We have our stored water for emergencies, we each have our personal filtration in our 72hr kits with Katadyn's 'MyBottle'.

I've been wanting something for the house, since we plan on Bugging-In in the event of whatever SHTF scenario, short of TEOTWAWKI.

Something to filter unsafe tap water, water from the creek, rainwater or suspect storage water.

I've settled on Berkey Black filters, and using them in a DIY two tier 5gal gravity filter.

Similar to this, http://www.alpharubicon.com/kids/homemadeberkeydaire.htm

The Berkey Black filters are pretty damned good.

http://www.berkeyfilters.com/berkeytech.htm?gclid=CMWCmdi6y64CFeYGRQodylxoBA

The Black Berkey water filter element used in all of our systems takes water filtration to a new level. During testing conducted by independent EPA approved laboratories the Black Berkey reduced a long list of water contaminants with never before seen results, and significantly raises the standard for the water filter industry. Read the extensive list below and see for yourself the ability of these amazing water filters.

Black Berkey purifier elements are far more powerful compared to competitors water filters. We tested the filters with more than 10,000 times the concentration of harmful pathogens per liter of water than is required by industry standard test protocols. This concentration of pathogens is so high that the water exiting the filters should be expected to contain 100,000 or more of pathogens per liter (99.99% reduction - the requirement in order to be classified for pathogenic removal). Incredibly Berkey water filter elements removed 100% of the pathogens. Absolutely no pathogens were found in the effluent or were able to be detected. This sets a new standard, allowing us to classify all systems containing the Black Berkey filters as purifiers. The revolutionary Berkey purifier elements are so powerful they can remove food coloring from the water without removing any of the beneficial minerals your body needs. blackberkey.jpg

The Black Berkey™ filter element had extensive testing at State & EPA accredited laboratories and far exceed EPA & ANSI/NSF (Std. 53) protocol. The Black Berkey filters have been Tested by the University of Phoenix. Spectrum Labs and the Department of Toxicology and Environmental Science Louisiana University.

Because the versatile Black Berkey® purification elements fit most other manufacturers gravity water filters, off brand gravity filtration systems can be upgraded to a purifier, with little effort. This high quality replacement filter vastly improves other brand,s housings ability to remove unwanted water contaminates.

Each Berkey element has a life of 3000 gallons. An incredible 6000 gallons for a 2 filter system (less than 2 cents per gallon of water). This is possible because of the filters unique ability to be cleaned up to 100 times using a 3M Scotch Brite Pad.

buyfilters.gif$107.00 per set of 2

The Black Berkey Purification elements remove or reduce the following contaminant

Viruses

MS2 - Fr Coliphage

Berkey Exceeds Purification Standards - 99.999%

Trihalomethanes

Bromodichloromethane,

Bromofore, Chloroform, Dibromochloromethane

Removed to below detectable limits - 99.99999%

Pathogenic Bacteria Parasites and Cysts

E. Coli, Klebsiella, Pseudomonas,

Aeriginousis, Giardia, Cryptosporidium

Removed to non-detectable levels - 100%

Inorganic Minerals:

Chlorine

Removed to non-detectable levels - greater than 99.9999999%

Heavy Metals

Lead, Mercury, Aluminum, Cadmium, Chromium, Copper

Greater than 95% reduction

Fertilizers and Related Byproducts

Nitrates and Nitrites

Greater than 85% reduction

at 19mg. per liter

Fluoride

With the addition of the Berkey Fluoride Filter you can reduce Fluoride Greater than 95%

More Berkey

water test documents

Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC's)

Removed to below detectable limits - 99.9999999%

Alachlor

Atrazine

Benzene

Carbofuran

Carbon Tetrachloride

Chlorine

Chlorobenzene

Chloroform

2,4-D

dbcp

p-Dichlorobenzene

o-Dichlorobenzene

1, 1-Dichloroethane

1, 2-Dichlorpethane

1, 1-Dichloroethylene

Cis-1, 2-

Dichloroethyiene

Trans-1,2-

Dichloroethylene

1, 2-Dichloropropane

cis-l,3-

Dichloropropylene

Dinoseb

Endrin

Ethylbenzene

Ethylene Dibromide (EDB)

Heptachlor

Heptachlor Epoxide

Hexachlorobutodlene

Hexachloro-

Cyclopentadlene

Lindane

Methoxychlor

MTBE

Pentachlorophenol

Simazine

Styrene

1,1,2,2-

Tetrachloroethane

Tetrachloroethylene

Toluene

2,4,5-TP (Silvex)

1,2,4-trichlorobenzene

1,1,1-trichloroethane

1,1,2-trichloroethane

Trichloroethylene

o-Xylene

m-Xylene

• Like 1

How bout the Katadyn Expedition? 26K Gallons.

