling me that im overly opinionated, paranoid, or just wrong. well, here is your proof. take it how you want to.

I live in Pope Mississippi. I'm only and hour drive south of Memphis. When the hurricain got here it was still classified as a catagory 1. We finaly got our electricity back on yesterday. The only damage I've seen here is mainly from fallen trees. I lost a few sheets of tin off my barn.

People started saying we were going to run out of gas in the town where I work. Prices jumped from 2.57 to 2.88 yesterday. Every body lined up and bought gas. This morning there is still plenty of gas. The problem started when they were telling on the radio that towns south of here were out of gas. No one bothered to think that if there is only a few gas stations with electricity that of course they would run out of gas.

We are used to being gouged on gas. It is always 15 to 20 cents higher here than it is in towns 20 miles in any direction from here. One man in this area owns 90% of the gas stations. Most of the remaining 10% belong to another man. So we basicly have two people who decide on the gas prices. The few independent stores buy their gas from the guy who owns the other stations. There is no real competition.

Edited by jtoddellis

It only takes about 3 days for society to break down to caveman style when their is no govt. or police control, especially in areas that are poor and predominately black. Flame on if you wish but it's a fact.

The numbers of people in poverty are stable for blacks and latino's . The numbers of whites falling into poverty is increasing by over a million a year. Add that to the fact that most whites below the poverty level are already in the deep south, and you will find that the misery level in the disaster area has everything to do with CLASS, and little to do with ethnicity. Money knows no predudice- only the disdain for those that do not have it. The poor that have lost everything are mostly renters with no insurance, and you can bet that they will recieve little or no reconstruction funds. The wealthy ,however will be well compensated with federal disaster aid, and low intrest loans. Not to mention insurance.

If you think that you would act differently- imagine loosing everything, being left to drown in sewer water with no food, no water and no relief in sight. Dead bodies, many your friends and family-- if you don't think that you would bash in windows and doors to find food and water then you are then you are a sanctimonios asshole. I for one would get a gun and ammo-then take what I needed to survive. If I could get enough valuables to ensure that I could afford to leave the next time you had better not be the one standing in my way.

If you want to find some one to prosicute-How about the assholes who locked their second an third cars and left. Leaving those with no car to die in the deluge? Bet most of them went to church last sunday and felt real good 'cause they were good christians? "watever you do for these, the least of your bretheren you do for me" So the left them to die. The same people will go to church this sunday and pray for the souls of those who died. Bet not one prays for forgiveness for not sharing the recources that may have saved them.

Riots? YOU BET! Who is to blame? The one's rioting are victems already.

G O B

G O B,

I understand what you are saying about poverty being color blind and taking food and water to survive. But what is the sense in stealing shoes, TV's and that kind od stuff when the goal is to get out alive? Why would you take the weapon you get your hands on (to defend yourself, etc.) and shoot policemen and rescue helicopters that are seemingly there to restore order and aid in the evacuation.

No, I wouldn't be a saint but I wouldn't turn into a mindless animal either. Much of the problem lies in the fact that too little was done too late in terms of emergency response by FEMA and Homeland Security. The response was a clusterfuck resulting in leaving poor and dare I say less educated people in terrible circumstances to their own devices.

Little was done to aid in evacuation when they could see the intensity of the storm building and certain to make landfall as at least an F-4. So yes the government is responsible for feeding the fire. But every man, woman and child has to choose what his actions will be. Even if left to fend for themselves they are still responsible for their individual actions and made the choice to loot goods other than for survival and to rape other victims, and to shoot officers of the law and rescue workers. They are not absolved of accountability for their actions despite the poor efforts of the government and being left in a horrible situation. That's what separates the men from the boys.

Oh Shit don't let this one get rolling again.

Oh well I guess I asked for it. Shouldn't have said anything about color to start with. It's true that it has nothing to do with color but about class. Some people have none and show it first when there is an emergency situation at hand. I don't care what color you are or how much money you have, when you are thrown into a desparate situation requiring thought before action there is no excuse for going all out anarchy and helping yourself when there are that many people around you that really need help. Sure get a weapon if you didn't already have one and be prepared use it to defend yourself but don't go robbing and raping and stealing just for your own self gain. Those low life assholes are stealing water and reselling to people for cash.

I'm sorry vjor. I hope this doesn't turn in to one of "those threads."

edit to add... Dang Wolvie types alot faster than me lol.

Edited by Cobra 76 two

the government doesnt CARE about you and me. when are you guys going to fess up to that? it doesnt matter who is in power, what you have or havent done, you are SCREWED. PERIOD.

buy another ak47. buy a case of ammo and the mags to load it into and watch your OWN back is what I say. then there is the matter of taxes....seeing how mine dont DO anything for me or anybody else, why do I pay them?