First off I used the search bar to no avail. So I got a new Saiga 12 w/ 19" 4 port bbl and bolt hold open (unconverted). When I shot it for the first time 8/9 shells failed to eject using both high and low brass with the stock magazine. I haven't shot it since.

I discovered I have a 4 port bbl with decent alignment. (2 ports might be 10%~ blocked)

And I was hip firing when the fte's occurred.

My questions are

-Can fte's be caused by limpwristing or hip firing?

-Is there a best way to break in a new saiga 12?

Thanks

• did you check the gas ports to make sure they are open, insert something into each port and verify it enters the barrel?
  • were you using the proper plug setting?
  • yes, hip firing can cause FTE's

+1

What kind of ammo?

Edited by evlblkwpnz

• did you check the gas ports to make sure they are open, insert something into each port and verify it enters the barrel?

Yes and yes. I visibly verified all 4 ports with a paperclip and used setting 1 for highbrass buckshot.

I was told to break it in with bulk birdshot but this forum seems to suggest otherwise, should I break it in with high power loads?

Thanks,

+1

What kind of ammo?

I started with cheap winchester 'universal' bird shot from wall mart and switched to federal 2 3/4 00 buck. Some fte's were stovepiped and some were allingned with the bbl. Hopefully shouldering it will solve the problem.

Don't break it in with any kind of ammo....(HUGE WASTE OF MONEY). If you plan on converting it re profile your new tapco hammer and carrier which will reduce a substantial amount of friction. If your FTE issue still isn't cleared up you can open up your gas ports or do a D mod on the gas block. The D mod on your gas block uncovers partially blocked ports. Like hog76 said use something to check and see if the ports are obstructed. A bent paper clip or dental picks work great. I bought this set of picks for 7 or 8 bucks and I've used them for everything from clearing debris in gas ports to putting my BHO spring back in. Cheap yet very efficient tools. But check out the stickies here, everything you need to know is there!

post-36889-0-68955500-1331016513_thumb.jpg

The instruction of the MD Arms V-plug specifically state that "test fire from the hip" and adjust gas setting accordingly. I think although this will probably overgas the system when shooting from the shoulder, it ensures proper functioning of the gun under the most adverse condition/instinctive shooting from hip (during combat)

Don't worry about over-gassing. If you've really bored out your gas ports you could over-gas it to the point of failure, but since you haven't, you'll be fine.

Not sure where these guys are getting Tapco hammer from but it sounds like you've got some gas issues to work out when you get ready to convert.

Oh and as stated above, firing from the hip is a no-no without modifications...

Not sure where these guys are getting Tapco hammer from

biggrin.png

Good catch, I don't believe the OP has stated what configuration the gun is in. We have had plenty of members convert before ever shooting. I figured this could be another case of that.

Poor assumption on my part.

biggrin.png

Good catch, I don't believe the OP has stated what configuration the gun is in. We have had plenty of members convert before ever shooting. I figured this could be another case of that.

I also jumped to conclusions on this one

Edited by renegade331

biggrin.png

Well, the first line of his post says the gun is unconverted, in parenthesis...

Its in stock sporting configuration and I plan on "restoring" it. After recently shouldering my 12 it ran fine with 00 buckshot, but still fte'd with small loads, which is fine with me. Thanks for all the info. Im anxious to convert and will be doing my research in the meantime

FWIW, Both of mine have always worked fine from the hip with any ammo that will run from the shoulder. That is kinda the point of gas operated... IMO if it won't run from every position, give it some more gas &/or get rid of some friction.

• Like 1

biggrin.png

Ahhh should of read a little closer beaten.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Im the OP for this thread and just want to give everyone an update. I was using cheap winchester shells that were several years old when I started this thread. It shoots great now and it was definately the ammo and not the gun. It cycles bulk federal great and im pleased with the weapon. Thanks for all the info and happy plinkin

• Like 1

biggrin.png

Ahhh should of read a little closer beaten.gif

I meant that I almost missed it as well...

• 2 weeks later...

First off I used the search bar to no avail. So I got a new Saiga 12 w/ 19" 4 port bbl and bolt hold open (unconverted). When I shot it for the first time 8/9 shells failed to eject using both high and low brass with the stock magazine. I haven't shot it since.

I discovered I have a 4 port bbl with decent alignment. (2 ports might be 10%~ blocked)

And I was hip firing when the fte's occurred.

My questions are

-Can fte's be caused by limpwristing or hip firing?

-Is there a best way to break in a new saiga 12?

Thanks

What were you shooting? First question you'll get every time. If it was low brass then get a gas plug and try that.

I disagree. Read here new guy. It answers the questions you asked.

http://forum.saiga-1...__fromsearch__1

Short answer is that breaking in doesn't make sense. evaluation and deburring does. it likely sounds like you are a canditate for knocking off your block and making sure your ports are good.

No plug adds gas that isn't there in the first place.

Edited by GunFun

Don't worry about over-gassing. If you've really bored out your gas ports you could over-gas it to the point of failure, but since you haven't, you'll be fine.

Not sure where these guys are getting Tapco hammer from but it sounds like you've got some gas issues to work out when you get ready to convert.

Oh and as stated above, firing from the hip is a no-no without modifications...

what mods are you talking about?

md arms v plug?

I have fte's only when i shoot from the hip. and it doesn't happen every time either. I'd like to get EVILBLACK reliability

Edited by crankywanker

Drilling gas ports. Parts aren't mods.

touche. I suppose I'm getting my car forum mixed up with my gun forum. My apologies.

No worries, I don't think any bolt-on part is a mod on a car as well. I cringe when I hear, "full bolt-on mods" the same as I cringe when I hear, "clip" instead of "magazine"...

well typically us car enthusiasts consider a "mod" anything that modifies the vehicle. to change it from it's original configuration. things like superchargers, a modification to the transmission by putting a transmission cooling radiator. things like that. v. mod·i·fied, mod·i·fy·ing, mod·i·fies. v.tr. 1. To change in form or character; alter.

True but usually it's a completely different part, for instance, I jerked the TH350 and replaced it with a professionally built 700-R4, which required modifying a few existing parts, like the crossmember and shortening the driveshaft. Also jerked the old tired camel humps and replaced them with vortecs which, of course, required a new intake. Since all of that was going to already be off the engine, might as well change the cam too but due to the lift on the cam, machining and special springs were needed for the vortecs. Cam and intake were "bolt-ons" whereas the heads and transmission were mods because existing parts had to be modified or fabricated.

For instance, if one were to buy a completely different gas block for their S-12, even though it completely changes the mannerisms of the weapon, if all that is needed is to drive out a couple of pins and replacement, it's a part. If anything needed to be permanently modified to install it, meaning you can't return back to stock without entirely new parts, it's a mod.

Well, to each his own. I always thought that custom was adding a personalized touch that can't be bought over the counter. Whatever though, I obviously have no clue what I'm talking about. Well, I guess I'm off to cruise for a bit in my Corvette that I have built from the ground up...

Then maybe I'll do some drum dumps with the old S-12 from the hip...

rolleyes2.gif