1)

While the Katadyn expedition is a great biological filter for large volume use, and it has a excellent lifespan.

It is not for use where various chemical pollution is a concern, such as the sources that we would be using.

2)No one wants to have to pump the water through the filter.

3) It doesn't remove...

Inorganic Minerals:

Chlorine

Removed to non-detectable levels - greater than 99.9999999%

Heavy Metals

Lead, Mercury, Aluminum, Cadmium, Chromium, Copper

Greater than 95% reduction

Fertilizers and Related Byproducts

Nitrates and Nitrites

Greater than 85% reduction

at 19mg. per liter

Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC's)

Removed to below detectable limits - 99.9999999%

Alachlor

Atrazine

Benzene

Carbofuran

Carbon Tetrachloride

Chlorine

Chlorobenzene

Chloroform

2,4-D

dbcp

p-Dichlorobenzene

o-Dichlorobenzene

1, 1-Dichloroethane

1, 2-Dichlorpethane

1, 1-Dichloroethylene

Cis-1, 2-

Dichloroethyiene

Trans-1,2-

Dichloroethylene

1, 2-Dichloropropane

cis-l,3-

Dichloropropylene

Dinoseb

Endrin

Ethylbenzene

Ethylene Dibromide (EDB)

Heptachlor

Heptachlor Epoxide

Hexachlorobutodlene

Hexachloro-

Cyclopentadlene

Lindane

Methoxychlor

MTBE

Pentachlorophenol

Simazine

Styrene

1,1,2,2-

Tetrachloroethane

Tetrachloroethylene

Toluene

2,4,5-TP (Silvex)

1,2,4-trichlorobenzene

1,1,1-trichloroethane

1,1,2-trichloroethane

Trichloroethylene

o-Xylene

m-Xylene

Edited by ChileRelleno

No, but our water table here around Mobile, AL, and our area in particular, is so high, that I could probably hand dig one in a day.

Being a shallow well, I'd still be wanting to filter well water.

Edited by ChileRelleno

I'm not above drinking right out of a creek either (depending on the creek),

Until you get Beaver Fever (maybe this needs to be in Beaver Shot topic)

Creek water is fine but remeber Fish screw in it. You need to boil it at least.

• Like 1

I'm not above drinking right out of a creek either (depending on the creek),

Until you get Beaver Fever (maybe this needs to be in Beaver Shot topic)

Creek water is fine but remeber Fish screw in it. You need to boil it at least.

ditto on that. I spend alot of time in what's supposed to be pristene wilderness and got that when I was 13 from drinking out of a brook way off the beaten path. I still won't drink untreated water in the woods, the time sick isn't worth the time saved for me.

I used to do trail work for the forest service, and when you're working out in the sun all day, it gets pretty tiresome filtering gallons of water out of a creek every day. The time saved became worth it for me. I've been drinking unfiltered creek water for years and haven't ever gotten sick. I do know a couple people who have, but they both drank out of creeks I wouldn't touch, for reasons the creeks' names should make obvious - "Moose Creek" and "Big Creek." Small creeks that don't flow a long way are less likely to be tainted by animals. Tepid creeks that meander for miles through meadows/pastures where animals wallow will probably make you sick.

You have to be judicious. There's always a chance, but beaver feaver won't kill you. If you're desperate enough, you'll drink whatever's available because it'll keep you alive. I carry a small water filter in case I have to resort to a less than desireable source.

But what did our ancestors do without water filters, purell, and feminine hygeine wipes? True, some of them died of cholera, but we've discovered bacteria and figured out that we should try to keep our shit away from our drinking water since then. In my opinion, people are a little obsessive about germs these days. We didn't evolve in an aseptic environment, and our bodies are made to deal with fighting off infections. Being overly clean could actually lead to health problems too (http://www.scienceda...70905174501.htm, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helminthic_therapy).

But then again, it depends on where you live. I'm damn well not drinking out of any creek that flows through town. It goes back to being judicious about your specific source.

Edited by Dudethebagman
  • Like 3

I got the Sawyer Point Zero Two that filters 5 gallons in less than an hour. It's rated for one million gallons. Paid around $130.00 for it. It came with a few accessories for drilling a hole in a five gallon bucket and a back flush system. When I purchased it a few years back, I wanted the best, and at that time research made me believe it was the best.

