Up front, first commandment: Thou shalt not turn thread into 9mm versus anything debate nor shall ye suggest glocks, sigs or sharp sticks instead.

Now with that out of the way... I'm about to buy a new pistol, primarily for carry. I'm at a stalemate at choosing between a Kel Tec PF9 or a subcompact PX4 in 9mm. I already have a full size PX4, so with the sub compact I'd have pleasure of sharing magazines, holsters, and whatever other accessories in common for the most part. I'm not sold on its size, though... no doubt more concealable than a full size but its by no mean as small or thin as a PF9. I've handled and shot the PF9 and do like it quite a bit. Even with buying a couple of extra mags and new holsters I'd come out a little cheaper still with the PF9.

Anyone else made a similar decision and care to weigh in on what you've experienced with either?

I like the idear of "like firearms", I have a pistol in a cal I like,

Getting my Son one, same Manf, same cal, diff modle.

We can share mags and ammo.

I have 3 shotguns, all 12ga.

My next rifle will be same cal as my first.

My$0.02.

• Like 2

I agree with RED333. I use Glocks for that reason. I got started with them and have become very familiar with the operation. It becomes automatic after a while. I have other handguns, but choose to use the old standby for my ccw. I figure I don't need any suprises in a stressful situation. Plus the mag sharring and holster sharring capabilities are a real bonus. I have a Galco King-Tuck that will handle a compact, mid and fullsize Glock.

Just the opposite of Red, lol. I have a full size Beretta PX4 and a Kel-Tec PF9. Love em both, but the PX4 isn't ideal for CCW of course. I haven't actually handled a PX4 sub but have ran a XD sub which is similar in size. The PF9 is my carry choice over that hands down. I have a "Packin-Tee" tee shirt and the PF9 disappears in it. Compatibility is nice between weapons but "mission specific" lets you tailor to what works best in specific situations.

Oh, and 9mm is an adequate bullet, it just needs a bit more powder behind it. That's why I JB Welded some 9s to 50 BMC cases. Now I'm having trouble finding a carry weapon chambered for them. Can anyone help me out?

I own a Keltec 9MM 1st generation and the trigger is horrible. I would suggest to shop around and dry fire as may 9MM pistols you are considering. Do not just shop on price, as your life may depend on it. Have you considered a Bersa?

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/bersa-bp9cc-9mm-review/

Good luck on your decision,

Yakdung

Edited by yakdung

Px4 sub compact is my vote. I've owned the PF9 and wasn't all that impressed with it. Not a gun you shoot alot and the trigger is not the best. I have a full size M&P and just got the Sub Compact. Love it. Love I can share mags, feel is the same, etc. If you set on a single stack 9mm check out the Kahr CM9 or Berreta Nano. I own the Kahr and it's the same weight as the PF9 but actually a bit smaller. Trigger is 1000x times better and it's surprisingly accurate for a pocket gun.

I'd also vote for the Px4 Subcompact. I love my Px4 full size. Mag interchangeability is nice plus you're already familiar with the manual of arms.

I would also agree with xICEMANx that if you're thinking single stack the CM9 (which I have) or the Nano (which I may trade for because I'm a Beretta nerd) is a good option for getting a more PF9 profile.

You should get a glock in .45 because all other guns explode on the first shot and then FTE and any caliber less than .451 has so little stopping power it actually makes your attacker stronger....

Seriously though, I'd get the subcompact PX4 to save money on accessories and time on training.

Every full sized gun wants a younger sibling.

• Like 1

You should get a glock in .45 because all other guns explode on the first shot and then FTE and any caliber less than .451 has so little stopping power it actually makes your attacker stronger....

You must be referring to those new 9mm Hybrid Vitamin/Steroid/PCP Bullets coated in Adrenaline and Badger Milk!

Remember, .449 Caliber will just make the perp angry and will bounce off of him like Nerf arrows!

haha.gif

Glock 19

Now that that's out of the way.................biggrin.png

I vote for the PX4 sub-compact.

-You're already familiar with the controls.

-Mag commonality.

-Holster commonality.

-Almost double the amount of rounds, compared to the PF9.

About the only plusses I can see to the PF9 in this case, is that it's cheaper and smaller. Those 2 things wouldn't be enough to sway me away from the PX4. (......and really, the size issue is a huge trade-off, since the mag cap difference is so big)

• Like 1

I am a glock man so I know how nice being able to use the same mags and accsesories can be. That being said if you are looking for a small 9mm that is smaller than the subcompacts you may want to check out the diamond back 9mm. Also I heard that sig wil be making a 9mm that is just like their p238 380. I have shot one of those and I have a keltec 380 and I must say there is no comparison. The sig has a very nice light trigger and very well built. It was very accurate as well and could be used for target shooting if you wanted to. Don't get me wrong you can shoot a keltec 380 for target shooting but it is nowhere near as rewarding.

I really appreciate everyone's input! I'm actually surprised how many folks actually have PX4's, I've always thought of them as somewhat obscure pistols. Anyway, right now what I'm leaning towards is actually picking up the PF9 first, then getting the sub compact PX4 as well later on in the summer. Why settle when you can have both? lol. One of the weak points of the PX4 are the sights and if I get the SC, I'll want to drop a hundred bucks on some trijicons night sights for it for certain. Plus I might just wait until they come out with the inox sub compacts as well.

I really appreciate everyone's input! I'm actually surprised how many folks actually have PX4's, I've always thought of them as somewhat obscure pistols. Anyway, right now what I'm leaning towards is actually picking up the PF9 first, then getting the sub compact PX4 as well later on in the summer. Why settle when you can have both? lol. One of the weak points of the PX4 are the sights and if I get the SC, I'll want to drop a hundred bucks on some trijicons night sights for it for certain. Plus I might just wait until they come out with the inox sub compacts as well.

Same route I'll probably go since I already have the PX4 and PF9. I don't mind a slightly larger carry gun depending on temperature/weather conditions and do prefer the looks of the Beretta over the XD sub. Not to knock the XD, It's an excellent shooter.

As to the Full size PX4, you're right. They are not as prevalent as other guns but that wouldn't stop me from getting one. Mine has had 4000 rounds through it with nary a glitch. My son used it when he took an ESI course and it drew a lot of curiosity and praise. His Sig 226 was, shall we say "in the shop" at the time.

Well, I just placed my order, should have the PF9 in hand sometime next week. Go figure, the regular blued/black just sold out so I just went ahead and upgraded myself to the hard chrome.

Any thoughts on holsters? The clipless remora holsters seem interesting. I'm not planning on going with the belt clip, just don't seem kosher tongue.png