If you take a clear plastic pop bottle, pull off the label, fill it with water, put the bottle in full sun on a piece of metal like a tin roof for 6 hours.

The water will be okay to drink. The sun's UVA radiation kills all the bad critters (viruses, bacteria, and parasites)

In an emergency situation this might be good to know.

This is called SODIS, an acronym for Swiss-pioneered water-disinfection program. It is used all over the world in poor places to purify water.

Think about it, simple and free and it works!!

How vaible would filtered swimming pool water be-seems to be a endless supply in my area.

Depends on the condition of the water, how long it has been unfiltered/agitated/uncovered and untreated with chlorine.

The FDA says that water is safe to drink with chlorine levels up to 4 ppm, tap-water chlorine here is 1-2 ppm, probably just enough to keep it safe from bacteria.

If using swimming pool water to drink, it is highly recommended to check it first for its chlorine level, and for even better safety, treat it prior to drinking by boiling it for 1 minute.

And/or, it is also a great idea to filter the water with a quality drinking water filter, which will not only effectively remove bacteria and pathogens, but will make it taste better.

Sunlight will quickly break down chlorine, so if you plan on using your pool for drinking water, cover it ASAP, this will also help keep other contaminants out as well.

Many people add other chemicals to their pool's water, without good chemical filtration, you could be in for some unpleasant surprises drinking from an unknown pool.

the berkey is the shit. they now offer filters for all the industrial waste you find in public water sources.

i have really good well water from the mountains so all i really need for daily use is an in-line particulate filter.

when the UN rolls in from Canada, the grid will be down on the well from time to time so the stored rain water can be filtered as needed by the Berkey. you can pres treat the rain water and remove any residuals left from sterilization tabs or drops.

just get the cheapest plastic model and an extra filter. put it up high and dry with detailed instructions. may save your life.

if you are unfortunate enough to have city water, get the classy stainlees filter with the additional chemical filter and you will turn that toxic crap into mountain spring water!

dehydration is rampant in America! Drink water! BEAT THE HEAT!

We've got a hand pump well and an old cesspool that hasn't been use for anything but gray water for 20+years. And a funtionaing outhouse!

I've got one of these for filtration...http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/CAMP356-1.html for both home and evac as well as a personal filter straw in my truck bag.

Our back porch is actually an old cistern but it leaks into the basement so I have plans to make it a "safe room/storm celler" of sorts. We also have an intermittent creek on the grounds and a year round creek across the road.

Also don't forget distilling your water. If your heating your house, you might as well boil water as well.

I'm lucky to have a deep well. The water has so much iron it ain't funny! But there is plenty of it, and my treatment plant works good. For drinking water we use a 4 pass RO system.

Think about it, simple and free and it works!!

The method works, so does drinking your own filtered piss. It will do in a pinch but you really need to consider the chemicals that are introduced to the water. Don't let them fool you, the ultra violet isn't the only thing killing microrganisms. You will get a nice toxic dose of Pcb and other petrol based leeching agents from the heating of the bottle.

Better than being dead from dehydration. Not a safe or logical alternative to safe and healthy water for you and yours.

Not trying to be a Dick about this, just really important people know that this method is a last resort in third world countries. Not something you should serve your troops or family.

I tell ya... Prepping makes a man feel good about taking care of his family.

If I lose my job, if the facade of this false Financial System & Economy crumbles and our money truly worthless.

We will not be one of the millions scrambling like rats for the forsaken crumbs.

Just came back from WallyWorld with 150 rolls of toilet paper (approx 8-9 months), 100 rolls of paper towels (approx 1yr), 16 bars of bath soap, two large stick deodorants, two large tubes of toothpaste, 4 toothbrushes, assorted batteries, and enough first aid supplies to make a corpsman smile in appreciation.

And a trip to WallyWorld is not complete without grabbing some ammo... Never walk out of WW without a box or two of ammo... 1 box of Federal bulk 12g 2.75" #7.5 and a boc of Federal 550 bulk .22lr HP followed me home.

I highly recommend a 4 pass RO for the water you drink and cook with. Works with a well or city water. Another consideration is storage, My treatment system has a 20 gal pressure tank, a 75 gal tempering tank, and there is 40gal in the water heater. If you don't need to treat your water, the 75 gal tank and a check valve is still a great idea. You can get one cheap, and it really helps regulate the water flow, no more shower pressure going away if someone uses the garden hose.

Why not do it in clear glass jars then?

Yes, use glass jars, like 1/2 gallon clear mason canning jars.

I highly recommend a 4 pass RO for the water you drink and cook with. Works with a well or city water. Another consideration is storage, My treatment system has a 20 gal pressure tank, a 75 gal tempering tank, and there is 40gal in the water heater. If you don't need to treat your water, the 75 gal tank and a check valve is still a great idea. You can get one cheap, and it really helps regulate the water flow, no more shower pressure going away if someone uses the garden hose.

GOB, please say more about a tempering tank.

Where is it in the system.

Is it higher in altitude than the fixtures where it will provide a gravity flow after the pressure is gone.

I am really interested in this thought line.

I am going to do this to my well head in the next few weeks.......no purification needed......

It will probably get me put on some sort of "Watch" list..............

Yep, that's a good setup. Silly not to if you have a well.

I already bought the hand pump, it's brand new sitting in a box (bought a set of spare seals they sell for it too). I just need the pipe and fittings to put it all together. Not going to bother with the part meant to pressurize the whole house through the garden faucet, I just want to be able to draw buckets of clean water out of the well with no electricity needed.

• Like 1

Why not do it in clear glass jars then?

Yes, use glass jars, like 1/2 gallon clear mason canning jars.

GOB, please say more about a tempering tank.

Where is it in the system.

Is it higher in altitude than the fixtures where it will provide a gravity flow after the pressure is gone.

I am really interested in this thought line.

I am interested in the tempering tank also......where does it go?

If I put one in the attic could I actually increase mean water pressure in the house?

BTW....no need to purify, water is CLEAN as long as you LOVE iron!!

Edited by armory

well i drink from the little river when im up in the GSMNP. the water is safe for people, but causes some of the small critters to struggle in population due to the acidic nature of the local rain. plus there are 3 natural springs on my buddies land where we have a plan b for shtf. but for what you guys are talking about, theres nothing wrong with picking up some water filtration units. even the ones you can hang in the trees would be better than nothing. especialy if the water gets contaminated by an outside source on purpose. but like always, if your unsure of the source, best to boil before use...

hell i even got the tablets that you can drop in piss and drink.....havent done it yet though....021.gif im still a little leary of my own piss after a night of drinkin....

but on a serious note, a well wouldnt be a bad idea.

well i drink from the little river when im up in the GSMNP. the water is safe for people, but causes some of the small critters to struggle in population due to the acidic nature of the local rain. plus there are 3 natural springs on my buddies land where we have a plan b for shtf. but for what you guys are talking about, theres nothing wrong with picking up some water filtration units. even the ones you can hang in the trees would be better than nothing. especialy if the water gets contaminated by an outside source on purpose. but like always, if your unsure of the source, best to boil before use...

hell i even got the tablets that you can drop in piss and drink.....havent done it yet though....021.gif im still a little leary of my own piss after a night of drinkin....

Careful drinking directly from a river or a stream my friend. Backpackers disease is a bitch if you catch it:

"Unlike bacteria, Giardia cysts and Cryptosporidium oocysts are more resistant to conventional water treatment, such as: chlorination and ultraviolet irradiation. The primary reason is that these organisms have a cyst stage that exists outside the host, i.e., you, me, and other animals. In the cyst stage, a thick cell wall protects the organism from these conventional treatment methods. Not only does the cyst stage protect the organism during disinfection, this stage also permits the organism to stay "dormant" for many months in stream sediments or other moist environments."

http://www.water-research.net/giardia1.html

Yakdung

Careful drinking directly from a river or a stream my friend. Backpackers disease is a bitch if you catch it:

"Unlike bacteria, Giardia cysts and Cryptosporidium oocysts are more resistant to conventional water treatment, such as: chlorination and ultraviolet irradiation. The primary reason is that these organisms have a cyst stage that exists outside the host, i.e., you, me, and other animals. In the cyst stage, a thick cell wall protects the organism from these conventional treatment methods. Not only does the cyst stage protect the organism during disinfection, this stage also permits the organism to stay "dormant" for many months in stream sediments or other moist environments."

http://www.water-res...t/giardia1.html

Yakdung

thanks for the heads up!

Subscribed for an education. I've got a small hand filter, that's it.

Any idea how long those big, water cooler sized, plastic jugs last?

Have a link, make/model?